MK Ultra. Yay or nay?  

1,275 members have voted

1. 1. MK Ultra. Yay or nay?

• Loving it!
    • It's ok
    • It's not ok
    • WTF is this s*it???

TBH I don't even think they gave a toss who these songs we're appealing to you know, it's just Muse being Muse, which is more similar to how they used to write songs. (i'm not saying a 100% disregard to audiences but you can see in BHaR and even Absolution that they we're more blatently trying to keep fans happy)

I also think the same about USoE and Exogenesis.

I would say that about Absolution, but not BH&R. BH&R is pretty different compared to the other Muse albums. There's definately a mainstream appeal with tracks like Starlight. That and Take A Bow and City of Delusion were definately aimed at Muse fans, though the latter was an Absolution reject track, but from the sounds of things, songs like Supermassive Black Hole, Invincible and Knights of Cydonia were just the band enjoying song writing. Matt was especially proud of the latter two songs. As if they had personal value.

I think BH&R is a better reflection of the band doing what they want, as apposed to doing what other people want. I believe that the mildly negative response BH&R got from fans has influenced the music on The Resistance. The album remains as colourful as BH&R, but it definately sounds more like the Muse of old.

I would say that about Absolution, but not BH&R. BH&R is pretty different compared to the other Muse albums. There's definately a mainstream appeal with tracks like Starlight. That and Take A Bow and City of Delusion were definately aimed at Muse fans, though the latter was an Absolution reject track, but from the sounds of things, songs like Supermassive Black Hole, Invincible and Knights of Cydonia were just the band enjoying song writing. Matt was especially proud of the latter two songs. As if they had personal value.

I think BH&R is a better reflection of the band doing what they want, as apposed to doing what other people want. I believe that the mildly negative response BH&R got from fans has influenced the music on The Resistance. The album remains as colourful as BH&R, but it definately sounds more like the Muse of old.

Agreed.

Although I still think with each album, mainstream appeal becomes more a of concern, however I'll contradict myself again because I think The Resistance is Muse doing more of 'what they want to do' than BHaR was.

So on the whole I think Muse have taken a step backwards in a good way to the olden days, to a degree anyway, that's why this album seems to resonate older material more so than BHaR did.

Right now I'd vote something between "it's ok" and "it's not ok". I'm not very fond of the "breaking through" part. And I can't detect any kind of structure, the whole thing feels like a sloppy assembly of random bits and pieces :(

The way I see it is that the song is broken into two halves. You have your first vese and bridge leading into a mellow chorus. Then you have your second verse and bridge leading into a heavy chorus.

I think he has the Reckless version. :shifty:

I have the actual album on my table next to me, thank you very much :phu:

The way I see it is that the song is broken into two halves. You have your first vese and bridge leading into a mellow chorus. Then you have your second verse and bridge leading into a heavy chorus.

Maybe I just need to listen closer... anyway, I've got a feeling that this song will take a while until it's really grown on me. Bah :(

Maybe I just need to listen closer... anyway, I've got a feeling that this song will take a while until it's really grown on me. Bah :(

Best way to happen really. It's the music that grows on you that you most appreciate. Conversely, it's usually the songs you enjoy most from the word go that you get tired of first.

This song is mustard. It's intense. I love the vocal harmonies in the chorus, they make me hard. And the riff at the end is almost up there with Stockholm Syndrome's finale. Make no mistake, when this is played live it's kicking off, son!

Best play it at the o2 in London.

Right now I'd vote something between "it's ok" and "it's not ok". I'm not very fond of the "breaking through" part. And I can't detect any kind of structure, the whole thing feels like a sloppy assembly of random bits and pieces :(

Got to agree with you there. This song is rubbish. It sounds like it was composed by some ameture garage band... dare I say it... [reckless]. It just isn't Muse. It has moments where it's about to get brilliant, then it fades into a garbage pile again. :(

Best way to happen really. It's the music that grows on you that you most appreciate. Conversely, it's usually the songs you enjoy most from the word go that you get tired of first.

That's not quite true for me, but I can still hope I'll actually really like the song some day. Now that I've listened to it several more times I can at least tell there's a structure :LOL: The one thing that really bugs me is the main "melody" though, the one that's right at the start. The last few notes are ok, but until then it's pretty weak, considering they're such great musicians!

that only with most pop music, i liked Hysteria from the first note i heard and haven't ever gotten tired of it.

I can't detect any kind of structure, the whole thing feels like a sloppy assembly of random bits and pieces :(

If you know what MK ULTRA really is about then you'd understand why there's no structure or cohesive assembly to the song.

It's all about fucking with your head and the various layers that can be heard in the track are supposed to mirror the effects felt by the participants of the MK ULTRA project.

Basically, it's supposed to sound like a jumbled mess!

wow really? you are the first person i've come across that actually likes the clip, let alone champions it as a favourite.

MK ultra sounds brilliant sounded a bit placebo-ish at first, but you gotta love the return of the riff. (also in unnatural selection)

Right now Resistance is tied with exogenisis as my favorite

If you know what MK ULTRA really is about then you'd understand why there's no structure or cohesive assembly to the song.

It's all about fucking with your head and the various layers that can be heard in the track are supposed to mirror the effects felt by the participants of the MK ULTRA project.

You don't have to overdo it though, it's a song after all. The boys should have probably got themselves a producer after all, or at least someone that might have told them to improve the flow of some of their new songs.

Archived