So, you've heard the clip, what do you think?  

318 members have voted

1. 1. So, you've heard the clip, what do you think?

• Best song on the album.
    • Er.. I mean it's okay. It may grow on me.
    • I can't wait to hear the rest of that guitar solo!!!
    • What the fuck @ 80s style production?
    • I hate it.

(First post)

Just wondered what everybody thought about this song?

I thought it sounded like U2, but the solo was kinda reminisant of Comfortably Numb by Pink Floyd, but with more distortion.

I think this one could be great live!

I think its amazing. The guitar solo is immense, its a pwopar wock one, reminds me of Pink Floyd.

Anyone who hates this can get fucked IMO.:p

Yeah, this is going to be epic live (actually, it's epic now!). I normally can't stand 80's-style guitar ballads either, but this one is palatable because of Matt's um, carnal vocalise ["ummm...ummm...ummm...whooaah!," how exciting! Definitely Matt's best (and sexiest) non-wordy emoting since the "SBH" "ooooh...aaaaah....ohhhh" bits]. And I also like the solo, which in a way reminds me of the one in "Blackout" on HAARP, probably one of his most heartfelt and artistic solos, and perhaps one of the hardest, too. (I don't play guitar, so I'm only guessing...) Not that it's a soundalike -- not at all -- but in the way it runs through a whole bunch of notes really fast and in a very fuzzy tone.

Anyone who hates this can get fucked IMO.:p

Is this supposed to deter me from hating the song? :LOL:

Well I certainly don't hate it, but so far, I'm not "feeling" it, if you please. I'm not too keen on 80's power ballads (for the most part), but I'm definitely not going to listen to the whole song with negative expectations. My glass is usually half full... until I find out it's backwash. (Thank you, Stephen Colbert)

That's exactly what concerns me. To each their own :)

+1 :LOL:

It's already the worst ever Matt solo in terms of sheer unoriginality, predictability, and 80's emotionally vapid cheesy-ness; I just hope it doesn't also turn out to be one of their worst ever songs too! The distorted synthetic sounding bass and stripped minimalism before the solo gives me some hope. If just a faint one!

EDIT:

probably one of his most heartfelt and artistic solos' date=' and perhaps one of the hardest, too. (I don't play guitar, so I'm only guessing...)[/quote']

I disagree strongly! :LOL: Sunburn, now there's a heartfelt solo which still gives me shivers! :happy:

And speaking as a guitarist, the Guiding Light solo is extremely easy, and merely runs down a dull predictable scale with some very basic alternate picking (the easiest of all 80's "shred" techniques).

Edited by Static Shadows

Is this supposed to deter me from hating the song? :LOL:

Well I certainly don't hate it, but so far, I'm not "feeling" it, if you please. I'm not too keen on 80's power ballads (for the most part), but I'm definitely not going to listen to the whole song with negative expectations. My glass is usually half full... until I find out it's backwash. (Thank you, Stephen Colbert)

Well, it depends I suppose :LOL:

I've got every album U2 have ever made and I have no clue why people compare this song to U2 :confused: Personally, it makes me think of a Scorpions-style cheesy 80s power ballad.

The guitar solo doesn't remind me of U2, but the vocals and music at the beginning of the clip definitely do.

So far the only clip that doesn't resonate at all with me.

Which, actually, makes me more curious to hear the whole song. Makes me wonder what else is going to happen in the 3:30 we haven't heard.

Well there's supposedly a guitar riff as well.

OK so they're both cheesy. I feel like it's different kind of cheese, though. Maybe Invincible was cheddar and Guiding Light is goat cheese. I like cheddar. Goat, not so much.

Now it's time for me to facepalm my own post. :facepalm:

Nah, those cheeses aren't "gay" enough. Invincible is brie, and GL is gonna be gruyere. :p