Do you not like The Resistance?  

488 members have voted

1. 1. Do you not like The Resistance?

how can anyone say its crap, those of you who dont like The Resistance go back to watching x factor and simon the pieman cowells manufactured rubbish ! How can you call yourself a Muse fan

lol

I think they're disliking the RNB/Indie/Smoochy parts coming from a band that wrote SS and CE and TAB

Well it's the best term I have to describe the time that we are in... it could be renamed years down the line...the guitar parts are like a lot of other bands these days, thats just the way things went .....

It's taking me about 5 mins to download 10 seconds of youtube video so I can't give time reference atm.

It's the overall guitar sounds and vocal parts and the relation between then, Franz Ferd would be way more typical of this ''indie'' word. What's wrong with it being a genre of music, just because it wasn't intentionally for that, it sure turned out that way....emo wasn't exactly set up to have hair over your eyes and MCR t-shirts and dark lipstic.

I think it's undeniably more 'indie' sounding and less alternative/progressive.....way different to CE or most of Abso's guitar playing....he's even lost about half his distortion and using a more overdriven tone....:eek:

---------------------------

Think about this...when you listen to Beethoven would you consider that ''modern'' ???....it was to him, he was at the start of the romantic era and thought he was very modern, might as well have called it ''modern'' music to be renamed as people saw fit decades or centuries down the line.

I think people call bands ''indie'' just as there is no other word for it, 'modern' isn't cool/hip/indie enough for them, and labelling your bands music 'modern' just won't do.

I suppose so - I think we should come with a new term other than indie though. Indie, ultimately, meant something completely different before the media hijacked the word.

I personally can't hear these elements in US. The RATM style riffing at the end makes this song sound anything but indie - even if there are parts of it that sound like a lot of modern guitar music.

Hopefully they will hear Unnatural Selection and change their mind. That's gonna be as close to OoS as they're gonna get.

Thaaaank you! :) :) Now i've manage to have a listen to more than 30 seconds of it :D:D:D The album will be on my shopping list definately. :happy:

I've let all my damn mates who have defected from muse for being 'too commercial' get me down. Well, US is hopefully the Assasin that impressed me so much on BHaR.

*breaths sigh of relife*

As for rating what we've heard:

Uprising 8/10

Resistance 8/10

Undisclosed Desires 8/10

USOE 7/10 (but I'd be tempted to notch it up to 8 live)

Unnatural Selection 9/10 (on first listen)

Totally agree with that, was at The Den last night and was totally blown away to hear it for the first time in full :eek:

Although UD was deffo a 10 for me, I can't stop playing the song, the chorus is genius :yesey:

Muse used to drag things forward, making a sound all their own which i loved. But when i heared USoE, i heared Queen, when i heared Upriseing i heared Dr. Who amongst many others. This hasn't happened to me with their songs before, even starlight, and i can't say as it makes comfortable listening. If i wanted to hear Queen, i'd put the Innuendo album on, its amazing and lasts longer than USoE. If i wanted Dr Who i'd stick a couple of episodes on the telly.

Yeah, all artists need insparation but from what i've heared so far its not so much inspired as influenced heavily by other works. Maybe all the insparation has gone into making the story of the album? like its going to be Muse: The Opera.

Someone i know who is 'serious' about music once berated me for buying best-of albums, saying that a song is nothing out of context of its whole album. I hope that this is litteral in the case of The Resistence and the thing turns out to be one long inter-related story that'll make sense both lyrically and musicaly. Still can't make sense of why Uprising hasn't been releced on single in the UK yet though :confused:

Ah yes this is their "opera" album. Kind of sad, when you consider how ground-breaking Origin of Symmetry was. It's like they were pointing the way to a hard-rocking future, they followed up with the next 2 albums, and suddenly *poof*...

I'm really interested in hearing other Muse fans' input here.

Why has the political dissent encouragement in the lyrics been turned up to 11?

:stunned: I'll just quote a progressive mantra "If you're not outraged, you're not paying attention"

USoE should have taught us 30 sec samples are misleading. Now that I've heard/seen some bootlegs from this weekend. I am impressed. I think this album is going to be more cohesive than any other since OoS. It's already making sense to me, but then, I have read 1984 more than once.

It's getting irritating, isn't it?

Then don't look. There are 23,399 threads on here, don't let this one ruin your day.

There are some of us out there at the moment wondering why we're still following and its helpful to get some kind of discussion going. I've been sedated with the live Unnatural footage. Sounds like there is hope for me, i just hope others find it as hopeful.

Then don't look. There are 23,399 threads on here, don't let this one ruin your day.

There are some of us out there at the moment wondering why we're still following and its helpful to get some kind of discussion going. I've been sedated with the live Unnatural footage. Sounds like there is hope for me, i just hope others find it as hopeful.

Not talking about the topic, but about Jennafox' random replies.

Well having seen five of the songs live, I am now totally pumped for this album :D.

Resistance and Unnatural Selection kick-ass, they both have absolutely top-notch, guitar-heavy, typical Muse choruses with fabulous, passionate vocals over the top. Chris' bass last night was turned up to max which hopefully bodes well for the placement of the bass on the album.

Uprising takes on a whole new dimension live as well, they didn't bother with the album outro - they just kicked straight into the extra riffage that's on the DVD :D.

This album is gonna be a blast live!

Well it's the best term I have to describe the time that we are in... it could be renamed years down the line...the guitar parts are like a lot of other bands these days, thats just the way things went .....

I know exactly what you mean. It's often called post-punk and there's strands of it running through bands like Maximo Park, Kaiser Chiefs, Franz Ferdinand, Futureheads, The Strokes, Bloc Party,Klaxons. I can certainly hear the bit in US that sounds like that. But given the variety in the bands I've just mentioned I don't think it's a bad thing, unless you just don't like the sound which is fair enough.

Indie as a term is attached to alot of things as a derogatory term including New-Rave, modern Folk, Libertines-esque bands, and even glam-guitar bands like the Killers or Muse. Basically anything that isn't mainstream and requires you to think about what you're listening to; and Razorlight

Well having seen five of the songs live, I am now totally pumped for this album :D.

Resistance and Unnatural Selection kick-ass, they both have absolutely top-notch, guitar-heavy, typical Muse choruses with fabulous, passionate vocals over the top. Chris' bass last night was turned up to max which hopefully bodes well for the placement of the bass on the album.

Uprising takes on a whole new dimension live as well, they didn't bother with the album outro - they just kicked straight into the extra riffage that's on the DVD :D.

This

:party::musesign:

Still haven't watched the new songs on youtube. My expectations have been high all along, and now hearing all the glowing reports during the last couple of days, I'm absolutely certain I won't be disappointed. :D

:party::musesign:

Still haven't watched the new songs on youtube. My expectations have been high all along, and now hearing all the glowing reports during the last couple of days, I'm absolutely certain I won't be disappointed. :D

I checked out the Youtube clips last night, and thought that the new tracks were brilliant despite the poor video/sound quality. You won't be disappointed! :)

Isn't there some other thread for you to all praise The Resistance in? I still hate everything I've heard from The Resistance besides USoE, so your argument that I couldn't predict how I'd feel about the album was wrong. There's nothing left for you to find issue with... unless the secret reason you all came in here in the first place was because you were mad that people could dislike it. In which case, go ahead and continue that futile debate.

Archived