Do you not like The Resistance?  

488 members have voted

1. 1. Do you not like The Resistance?

This is Muse we're talking about, though; very few of their songs are either of those (Exogenesis and Citizen Erased come to mind).

And to whoever said we might be talking ourselves into disliking it... we are Muse fans. Why would we do that to ourselves? :\

I understand what you mean, that pop songs may often be judged from 30 seconds because it's the same intro-verse-chorus-verse-chorus-middle 8/solo-chorus-chorus structure with few variations. However, every review has pointed out that there are different elements in these songs in the intro/middle-section/ending. I feel I'm going to hate Resistance merely because the bit we've heard annoys me greatly: I think there are elements, even tiny ones, which can ruin a song. But I'm still not going to judge that song as a whole quite yet.

I'm not surprised people would talk themselves into disliking the new album. First of all, it saves you from the disappointent of having too high expectations. Secondly, people most into a fandom tend to be the most critical of the band's doings. They feel they know the band the best and are expected to have a non-fangirlish/boyish attitude if they want to be taken seriously in the community.

The biggest thing I worry at the moment is that I've heard the clips so many times by now that in my head for example after the bit from Unnatural S. the bit from MK U should follow instantly, not the part of Un. S. that follows after the preview clip. You know kind of like when you listen to an album you start hearing the next song in your head even before it has started, and when you listen the album on shuffle you get all confused when the wrong song starts :LOL:

The biggest thing I worry at the moment is that I've heard the clips so many times by now that in my head for example after the bit from Unnatural S. the bit from MK U should follow instantly, not the part of Un. S. that follows after the preview clip. You know kind of like when you listen to an album you start hearing the next song in your head even before it has started, and when you listen the album on shuffle you get all confused when the wrong song starts :LOL:

Yeah, it almost sounds like one song in my head at the moment :LOL:

I have to stop listening to those clips.

MK Ultra

A guitar lover's paradise. Fuzzed-out lines introduce a frenzied rocker. Bellamy's staccato, hugely distorted parts pummel this song into submission. Before you think he can do no more, the guitarist takes us by the hand and leads us into the Hall of the Riff Kings. Transcribers of the world, take note.

When I first heard muse (I bough the Absolution CD in prague) i was totally thrilled while listening to it, I never had heard music like that before, so it was truly amazing.

However, I somehow expected to get the same thrills from B&R, and now I sort expect them from Resistance. It are just unrealistic expectations because you can only make the jump into alternative rock once.

true but i got the same thrill twice after i listened to absolution then oos then i heard bhar and it was kind of a let down.. but then showbiz was quite nice.. not as great as abso and oos cause by then i'd already heard most of the songs just not got the album, y'never know hearing the resistance in full for the first time could still be thriling.. first time ive been a fan whilst muse released a new album :D

I have previous experience with this problem. It goes over very fast.

But the worst thing is, often you love the preview but the part that comes after it dissapoints you because it didn't sound the way you expected.

The worst thing with previews is that when you get the song, everytime you get to the part where the sample was taken, you go "oh, here's the sample". And then it doesn't flow together as well.

That's a good point. I've listened to them maybe 6-7 times and it's been about a week. I'm trying to sort of forget them. I don't plan on listening to them again until I get the album.

No?

As usual Clunge has hit the nail on the head... why do people want MUSE to re-make OOS and Abso ALLL the Fecking time... honestly..... it really does my head in. Muse is progressing they are like a pool of water shifting and changing all the time, you cannot expect them to still be making New Born and Hysteria ALL the time - how boring would that be?

Anyhoos, these are only 30 second clips how the feck can you judge and epic 1 hour plus album from 5.30 minutes???

This is my no2 gripe against some muse fans - the top gripe is all those that want MUSE to play live as it sounds on the album and NOT to improvise... I mean... come on... reallity check maybe?

:rolleyes:

It's not really that that irritates me most, it's the insistence that Muse have 'lost' elements of OoS and Absolution. They haven't.

Even from these samples, you can hear Muse past, present and future - MK Ultra, United States Of Eurasia, Unnatural Selection and Exogenesis show this, guitar driven chorus, beautiful piano pieces, riffs, solos, ambition, powerful vocals/operatics/falsetto, etc.

