oh, it's mister oversustain :D

I fell into that habit for so long, it's been hard trying to unlearn just making everything sound like mush to cover up sloppiness.

And please people, if you want to make guitar sounds, use a guitar.

I like putting distortion on everything though.

I like putting distortion on everything though.

Get yourself a DAW like Pro Tools. Feed into that with a piano sound, and add distortion over the top.

Or do what I like to do on certain songs, crank the track volume and dynamic response so it's not always distorted, but when you play loud enough, you get clipping.

Get yourself a DAW like Pro Tools. Feed into that with a piano sound, and add distortion over the top.

Or do what I like to do on certain songs, crank the track volume and dynamic response so it's not always distorted, but when you play loud enough, you get clipping.

I've done both of those, as well as running through distortion and fuzz pedals. In serious practce though I actually do like very light clipping on piano. I think there was a Muse song that did it but I can't remember.

EDIT: Space Dementia during the big crash sounds like clipping.

Pretty sure AP has distortion on the piano, and I like to add it when playing MotP. Those are a couple of cases where it works, but for the most part I feel like it just covers up lazy arrangements.

I have a piano arrangement of Stockholm worked out, closer to this than the studio version. It sounds much better played mf with a nice clean tone than if I played it ff with distortion added.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lMFr-S62-9w

Also working on rearranging CE and SU and they're both turning out pretty similar. Tone down the volume + use a nice clean dark sound = awesomeness.

EDIT: Space Dementia during the big crash sounds like clipping.

Those arps in C are definitely distorted. I kicked myself for remembering that after uploading my cover :facepalm:

• 2 months later...
You are not alone James! My musical enjoyment range is quite broad!

Cool, want to get into a heated discussion about EVH's tone on the first album? All the cool kids are talking about the "brown sound" these days.

And yes Matthijs, I can see it's NSFW before even playing the video!

Cool, want to get into a heated discussion about EVH's tone on the first album? All the cool kids are talking about the "brown sound" these days.

And yes Matthijs, I can see it's NSFW before even playing the video!

Didn't you bought that Oktava 319 while you were chasing the toan? I am still getting good use out of it, probably the best thing i have bought from you. Or the second best, the best is probably that reverb pedal.

Didn't you bought that Oktava 319 while you were chasing the toan? I am still getting good use out of it' date=' probably the best thing i have bought from you. Or the second best, the best is probably that reverb pedal.[/quote']

That had nothing to do with it. It was just another thing Samcoma talked me into buying... like the VH4 :facepalm:

That reverb pedal was nice, and much better than the digitech I have now

I do have this though, which is a bit different

http://www.zcatpedals.com/?dir=view&id=hold-reverb

Ha, what are we going to get heated about here?! It was a pretty great tone was it not?

Ha, what are we going to get heated about here?! It was a pretty great tone was it not?

Well not on here, but...(and I'm trying to be as accurate as possible):

"So how did he get this tone? It's pretty distorted for a super lead if you ask me!"

"You can't get that much gain with a stock plexi"

"You CAN get that much gain with a stock plexi. Just look at the videos on the last page. Maybe try playing one first...?"

"He used a distortion pedal, but I don't know which one. I'm just telling you what I heard from a reliable source. Also, those videos had reverb and post production things done to them"

"So did the tone you're trying to capture. Maybe be original and stop wasting your time."

"Harsh! but fair"

"The first album's tone wasn't that great. the second one was much better. YMMV."

"I agree, it sounded really fizzy and solid state like. YMMV."

"It's not a stock plexi! look at that knob on the back. Does that qualify as stock? No it doesn't. Obviously it was heavily modded to have an internal distortion pedal plus the ones he was using in box 1 and box 2."

"It was a master volume. It hardly changes the tone of the amp, especially when it's cranked like Ed was doing"

"You know, you might be on to something..."

"Look, none of you guys are going to get that sound. You're chasing a recorded tone, in other words, chasing a ghost"

"Well said, good to have someone in this 31 page thread that knows what they're talking about. YMMV"

"I heard it was a dumble overdrive special."

"That's enough. Infractions have been issued, and offensive posts removed. Thread is locked temporarily to cool off."

Repeat as necessary, eventually with thread lock after 62 pages.

Well not on here, but...(and I'm trying to be as accurate as possible):

"So how did he get this tone? It's pretty distorted for a super lead if you ask me!"

"You can't get that much gain with a stock plexi"

"You CAN get that much gain with a stock plexi. Just look at the videos on the last page. Maybe try playing one first...?"

"He used a distortion pedal, but I don't know which one. I'm just telling you what I heard from a reliable source. Also, those videos had reverb and post production things done to them"

"So did the tone you're trying to capture. Maybe be original and stop wasting your time."

"Harsh! but fair"

"The first album's tone wasn't that great. the second one was much better. YMMV."

"I agree, it sounded really fizzy and solid state like. YMMV."

"It's not a stock plexi! look at that knob on the back. Does that qualify as stock? No it doesn't. Obviously it was heavily modded to have an internal distortion pedal plus the ones he was using in box 1 and box 2."

"It was a master volume. It hardly changes the tone of the amp, especially when it's cranked like Ed was doing"

"You know, you might be on to something..."

"Look, none of you guys are going to get that sound. You're chasing a recorded tone, in other words, chasing a ghost"

"Well said, good to have someone in this 31 page thread that knows what they're talking about. YMMV"

"I heard it was a dumble overdrive special."

"That's enough. Infractions have been issued, and offensive posts removed. Thread is locked temporarily to cool off."

Repeat as necessary, eventually with thread lock after 62 pages.

:LOL: I had no idea there was such an issue about it. I do prefer his first album tone though.

This video shows you don't need too much to reproduce his sounds:

I love people who chase exact album tones, makes me laugh a bit

:LOL: I had no idea there was such an issue about it. I do prefer his first album tone though.

This video shows you don't need too much to reproduce his sounds:

I love people who chase exact album tones, makes me laugh a bit

It's actually worse than what I posted. I should go find some actual quotes and links.

That video shows there are plenty of ways to get that sound, and the "correct" way could be any one of them really.

And yeah, the best thing is that the band has commented on how it was a really bright and thin tone, and was all studio magic. Demo from around the same time shows that:

JyakZpzLxes

compared to the album sound:

kzkXGIRaxcI

Archived