So, you've heard the clip, what do you think?  

318 members have voted

1. 1. So, you've heard the clip, what do you think?

• Best song on the album.
    • Er.. I mean it's okay. It may grow on me.
    • I can't wait to hear the rest of that guitar solo!!!
    • What the fuck @ 80s style production?
    • I hate it.

When I first heard Guiding Light my reaction was 'What the hell is this?' but as I listened to the whole album again and really listened to Guiding Light, I began to enjoy it a bit more. You have to remember that Matt is 'retelling' the book 1984 through the music. And Guiding Light fits perfectly when you think of it in those terms. Yes, the song is very 80's but I grew up in the 80's and while some of the music should be left in that decade, some was really good.

This is what Matt says about it....

"[Guiding Light] is influenced by 1980's cheesy stadium rock. There is a guitar solo with a deliberate screaming harmonic. These types of harmonics have been banned from rock for at least 18 years, possibly longer."

Sounds spot-on to me... so he did what he wanted to do.. a cheesy 80's song, and it's brilliant in that regard. Not my favorite song on the album, but it certainly deserves a little love.

I actually kinda really like it now. Minus the fact the lyrics are just a total bummer. "Touched like strangers detached...I can't feel you anymore!" boo...:(

Yes, questionable lyrics aside....What I love about this song is Matt's vocals on it...so full of emotion and passion. My heart just melts each time I hear his singing on this song. :$:D

I know everyone says that the band don't read the boards, so there's no point posting something in the hope that they will read it, but with Matt recently posting about the ISP thingy, is it likely that they do read it occasionally?

Apparently they do; someone's posted a thread in the News and Media section and it links to a recent interview in which Matt talks about the intensity of some of their fans and stuff on the message boards.