Do you not like The Resistance?  

488 members have voted

1. 1. Do you not like The Resistance?

the 14th cant come quick enough

all this negativity made me actively relisten to the short previews again and i just cant wait to hear the album in full it will be a different animal than what came before similar bits here and there with bits I will have to get used to namely the queen harmonies

it shall be epic cranked up loud and surround

What if I offered to amend my fellow Resistance-Skeptics positions:

We don't think the album sucks.

We're WORRIED that it will.

And 30 seconds of a song is enough, to anyone who listens to popular music, to discern the general feel of a piece. Unless we've decided that pop music is entirely through-composed instead of sectioned out, the 30 seconds we've been given is essentially what the song will sound like.

Yes, this might all be a red herring, and the songs might actually end up caving our asses in when they rape us with they're awesomeness (come September 15).

But I think our position is valid, and those of you who simply tell us to shove it are being obstinately narrow minded.

The truth is we all fucking love this band. Hell, we've all accounts on the damn forum, for the love of <Insert Supreme Being of Choice Here>. We just want this album to be as amazing as the last four.

What if I offered to amend my fellow Resistance-Skeptics positions:

We don't think the album sucks.

We're WORRIED that it will.

And 30 seconds of a song is enough, to anyone who listens to popular music, to discern the general feel of a piece. Unless we've decided that pop music is entirely through-composed instead of sectioned out, the 30 seconds we've been given is essentially what the song will sound like.

Yes, this might all be a red herring, and the songs might actually end up caving our asses in when they rape us with they're awesomeness (come September 15).

But I think our position is valid, and those of you who simply tell us to shove it are being obstinately narrow minded.

The truth is we all fucking love this band. Hell, we've all accounts on the damn forum, for the love of <Insert Supreme Being of Choice Here>. We just want this album to be as amazing as the last four.

It's just so disappointing that they'd make this cheesy synth tribute album(perhaps excepting Exogenesis) instead of truly aiming for the heights of prog-rock which I Felt was their destiny. It's almost like they were afraid to get too close to the sun and backtracked with this thing...

It's just so disappointing that they'd make this cheesy synth tribute album(perhaps excepting Exogenesis) instead of truly aiming for the heights of prog-rock which I Felt was their destiny. It's almost like they were afraid to get too close to the sun and backtracked with this thing...

Well you may have thought that was their destiny, but evidently, they didn't, or else they would have made a record in the 'heights of prog-rock' that you described. And I really don't think they were pressured to make a record sound this way. Their label gave them the freedom to self produce and put a freaking symphony on the record. That's pretty damn progressive right there.

Anyway, I respect the fact that you don't seem to like these clips, but I think it's unfair to assume that this new direction that Muse has taken is the result of some sort of fear. They have four albums behind them. They sell out arenas (even in the US). What would they fear? Give them a bit of credit. All signs point that they actively chose this new style.

As the person before posted, you haven't heard it yet. None of us have.

Take, for example, Unnatural Selection. We've heard 30 seconds. 30 seconds of a 7 minute song.

Chris: On the other hand, Unnatural Selection is a heavy and hard rock number with completely different elements.

Interviewer: This song starts with a majestic pipe organ solo.

Chris: Yes, from there it turns into aggressive metal guitar rock, and it slows down to a

dramatic interlude, then it picks back up to violent riffs, and that’s how it develops. Since

there are so many tracks like that in this album, it’s impossible to categorize it into specific

genre.

By your logic, (not Chris's, but the person who I quoted above) it's just cheesy, synth crap. No, the description sounds more like prog rock to me. And besides, synth tribute album? Uprising had synth on it. Which by your logic automatically means that every song has synth in it. :rolleyes:

I can't believe you're not even giving any of the songs a chance, apart from Exogenesis.

haha this is so funny.

no one has even heard the album yet!! lol

. . .. .. . . . . . . . . . . ,.-‘”. . . . . . . . . .``~.,

. . . . . . . .. . . . . .,.-”. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .“-.,

. . . . .. .. . . . . ..,/. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ”:,

