So???  

1,032 members have voted

1. 1. So???

• Cool
    • Oh dear!
    • It'll grow on me
    • Muse just killed themselves

As a long time fan of Muse whose favorite album is Origin of Symmetry, this song didn't appeal to me at first, until I realized the hidden message embedded in it.

Best love song? I haven't found anyone else talking about this, but did anyone catch the more sinister note to the song?

From when I first heard it :) It's quite a dark song, it's far from a love song, more a horrible character using a damaged one making promises he has no intention of keeping.

Gotta love dark, seedy, sexy songs :happy:

On Warm

Leatherette...

I have to say, in my very humble opinion, having read this thread & the I Belong To You Thread, that some people have WAYYYYYY too much time on their hands :eek:. What's wrong with just loving a song without looking for deeper meanings to it? Personally (and this is not a dig at anyone whose opinion differs) I find that if I dissect and overanalyse a song it somehow becomes less than it was (I'm the same with all art really...I used to loath English Literature at school :LOL: ). I also love Radiohead but I haven't got a friggin' clue what most of their songs are about (see Paranoid Android) but I don't care...I love them for what they are.

But hey, I guess we're all different & that's what makes life so darn interesting!

I have to say, in my very humble opinion, having read this thread & the I Belong To You Thread, that some people have WAYYYYYY too much time on their hands :eek:. What's wrong with just loving a song without looking for deeper meanings to it? Personally (and this is not a dig at anyone whose opinion differs) I find that if I dissect and overanalyse a song it somehow becomes less than it was (I'm the same with all art really...I used to loath English Literature at school :LOL: ). I also love Radiohead but I haven't got a friggin' clue what most of their songs are about (see Paranoid Android) but I don't care...I love them for what they are.

But hey, I guess we're all different & that's what makes life so darn interesting!

Paranoid Android was 3 songs stuck together, it has no meaning ;)

I don't sit around analyizing lyrics, most music doesn't even have them!

As a long time fan of Muse whose favorite album is Origin of Symmetry, this song didn't appeal to me at first, until I realized the hidden message embedded in it.

Best love song? I haven't found anyone else talking about this, but did anyone catch the more sinister note to the song?

First, I've found that I only hear this when I wear my headphones that are really good at differentiating between sounds. If you can catch the whispering voice in the "You trick your lovers" verse, they're probably good enough.

The first time the refrain is played, in both ears: " I [don't] want to reconcile the violence in your heart"

The second time the refrain is played (I only hear this in the right ear): "I [don't] want to recognize your beauty's not just a mask"

Also the second time, in both ears: "I [don't] want to satisfy the undisclosed desires in your heart"

The third time the refrain is played, I can barely make it out, but I especially hear a [don't] for each line when I listen in my left ear specifically to that lower growly voice that's underneath everything else.

They did a really good job of blending [don't] in with the bass. I'm probably missing one somewhere--it would make sense to have a [don't] in the first and third line of the first refrain, or maybe the first, second, and fourth in the second refrain. But what I hear for sure is the first line of the first refrain, the second and fourth lines for the second refrain, and all lines for the last refrain. Has anyone else caught this?

From what I can tell, this song is about love on the surface, and deceit underneath. Something that's "undisclosed" to the casual listener. Even if the song doesn't sound like Muse's style, this idea of an extra layer is very Muse.

are you sure its not just the bass you're hearing? I tried listening with headphones and I personally cant hear it at all, not only that but there really isnt enough time to fit it in, even if its quick. Even actively listening out for it, I really cant hear it, or even really imagine it.

You might be right, but I personally dont think there is a 'don't' there.

However I do agree with you that musically it does have a sinister edge to it...

are you sure its not just the bass you're hearing? I tried listening with headphones and I personally cant hear it at all, not only that but there really isnt enough time to fit it in, even if its quick. Even actively listening out for it, I really cant hear it, or even really imagine it.

You might be right, but I personally dont think there is a 'don't' there.

However I do agree with you that musically it does have a sinister edge to it...

I guess it would be difficult to find if you can't imagine it. It fits in pretty well though.

For me, the easiest place to hear it is "I [don't] want to reconcile" in the first refrain. If you still can't hear it, try slowing down the tempo (but not the pitch). I tried it out, and I can hear it using my computer speakers at that point. It's definitely vocal and not instrumental.

I probably do have too much time on my hands if I'm puzzling this out, but it drove me crazy when I first heard it! Sometimes I'd hear it, and sometimes I wouldn't, and that's when I started experimenting...

You have to be joking :facepalm:, Blackout is haunting and atmospheric, UD which is a synth pop / R&B song, catchy enough but not in the same league.

It's not even that I think that highly of Undisclosed Desires (Though I like it); Blackout just annoys me. You call it atmospheric and haunting, I call it boring and cringe-worthy. :p

Just one of those songs I never really got the fuss over, but I realize I'm in the minority there. Different strokes for different folks and all that. ;)

People who like Muse are generally (on average: mass statistics here) interested in a different genre, and some might even deeply hate the genre that is touched upon with UD.

(

I hate the genre, but I really like the song.

I already hae a friend who's favorite song from TR is UD :facepalm:

:(

So? UD and MK Ultra are my favourite songs from TR.

Guest QueenOfNerds

Been listening to this a lot lately. It makes me a little bit swoony :$

especially the whispering. Very very sexy.

I guess it would be difficult to find if you can't imagine it. It fits in pretty well though.

For me, the easiest place to hear it is "I [don't] want to reconcile" in the first refrain. If you still can't hear it, try slowing down the tempo (but not the pitch). I tried it out, and I can hear it using my computer speakers at that point. It's definitely vocal and not instrumental.

I probably do have too much time on my hands if I'm puzzling this out, but it drove me crazy when I first heard it! Sometimes I'd hear it, and sometimes I wouldn't, and that's when I started experimenting...

I can easily (lol) hear the "don't" in the first line of the chorus.

Funny, I hadn't read about the whispering and the first time I played the cd in my car, I heard it and kept rewinding to make sure it was what I was hearing. lol I don't know why I didn't hear it before then, now I hear it every time.

I can easily (lol) hear the "don't" in the first line of the chorus.

I can't hear the 'don't.' nevertheless, intriguing stuff.

Does this song have a Facebook fan page yet? I wanna make one; this song deserves it. :awesome: *remembers the IBTY fan page*

I voted the Oh Dear! option, only with the assumption that it meant Oh Dear! in a state of shock expressing the awesomeness this track represents.

I made a video about this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5-4Mnm0Gvy4

lol, I thought you were nuts but I can hear it too.

You have to force yourself to hear 'don't' at around the 32nd sec mark in your video and it stands out clearly.

It's not Matt singing 'don't' though - I think its the sound of air in the change of emphasis on the 'I' and the 'W'

Freaky though, well spotted :D