So, you've heard the clip, what do you think?  

318 members have voted

1. 1. So, you've heard the clip, what do you think?

• Best song on the album.
    • Er.. I mean it's okay. It may grow on me.
    • I can't wait to hear the rest of that guitar solo!!!
    • What the fuck @ 80s style production?
    • I hate it.

http://www.straight.com/article-299423/vancouver/conspiracy-rock-n-roll

Bellamy echoes the bassist’s feeling that Muse has an underappreciated sense of humour, saying with a chuckle, “People probably wouldn’t know that we can see the funny side, especially with the melodrama and pushing the theatrical elements to the limit.” Anybody who watched the “making of” videos that accompanied The Resistance would have seen the band cracking itself up during the recording of “Guiding Light”, a synth-drenched breakup song that trades sensitivity for operatic mega-emotion, like a throwback to Midge Ure’s daft and pompous “Vienna”-era Ultravox.

“That was another moment when we were, like, ‘Can we allow this to go on the album?’ ” Wolstenholme admits. And then they did.

:noey:

Why does muse think Fury, Eternally Missed, Piano thing, futurism, and glorious should be left off their albums, but they decide to put guiding light on the resistance?

Why does muse think Fury, Eternally Missed, Piano thing, futurism, and glorious should be left off their albums, but they decide to put guiding light on the resistance?

With The Resistance, they've tried to show that they are not always super-serious. However, I think they were a far better band when they did take themselves seriously.

See what's pathetic about Guiding Light is that musically, I love it. The drums pound powerfully, it flows perfectly from Collateral Damage, but the lyrics and the way he sings is unforgivable. "when puuuuuhhhhhhhrreeee haaaarrttsssss stuuuuuuumbleee"

With The Resistance, they've tried to show that they are not always super-serious. However, I think they were a far better band when they did take themselves seriously.

Good point. I hope they take themselves seriously from now on.

I can see where they're coming from but humour is difficult to convey and tbh Matt didn't exactly look like he was ready to laugh when they performed it at the O2. It's quite confusing rather than humourous, but I do think it has some really touching lyrics and I don't dislike it. I think I'm intrigued by it because it is puzzling.

I've always liked this song, but I re-discovered it yesterday :awesome:

I really don't know, why people don't like this...

And the Costey Edit is nizzle! :p:LOL:

I see that some people like it but it is so far removed from New Born, Stockholm Syndrome, Space Dementia etc (which is the stuff I like of theirs) so yeah it's not for me. :LOL:

I see that some people like it but it is so far removed from New Born, Stockholm Syndrome, Space Dementia etc (which is the stuff I like of theirs) so yeah it's not for me. :LOL:

No argument there, those songs are better, but I still luff Guiding Light :awesome:

Just the solo and the awesome little drum fill at 2:31-ish :awesome:

No argument there, those songs are better, but I still luff Guiding Light :awesome:

Just the solo and the awesome little drum fill at 2:31-ish :awesome:

Olly made an awesome version of Guiding Light that has screamy vocals and heavy guitar :LOL:

• 1 month later...

Guiding Light is about a person cheating on their partner.

- her pure heart stumbled into him & now crumbles in his hands

- she left him so he can't hurt her anymore

- he is loved by numbers of groupies

- it's making him numb so he's losing life's wonders

- he & his girlfriend touch like strangers detached because

they both know he's been screwing around

- he hopes for the best but has no guiding light

to stop himself acting this way

I really live Guiding Light. Can't comment on it live, but I think its well done on the album. I am beginning to think that Matt likes his cheese more and more, and while its going to annoy many peeps, I don't think anyone else could pull it off even half as well at the minute.

Guiding Light is about a person cheating on their partner.

- her pure heart stumbled into him & now crumbles in his hands

- she left him so he can't hurt her anymore

- he is loved by numbers of groupies

- it's making him numb so he's losing life's wonders

- he & his girlfriend touch like strangers detached because

they both know he's been screwing around

- he hopes for the best but has no guiding light

to stop himself acting this way

I really don't think Guiding Light is about cheating. I think it's simply about a disintegrating relationship. I think "Loved by numbers" for instance means when it feels like it's just a routine rather than genuine feeling, nothing to do with groupies. I also think your post is inappropriate and weird, sorry. It was probably you who attempted a similar thing on Muselive in a more direct fashion.:stunned:

Edited by CarrieB