my bomber replica

musecasters

• 6 months later...

Im in the process of building a red glitter manson, but at the same time working on a chrome bomber! I dont have the money to send my guitar off to sims unfortunately :( so was wondering if there is any other places that are cheaper or if its worth spraying it chrome myself? im not expecting it to be perfect. I have seen a chrome spray in halfords for about £8.

Really. Awe-struck were you? Dumb-founded? Over-whelmed? It was a religious experience watching that video. I bet it changed your world view and gave a whole new perspective to your life.

Considering I had never seen anything get chromed before, that video did inspire wonder.

Easily impressed, I guess. :$

Considering I had never seen anything get chromed before...

Thats not TRUE chroming, chroming is an electroplating process that adds a thin layer of usually chromium and nickel ontop of a metal item to 1) protect it and 2) add an aesthetic value to it. This is most probably a reaction between an aldehyde (sprayed first) and tollens reagent, forming a thin layer of Silver on the outside of the material as seen here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zFMsqcGdZCc

Bitches dont know about my Chemistry A-level...

Thats not TRUE chroming, chroming is an electroplating process that adds a thin layer of usually chromium and nickel ontop of a metal item to 1) protect it and 2) add an aesthetic value to it. This is most probably a reaction between an aldehyde (sprayed first) and tollens reagent, forming a thin layer of Silver on the outside of the material as seen here:

Ok, now that's awesome, too.

I don't know anything about the subject, but doesn't he spray something before applying a layer of a different thing? Can't that be the chromium and nickel that you talk about?

I don't know anything about the subject, but doesn't he spray something before applying a layer of a different thing? Can't that be the chromium and nickel that you talk about?

nope, as electroplating (and therefore "chroming") requires bare metal parts or ions (but i wont go into that) in a bath of "aqueous ions" (but i wont go into that)

Most probably (if what I am saying IS true), he was spraying the Tollens reagent or something similar onto the part, then washing it with an Aldehyde... but this is my opinion and how Id do it...

:awesome:

Suddenly £350 to get someone else to do it seems justifiable :erm:

Heh, its WAY too much of you have the know how...

get the guitar --> varish it so its smooooooooooooooooth --> dip (and suspend) into ammonical silver nitrate --> add aldehyde --> gently heat ... Remove --> rinse --> done

Worth £350 now?

get the guitar --> varish it so its smooooooooooooooooth --> dip (and suspend) into ammonical silver nitrate --> add aldehyde --> gently heat ... Remove --> rinse --> done

All I'm imagining seeing that is an effects chain :facepalm:

I guess it's not justifiable now... probably just me, I'm incredibly lazy :D

All I'm imagining seeing that is an effects chain :facepalm:

I guess it's not justifiable now... probably just me, I'm incredibly lazy :D

heh, i'd love explaining to customs why i'd need a VAT of silver nitrate, but if it was a business then its justifiable, anyway... who wants to come home after work and carry out work with toxic and irritive chemicals...

OH well, it'd work on the small scale, E.G chrome plating pickup rings/sustainers/trem units...

Archived