. . . .. . . . .. .,?. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .\,

. .. . . . . . . . /. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ,}

. . . . . . . . ./. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ,:`^`.}

. . . . . . . ./. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ,:”. . . ./

. . . . . . .?. . . __. . . . . . . . . . ... . . . . . . . . . :`. . . ./

. . . . . . . /__.(. . .“~-,_. . . . . . . . . . . . . . ,:`. . .. .. ./

. . . . . . /(_. . ”~,_. . . ..“~,_. . . . . . . . . .,:`. . . . _/

. . . .. .{.._$;_. . .”=,_. . . .“-,_. . . ,.-~-,}, .~”; /. .. .}

. . .. . .((. . .*~_. . . .”=-._. . .“;,,./`. . /” . . . ./. .. ../

. . . .. . .\`~,. . ..“~.,. . . . . . . . . ..`. . .}. . . . . . ../

. . . . . .(. ..`=-,,. . . .`. . . . . . . . . . . ..(. . . ;_,,-”

. . . . . ../.`~,. . ..`-.. . . . . . . . . . . . . . ..\. . /\

. . . . . . \`~.*-,. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ..|,./.....\,__

,,_. . . . . }.>-._\. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .|. . . . . . ...`=~-,

. .. `=~-,_\_. . . `\,. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .\

.. . . . . . . . . .`=~-,,.\,. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .\

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . `:,, . . . . . . . . . . . . . `\. . . . . . ..__

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .`=-,. . . . . . . . . .,%`>--==``

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . _\. . . . . ._,-%. . .

This. Aside from Exogenesis, it's easy to decide where you stand based on the 30 second clips alone.

And to all the people who say we haven't heard the album yet... where will your argument be when we have heard it and still feel the same way (which I undoubtedly will)? Down the drain, obv.

And to all the people who say we haven't heard the album yet... where will your argument be when we have heard it and still feel the same way (which I undoubtedly will)? Down the drain, obv.

Well, yeah. That argument will be irrelevant by that point, because you will have heard the album. By which point we may agree or disagree. But the argument still stands NOW, because as of NOW we have still yet to hear it.

Guest QueenOfNerds
Thread summary:

The album sucks!

The album is great!

Your opinion is wrong!

You haven't heard the album!

The album is shite!

The album is awesome!

My opinion is right!

You haven't heard the album!

The album is bollocks!

Casting aspersions, yada yada

Shut up! Matt is god!

Crying in cereal

One big family

Self combusting....

:LOL::happy:

I love how most, if not all, of the people who don't like the 30 second clips won't like the album, but when that happens all the people who were arguing that the 30 second clips weren't enough indication will be too busy loving the album to realize that they were wrong :LOL:

I love how most, if not all, of the people who don't like the 30 second clips won't like the album, but when that happens all the people who were arguing that the 30 second clips weren't enough indication will be too busy loving the album to realize that they were wrong :LOL:

Indeed.

Synths can be mis-used!

I cannot accuse Muse of ever mis-using a synthesizer. In fact, out of all the rock bands using them today (and there are many), Muse are probably the best at making their synth lines congeal with the music and serve a specific purpose within the song. Lots of bands just throw them in for the hell of it, but every synth hook in Muse has a job and does it wonderfully.

If you're a Muse fan, surely you must know that the band loves their electronica, and have for awhile, and it's not going anywhere.

I've heard 2 full songs and 30 secs of all the others and so far what I can tell is the production is better, it sounds crisper and a hell of a lot clearer than the over production of BHAR

I didn't want to hear another Muse album that had too many similarities to the old stuff, I wanted to hear a more progressive and maybe different style and feel. So far I dam well got it. I can't wait to buy it. Muse are so versatile and I went with an open mind to it.

So far I'm loving it off just a snippet! Whether that'll change when I hear the full album who knows, I doubt it though :D

im all for people saying that muse are advancing, and i love the clips.

but aren't the 30 second clips MADE for judging?

(for the people who say "dont judge by 30 second clips")

itunes put them up for you to judge whether you want to buy the album or not.

I say people need to accept where muse are right now.

I'm enjoying this muse more than absolution muse at the moment.

Archived