So, you've heard the clip, what do you think?  

318 members have voted

1. 1. So, you've heard the clip, what do you think?

• Best song on the album.
    • Er.. I mean it's okay. It may grow on me.
    • I can't wait to hear the rest of that guitar solo!!!
    • What the fuck @ 80s style production?
    • I hate it.

This. It also bugs me the lyrics are such a downer yet the song itself sounds like victory music. Typical.

It's one of those cigarette-lighter songs. Can't wait for them to play it live. :LOL:

This. It also bugs me the lyrics are such a downer yet the song itself sounds like victory music. Typical.

This.

Well it doesn't bug me exactly, but I know what you mean. I can relate to the lyrics totally and I'm affected by the lyrics (just listening to Exogenesis part 3 and that for me works with my thoughts of these lyrics) but the style of delivery is well, a power ballad that lacks the emotion needed for the lyrics, though there is emotion produced by the guitar solo, which in itself is quite cheesy. It's really sad but on the other hand I find it mildly amusing and I'm not sure whether or not it's meant to be. I can sort of imagine them on the "Making of DVD" falling about laughing at it, but the lyrics confuse. I can imagine it beginning a song fall of sentiment and ending up a power ballad and I do get that humour, totally, but...:(

I'm sort of giving it a chance because of the lyrics. If the lyrics had been cheesy and ridiculous that would be one thing, but they're not.

Edited by CarrieB

There are hundreds of 80's pop references in this song. This is my mum's favourite track on the album for this very reason.

The most notable reference of all is the drumming. Its Vienna by Ultravox, just with the very last hit missing.

That's what I came to post here. That's the first thing that I thought when I heard it. When I saw the others saying it was this album's Invincible I kind of agreed but I have to say though that Invincible is way better (no matter how much some "fans" hate it).

There are hundreds of 80's pop references in this song. This is my mum's favourite track on the album for this very reason.

The most notable reference of all is the drumming. Its Vienna by Ultravox, just with the very last hit missing.

is that the one which goes

'ohh viennaaaa'

?

if so my mums gonna have a spaz when she hears this :LOL:

im sure they wouldn't deliberately release it as a Christmas song but its just got a seasonal vibe to it. i think its a beautiful song. in fact the whole album is great. and its not just because i like muse. if any band had written them songs i would like them.

'ohh viennaaaa'

?

I suppose that gives it a sort of reference point. I just listened to Vienna from an Best of 1980s CD thing we have, I can hear the similarity and I suppose it was a good song (better than Guiding Light:p) but I'm probably of your mum's generation and to be honest why would I want to listen to Vienna when I can listen to Microcuts! We're not all living in the 1980s you know!:p:LOL:

The intro is a bit misleading I think... The drums sound like they're starting Apocalypse Please 2.0.

The intro is a bit misleading I think... The drums sound like they're starting Apocalypse Please 2.0.

Which is a good thing?

Which is a good thing?

Well, I love the drums, but it's sorta disappointing that it just becomes an 80's power ballad, I would really have loved an Apocalypse Please 2.0 :awesome:

This song is making me laugh more than IBTY ... I keep expecting Matt to burst out into christmassy lyrics.

'ohh viennaaaa'

?

Its that very one! ;)

Does anyone remember...

I love it! :LOL:

In answer to the question, hell no, Muse shouldn't release Guiding Light at Christmas. :eek: They shouldn't release it at all, it doesn't sound Christmassy at all and that would be just so naff!