These influences, as you would expect from a band who are constantly striving to progress, are lessening but they'll never go away.

It's not really that that irritates me most, it's the insistence that Muse have 'lost' elements of OoS and Absolution. They haven't.

Even from these samples, you can hear Muse past, present and future - MK Ultra, United States Of Eurasia, Unnatural Selection and Exogenesis show this, guitar driven chorus, beautiful piano pieces, riffs, solos, ambition, powerful vocals/operatics/falsetto, etc.

These influences, as you would expect from a band who are constantly striving to progress, are lessening but they'll never go away.

Totally agree

A lot of people seem to forget that there's always a process of re-invention. Let's step in their shoes for once. Would you want to always make the same kind of music if you were in the studio?

[troll-mode] YEAH, BUT I STILL WANTZ CITIZSZEN ERASED 2!!! [/troll-mode]

I agree. Though we have heard only a portion of the album, you could clearly distinguish a lot of Muse elements... The riffs, Matt's falsetto voice, solo's, they are still there!!!

And I'm glad that the piano is back too!! I love the interweaving of piano into their music and BH & R was lacking just that... I think the album could really get into my top 3 (behind OoS and Absolution... :p )

As a precursor I'd like to say that this is the first time I've ever visited a forum dedicated to a musical group.

After a quick read through of threads on this forum concerning my favorite band...I have a legitimate concern.

Talking about the new album as much as you all do on this website is only setting yourself up for disappointment. I can guarantee that the first time you heard Muse (or any other great band you may like), you had not had them hyped up to the expectations that you're placing on The Resistance. After reading through "reviews" of 30 second clips (logic?), I just am extremely confused at how you will enjoy the album once it comes out. You'll find that if you just happen to stumble upon something with no expectations for how it may turn out, you will like it much, much more. So while I respect what this forum does (after all, it is dedicated to the greatest band of the 21st century), I honestly think that it is ruining the release of The Resistance for some of you who focus too much on what other people think on this forum and don't pay attention or truly LISTEN to what is in front of you.

-Cooper

As a precursor I'd like to say that this is the first time I've ever visited a forum dedicated to a musical group.

After a quick read through of threads on this forum concerning my favorite band...I have a legitimate concern.

Talking about the new album as much as you all do on this website is only setting yourself up for disappointment. I can guarantee that the first time you heard Muse (or any other great band you may like), you had not had them hyped up to the expectations that you're placing on The Resistance. After reading through "reviews" of 30 second clips (logic?), I just am extremely confused at how you will enjoy the album once it comes out. You'll find that if you just happen to stumble upon something with no expectations for how it may turn out, you will like it much, much more. So while I respect what this forum does (after all, it is dedicated to the greatest band of the 21st century), I honestly think that it is ruining the release of The Resistance for some of you who focus too much on what other people think on this forum and don't pay attention or truly LISTEN to what is in front of you.

-Cooper

This should be pinned and said right before anyone posts a message in this forum.

Far too many people are too stupid to realize this :)

Good post. No, great post.

Meh, there's always people who are totally irrational when it comes to new releases.

I've listened to the samples 20-30 times each and to Uprising and United States Of Eurasia similarly so and my expectations are exaclty the same; I have absolutely no idea what to think until I have heard the album, in person, through a stonking stereo 20 times.

Meh, there's always people who are totally irrational when it comes to new releases.

I've listened to the samples 20-30 times each and to Uprising and United States Of Eurasia similarly so and my expectations are exaclty the same; I have absolutely no idea what to think until I have heard the album, in person, through a stonking stereo 20 times.

+1

We have no idea what to expect until we hear it and some of us will think it's the best thing ever, while others will think it's ok, or the worst thing Muse have ever done.

Speaking for myself, I haven't posted anything about the album as I know from past albums how unpredictable Muse can be.

Any if the treasure hunt taught us anything, its don't judge a song after 30 seconds! Watching the opinions change day by day as a little more was released, then change again after hearing the whole track and Collateral Damage was great fun!

There are some new tracks that have whet the appetite more than others but I think The Resistance will turn out be an album to heard as a complete work i.e. the whole will be greater than the sum of it parts, rather like Absolution IMO.

And thats just it - my opinion :D

Archived