it's alright i think i know the differences, thanks for explaining. i'm tempted to go for a alpine white les paul, replace the hardware with chrome (i'm right to assume its not easy these days to get hardware in colours other than chrome, gold and black right?), put some new pups (tempted by the crazy: http://www.seymourduncan.com/products/electric/humbucker/progressive/prails_shpr1/ but will probably wimp out and get alnico hums) and then in the end it'll look like a cross between bucketheads les paul and sadly kate perrys les paul

You could change the pickup covers only, but I'm not sure how risky that is. The stock pickups in the LP studio are pretty good in my opinion, though.

Oh, the tuners you'll probably want to change anyway. They come stock with the 'deluxe' tuners, which are a bit fragile....when I got my LP, the first thing I did was change the tuners to grovers. (they don't require any modifications to the guitar btw, though they do leave extra mounting holes :( )

• 2 weeks later...

What is a dead fret? I heard this term on youtube the other day, and I believe I have a few on my strat. When i play around the 10th fret on the D and G strings, the string sorta...fails to ring, its just a quick flap and then dies away. It starts at its strongest at the 10th, and then kinda fades away gradually fret-by-fret until the 13th or so. I've tried raising the action, and it does help, but to have it at a point where its not bothering me too much means the action is higher than Everest.

Is this a case of getting some new frets popped in? If so, how simple would it be for a DIY job?

hmm maybe it's the neck itself? is it bowed/warped?

when it gets colder or warmer, necks usually need some slight adjustments. humidity also affects them.

i know that when i moved my guitars into a warmer room recently, they needed to be setup again.

Does this help?

How effect did chris use for TIRO?

From bass guitar magazine issue 18 interview with chris (kindly provided by amj)

How did you get the bass sound on that track(TIRO)?

It's a bit of a cheat really!

Your secret is safe with me..

We tried for ages to get the right bass sound. Some of the things we tried were quite ridiculous. We tried flangers, acoustic basses, dubbing with phasers, you name it, but it still wasn't happening. One day Matt was fooling around with a JP 8000 synth and started getting this portamento vibe going (mimes track intro). So we recorded that and I put down a horrendously subby bassline using the pedulla and when we put them together it made a weird, buzzy,disgusting kinda noise and that's what we used.

What do you do about that live?

I play the line over the top of a synth backing track.

I know that's the article, but it's not about the hysteria sound :erm:

hmm maybe it's the neck itself? is it bowed/warped?

when it gets colder or warmer, necks usually need some slight adjustments. humidity also affects them.

i know that when i moved my guitars into a warmer room recently, they needed to be setup again.

I dont think it's the neck, its pretty straight with just some slight relief (for preference reasons), same as its always been. I dont think its the weather either, its just constantly cold here :LOL:

Me and some friends are trying out new things when it comes to instuments etc and the question is. How can I make my guitar sound as much as a bass as possible (exept just using an octave pedal or, as some always reply, buying a bass). I would really like to get the "right vibe". If people wonder how much I would like to spend I think the budget will be around 200 euro.

Me and some friends are trying out new things when it comes to instuments etc and the question is. How can I make my guitar sound as much as a bass as possible (exept just using an octave pedal or, as some always reply, buying a bass). I would really like to get the "right vibe". If people wonder how much I would like to spend I think the budget will be around 200 euro.

the closest you could get would probably be to use an octave pedal and to tweak your eq a bit, but that will always sound a little 'loose'. tbh its close to impossible to make a guitar sound much like a bass though

Archived