So, you've heard the clip, what do you think?  

318 members have voted

1. 1. So, you've heard the clip, what do you think?

• Best song on the album.
    • Er.. I mean it's okay. It may grow on me.
    • I can't wait to hear the rest of that guitar solo!!!
    • What the fuck @ 80s style production?
    • I hate it.

I don't think this song is half as bad as people think. It's just they either want something more energetic or something dark and dramatic. It's why Soldier's Poem, Endlessly and Screenager are equally unpopular.

I feel the same. I didn't like it at first, but I really like the solo, and I think that Matt belts the vocals enough to carry the song along. Anyone else's vocals and anyone else's solo would have left me pretty disappointed.

I don't think this song is half as bad as people think. It's just they either want something more energetic or something dark and dramatic. It's why Soldier's Poem, Endlessly and Screenager are equally unpopular.

I don't think they're quite as unpopular...

Personally, I think Guiding Light was a good idea, and it starts off well, but then it doesn't really go anywhere. It's a bit like they weren't sure what to do with it after the first bit and then just kept repeating the sort-of-pseudo-chorus. Which is a shame.

• 2 weeks later...
Guiding Light (known as The Guiding Light before 1975, or simply GL) is an American daytime television drama and is credited by the Guinness Book of World Records as being the longest-running soap opera in production and the longest running drama in television and radio history, from 1937-2009.[1] It is also among the longest running broadcast programs in history of any kind, across radio media for 15 years, and then television media for 57 years, being first broadcast five days after President Franklin D. Roosevelt's second inauguration. It aired on radio from January 25, 1937, to June 29, 1956, and debuted on CBS Television on June 30, 1952 running for 57 years. The series was expanded from 15 minutes to a half hour in 1968, and then to a full hour on November 7, 1977. In 2009, CBS Daytime did not renew Guiding Light, and the final episode aired on CBS on September 18, 2009[4] (see below: The End ).

Guiding Light was created by Irna Phillips, and began as an NBC Radio serial on January 25, 1937. In 1947 the show moved to CBS radio,[5] before starting on television on June 30, 1952, on CBS television. The show's title refers to a lamp in the study of Reverend Dr. John Ruthledge, a major character when The Guiding Light debuted in 1937, that family and residents could see as a sign for them to find help when needed.

===================================================

le touessrok mauritius nissan ac compressor

COOL STORY BRO.

Guiding Light was broadcast from three locations: Chicago, Illinois (where creator Irna Phillips resided), from 1937 until 1946; Hollywood, California, from 1947 until 1949; and New York City since 1949. It was moved from Chicago to Hollywood (despite objections of both Phillips and Arthur Peterson) to take advantage of the talent pool. Production was subsequently moved to New York City, where the majority of soaps broadcast from during the 1950s, '60s and much of the '70s; it remained based in New York City until the show's conclusion. Its final taping location was the CBS studios in midtown Manhattan. From the 1970s to the 1990s it was filmed at the Chelsea Studios.[9] From shortly before February 29, 2008, outdoor scenes were shot on location in Peapack, New Jersey.[10] The location filming coincided with another significant production change, as the series became the first American weekday soap opera to be recorded digitally. The production team chose to shoot with Canon XH-G1 HDV camcorders. Unlike the old production model with pedestal-style cameras and traditional three-sided sets, handheld cameras allowed producers to choose as many locations as they wish.

Final seasons

In the daytime drama's 71st season on radio and 56th season on CBS, the show had changed its look to a more "realistic" experience. On February 29, 2008 a new show opening replaced the anniversary opening. The new look of Guiding Light included free-hand camera work and less action shown on traditional studio sets. Producer Ellen Wheeler introduced a "shaky-cam" style, present in a number of films, featuring extreme-closeups and frequent cuts, including those that "broke the axis" (which proved disorienting to viewers accustomed to shows with the traditional "soap opera look"). Also new was the shooting of outdoor scenes that took place in actual outdoor settings. Even many indoor scenes had more of an "on location" feel, utilizing repurposing real locations, such as GL's production offices, to be motel rooms, nail salons, quick-mart and other businesses or locations. Thereby, the show had numerous sets without the cost of numerous separate locations.

CBS and the show's producers had hoped that the new look would help reinvent the show and raise ratings, making the longest-running program in daytime history a model for the future of daytime, but the plan was ultimately unsuccessful. The new production style was partly adopted by at least two other CBS soaps. Both The Bold and the Beautiful (for example, Bikini Beach and areas around the Forrester Creations building) and As the World Turns (for example the Snyder farm, the lake, and numerous other scenes featuring the teenage characters) have notably increased their use of this style in their daily production, where before those types of shoots were limited to special trips taken by the characters.

• 2 months later...
Has anyone heard the alleged man with a broom at the end of Guiding Light?

And if someone has, can they post up a link?

I'm a little confused, how can one hear a man with a broom? :(

What does he sound like?

Also, is it only me who thinks that they can hear their mum is saying 'Oscar' at 2:39, when it's actually Matt's echo?

hehe it always makes me look around if i'm got my earphones in. :p

• 4 weeks later...

*searches and digs up thread*

I didn't know where to put this, or if it's already been discussed, but the "stream" sound after the snare drum hits, does that have an explanation. It's actually my favorite part of the song.

Anyway, I just saw this video on youtube, and I was thinking that the water-ish sound is the echo since Dom is playing the snare in an open field full of... sheep. :LOL:

*searches and digs up thread*

I didn't know where to put this, or if it's already been discussed, but the "stream" sound after the snare drum hits, does that have an explanation. It's actually my favorite part of the song.

Anyway, I just saw this video on youtube, and I was thinking that the water-ish sound is the echo since Dom is playing the snare in an open field full of... sheep. :LOL:

Yes, it's the water in the stream making the sound.

I LOVE GUIDING LIGHT IN ALL OF IT'S CHEESEY BALLAD GOODNESS. :awesome:

And I am not afraid to admit it, people. GIVE IT MORE THAN HALF A LISTEN.

Also, I must admit that the "making of" GL on The Resistance DVD helped a wee bit....and that wonderful piece of guitar solo wonder.

My name is Chelsie Baird and I love Guiding Light.:eek:

http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Yes-I-actually-love-Guiding-Light-by-MUSE/340598643259?ref=ts

http://www.straight.com/article-299423/vancouver/conspiracy-rock-n-roll

Bellamy echoes the bassist’s feeling that Muse has an underappreciated sense of humour, saying with a chuckle, “People probably wouldn’t know that we can see the funny side, especially with the melodrama and pushing the theatrical elements to the limit.” Anybody who watched the “making of” videos that accompanied The Resistance would have seen the band cracking itself up during the recording of “Guiding Light”, a synth-drenched breakup song that trades sensitivity for operatic mega-emotion, like a throwback to Midge Ure’s daft and pompous “Vienna”-era Ultravox.

“That was another moment when we were, like, ‘Can we allow this to go on the album?’ ” Wolstenholme admits. And then they did.

:noey: