So, you've heard the clip, what do you think?  

318 members have voted

1. 1. So, you've heard the clip, what do you think?

• Best song on the album.
    • Er.. I mean it's okay. It may grow on me.
    • I can't wait to hear the rest of that guitar solo!!!
    • What the fuck @ 80s style production?
    • I hate it.

Nope.

It's a rather well written song I think. The melodies are clever and don't smack of cheese like the instrumentation does.

It's a billion miles better than the rest of Muse's cheesier efforts like Invincible, Starlight, Soldier's Poem, etc.

I'm not sure if it's better than Invincible, but definitely better than to two latter songs.

I love Guiding Light! Can't wait to see it live!

Nope.

It's a rather well written song I think. The melodies are clever and don't smack of cheese like the instrumentation does.

It's a billion miles better than the rest of Muse's cheesier efforts like Invincible, Starlight, Soldier's Poem, etc.

:( Teh Starlight is the best Muse song! Probably cos it was the first Muse song I knew was Muse :LOL:

But I love Guiding Light.

it reminds me of "My Guiding Light" by Evermore. Way too much.

no one will know the song though. damn

I know this song very well, and yes, I agree. I thought it sounded like Evermore's song the first time I heard it. They're a good band from New Zealand (now moved to Australia).

Damn Bellamy! Damn him for singing about love, using lyrics of substance! This one got to me this morning! And set in the 80s too!

I want it to be 1981 again!

I want to be 17 again!

I want to do a retake!

:(

Get back to politics man!

I least it has laughter! It is so ridiculous! You have to laugh or you'd cry, something I did a bit of in the car this morning!

PS I love him really! Bellamy I mean!

I have read some of you talk about Invincible...

Invincible makes me feel strong things. I find it terribly moving, it touches me deeply...

Guiding Light... is the only song of Resistance I skip.

And it's the first song of Muse I skip so early in the listenning of the album.

Normally when I take the habit of skiping a song, it's when I have listen to it again and again and again...

Some of you have omething against Undisclosed Desires because it doesn't sound like Muse. Yeah, the first time I have listen to it, I was shoked. But I have learn to appreciate it by listenning to it several times, like the rest of the album...

But I really block on Guiding Light. To me it's not Muse. It's boring (do I'll dare say it sounds has been ? Yes I've just said it...).

I just recognize Matt's voice and his guitare at a brief moment.

Sorry for people who like it, this is just my feelings.

They've talked about liking big contrasts, and I wonder whether that is the intention of Guiding Light, quite meaningful lyrics, with a cheesy sound. I accept that the sound is dated (it's something I found difficult too) but it's deliberate. It's intentionally cheesy not "has been" :(

It would be interesting to know why they did Guiding Light like they did. I don't think the description Matt gave on the download said much did it? Just that it's a 80s power ballad! Yeah, but, as a modern band, why did they decide to do an 80s power ballad?

Edited by CarrieB

It's hard to believe Guiding Light is on an album :LOL:

:LOL:

Actually I've just had a bit of a breakthrough! I was listening to the album this morning and it struck me how the jet engine from Collateral Damage directly flows into Guiding Light and then you have that boom boom boom boom boom smash then vocal (which incidentally is very strong and also gives us opportunity to enjoy a Bellamy scream :D), and you hardly have a second to contemplate the potential for world war and disintegration of the world as we know it, in an outward looking song before you're thrown into an inward looking song about the disintegration of a relationship which, despite the emotive message, (both songs have really emotive undercurrents) continues the hilarity with its

80s ballad feel and cheesy guitar. They are back to back songs which look at breakdown in the public and private spheres (as well as the juxtaposition of sadness and humour) and since the album has loosely come to carry a theme of a relationship against the background of political turmoil it is a clever central point.

It punctuates the album, changes the scene, before moving onto the second part of the album which goes back to serious Muse with Unnatural Selection. And I think it works totally actually :D though I do think Matt is sometimes too deep and clever for his own good!:LOL:

I do really enjoy the depth though. The emotional complexity together with the musical variety and complexity is what makes this album so fantastic I think, and I am really warming to Guiding Light.:D

Edited by CarrieB

:LOL:

Actually I've just had a bit of a breakthrough! I was listening to the album this morning and it struck me how the jet engine from Collateral Damage directly flows into Guiding Light and then you have that boom boom boom boom boom smash then vocal (which incidentally is very strong and also gives us opportunity to enjoy a Bellamy scream :D), and you hardly have a second to contemplate the potential for world war and disintegration of the world as we know it, in an outward looking song before you're thrown into an inward looking song about the disintegration of a relationship which, despite the emotive message, (both songs have really emotive undercurrents) continues the hilarity with its

80s ballad feel and cheesy guitar. They are back to back songs which look at breakdown in the public and private spheres (as well as the juxtaposition of sadness and humour) and since the album has loosely come to carry a theme of a relationship against the background of political turmoil it is a clever central point.

It punctuates the album, changes the scene, before moving onto the second part of the album which goes back to serious Muse with Unnatural Selection. And I think it works totally actually :D though I do think Matt is sometimes too deep and clever for his own good!:LOL:

I do really enjoy the depth though. The emotional complexity together with the musical variety and complexity is what makes this album so fantastic I think, and I am really warming to Guiding Light.:D

What you say is interessting.

Things are, because I am french, when I understand the lyrics it's by choice.

So when I want to feel the music, I hear singing but don't understand what they say.

When I try to understand what they say (without looking after the text) I must concentrate more or less (if it's distinct and slow it's gonna be very easy, but if it's fast with hard vocabulary it's tricky) so I don't feel the music.

It's lyrics or music.

When I wanna know the lyrics, I read them once, or several times, and after I know was they are talking about, at which moment, and I've got the song totally.

But I can't read every text I listenn to, so for a lot of songs I my playlist... I only understand parts, and I only feel the music.

And I can tell you that it has it good sides, because sometimes you can be desapointed of the lyrics.

That's why, when I absolutely love a song, I quickly look at the text, not to make a universe inside my head around the song, and beeing far from the real meanings...

What you say is interessting.

Things are, because I am french, when I understand the lyrics it's by choice.

So when I want to feel the music, I hear singing but don't understand what they say.

When I try to understand what they say (without looking after the text) I must concentrate more or less (if it's distinct and slow it's gonna be very easy, but if it's fast with hard vocabulary it's tricky) so I don't feel the music.

It's lyrics or music.

When I wanna know the lyrics, I read them once, or several times, and after I know was they are talking about, at which moment, and I've got the song totally.

But I can't read every text I listenn to, so for a lot of songs I my playlist... I only understand parts, and I only feel the music.

And I can tell you that it has it good sides, because sometimes you can be desapointed of the lyrics.

That's why, when I absolutely love a song, I quickly look at the text, not to make a universe inside my head around the song, and beeing far from the real meanings...

Yeah I understand what you mean. The music is always what appeals to me first too.:) I usually have to read lyrics for a song I'm interested in because the diction isn't always totally clear. But obviously being English does make that a lot easier.

Beautiful song.

I agree with some of the above posters. USoE is the war and corruption in the modern world, CD describes the peace being smashed by a prominent conflict and then GL is describing all the suffering in the world and explaining that hope cannot be found. SO pretty depressing really.:LOL: