Butterflies and Hurricanes

Davey25

I'm doing Feeling Good for my group performance.

I wouldn't risk Butterflies and Hurricanes. Feeling Good is more then enough to get an A* (at least in performing) when played well enough.

I can play the whole of Butterflies and Hurricanes and it is a nice piece but there are too many chances for mistakes. Go for something simple.

• 1 month later...
try something by the mars volta, much more challenging. especially how it alternates time signature every bar in some songs :D

whats the point of putting yourself out for something as simple as GCSEs. keep the harder stuff for when you do have to show off. i.e. university recitals. :)

I did Space Dementia and go 14/15 of the marks! :D

I wanted to punch the teacher when i asked what was the 15th mark off for.... He said it was too plonky. As in played hard. How else was it supposed have been played!!

good stuff. ye you should of played the teacher the original, and seen what she thought of that.

I did Space Dementia and go 14/15 of the marks! :D

I wanted to punch the teacher when i asked what was the 15th mark off for.... He said it was too plonky. As in played hard. How else was it supposed have been played!!

I did it too.

ON GUITAR!!! lol Plug in Baby as well.

• 3 months later...

I'm writing my "IB Extended Essay" on Muse's influences in Butterflies and Hurricanes. For anything in the song, from percussion, to Matt's vocal style, to the Romantic piano solo in the middle.

I was hoping someone here could give me some ideas, ones i haven't already had myself!

Extra bonus points go to anyone who knows what pieces the piano solo has been "quoted" from.

Dunno how much it would help, but there's a video floating about...it's about how Showbiz was recorded, and Matt's playing an early version of the B&H solo there. If someone can find it, perhaps you could pick up some influences from that.

actualy what they show in that video is the main tune for butterflies not the solo.

the solo in an early form with drums and bass backing to it can be found on a youtube video called matt bellamy the piano master

hows about how 1 person can make a massive impact on the world the way a butterfly fluttering it's wings can change the course of a hurricane: that's an obvious one to start on and the chorus just reflects this. Rather than saying ''RACH 3 influences it cuz it sounds liek it!!!'' You'll get a good waffling and probably a D- for talking about that part on the piano rather than actually looking into the lyrics and their meaning. Rach 3 is an obvious one, nothing hard to do there as it has been admitted many times, I'm sure your lecturer wants you to dig a little deeper.

Extra bonus points go to anyone who knows what pieces the piano solo has been "quoted" from.

To be honest what is there to say? ''It is influenced by this piece of Music by this composer'' That is about it, you should look at the lyrics and the concept of the butterfly effect if anything.

Obv the piano solo is directly inspired from Rach III.

Please ignore this for the sake of your final grade ;)

There is no point within Rachmaninoff's 3rd which can be said to have directly inspired the solo in B&H. Like I said, the solo itself is a pastiche of the composition style which is associated with some late Classical / Romantic composers. You'd be safer writing that than suggesting Bellamy sat down and wrote that solo having listened to Rachmaninoff's 3rd (or any other piece) and decided to copy it. Even if he did, you'd be better staying on the safe side and spending more time discussing the meaning of the song and it's lyrics, as was said above.

Please ignore this for the sake of your final grade ;)

There is no point within Rachmaninoff's 3rd which can be said to have directly inspired the solo in B&H. Like I said, the solo itself is a pastiche of the composition style which is associated with some late Classical / Romantic composers. You'd be safer writing that than suggesting Bellamy sat down and wrote that solo having listened to Rachmaninoff's 3rd (or any other piece) and decided to copy it. Even if he did, you'd be better staying on the safe side and spending more time discussing the meaning of the song and it's lyrics, as was said above.

I think if you also have a rough idea at the marking criteria you can say really legitimately silly things that aren't actually true, to get you marks. The examiner isn't going to investigate Muse and their style, you just have to prove you deserve the marks.

Like in an essay ''Talk about a holiday you had once in your past to a penpal''

There are idiots that say ''lol i never been on holiday'' which may be true, but just make shit up so you get the marks to show the examiner you have communication skills. it's not really about where Muse got their influences from, it's to show you can identify them and express them properly, like identifying words in the lyrics which stick out, and giving reason for the choice of words Matt Bellamy uses in that song. If it were a music essay then you could talk about RACH 3 and various influences, key changes, chord voicings, and the elements of music.

you could also go really deep into the linguistics of the lyrics and look at things like semantic/lexical fields within them! so theres words in there like 'fights, battles, revenge' conveying a sense of anger an stuff, then compare that to words and sentences like 'best youve got to be the best' and how in comparison to the angry lyrics these are much more uplifting, and bring out that quality more within the song! ha ha!

wow its been ages since ive done someone elses homework! :D

Archived