no it's not so bad. The projects i've done so far have had such a low current draw, that even after they're done, i haven't had to replace the batteries yet. I do want to get a PSU, but i just don't have the money at the moment. I was looking at this one, which doesn;t seem too bad. However, i only get paid monthly, and this month i've a shit load of expenses, like muse tickets, flights, and materials for college. So maybe next month, but for the moment, the batteries are fine.

well once i get a psu, i'll use the 12v on it. i think i'll just build the VC till then.

I've got a schematic for a VC if your interested, pretty sure there was in the Diefet thread though so you've probably already got it.

yeah i got one, and i got a vero too. But, the vero isn't great, and really spread out. i'm almost positive i could redraw a smaller one. I'll forward you it if you like?

That would be great, I'll prob be on msn later anyway so just send it through then.

ok, so, with the valvecaster on vero, i managed to get it to 15 x 10, which isn't exactly massive, but i guess it could be better.

also, i just read about someone who tried it with a 6111 miniature and said it gave a bit more bass. This sounds really interesting, cos i find that some of my pedals tend to suck out the bass a lot.

ugh!!!

pay day is so fucking slow to arrive. Anyway, when it does, i'm ordering parts for the VC build. I've my stripboard layout down to 11x9 holes, which is a pretty small size.

I was looking back at the vid on yt of someones Valvecaster, made with an old stock GE 5751. apparently, the GE 5751 is a replacement for a 12AX7, but with 30% less gain, making it closer to a 12AT7 than a 12AX7. It's like, if the amount of gain you get from a 12AX7 is 100, then the 12AT7 is 60. The 5751's are 70. The vid is pretty much an ideal amount of gain imo, so, i'm thinking 12AT7 is a pretty good choice. I'll try both the AT and the AX, but the price of a 5751 is nearly double either an AT or an AX.

Also, i was hoping to fit it into one of the hammond FF sized boxes, but it wont fit with a battery, so, it'll have to be one of the NEWER Big muff sized boxes. (about 1.5 times the size of a FF).

ugh!!!

pay day is so fucking slow to arrive. Anyway, when it does, i'm ordering parts for the VC build. I've my stripboard layout down to 11x9 holes, which is a pretty small size.

I was looking back at the vid on yt of someones Valvecaster, made with an old stock GE 5751. apparently, the GE 5751 is a replacement for a 12AX7, but with 30% less gain, making it closer to a 12AT7 than a 12AX7. It's like, if the amount of gain you get from a 12AX7 is 100, then the 12AT7 is 60. The 5751's are 70. The vid is pretty much an ideal amount of gain imo, so, i'm thinking 12AT7 is a pretty good choice. I'll try both the AT and the AX, but the price of a 5751 is nearly double either an AT or an AX.

Also, i was hoping to fit it into one of the hammond FF sized boxes, but it wont fit with a battery, so, it'll have to be one of the NEWER Big muff sized boxes. (about 1.5 times the size of a FF).

If you're going to by a AT and an AX it'll cost the same as the 5751 so you may as well just get one of them!

Won't the valve suck your battery? I'd get a PSU and go for the smaller enclosure.

nah. It's a starved plate "engine" so, the current draw is something like 200 MICROamps. A FF, i believe, is somewhere close to 300microamps, so it should be grand.

If you're going to by a AT and an AX it'll cost the same as the 5751 so you may as well just get one of them!

this is true. However, i'd like to try an AX, and the AT sounds like it's a nice level of gain.

As promised... im making my Fuzz face clone....

1 brick wall tho... should I get BC108C's or BC183C transistors?

I don't mind "Harsh sounding fuzz" but I don't want it hissing like mad!

and i don't want such an effect that all you can hear is a 'timid' fuzz...

answers please... also to save you time... here are the Transistors...

http://uk.farnell.com/jsp/search/productdetail.jsp?sku=9206817&_requestid=308081

http://uk.farnell.com/jsp/search/productdetail.jsp?sku=1017655&_requestid=310221

Thanks in advance!

As promised... im making my Fuzz face clone....

1 brick wall tho... should I get BC108C's or BC183C transistors?

I don't mind "Harsh sounding fuzz" but I don't want it hissing like mad!

and i don't want such an effect that all you can hear is a 'timid' fuzz...

answers please... also to save you time... here are the Transistors...

http://uk.farnell.com/jsp/search/productdetail.jsp?sku=9206817&_requestid=308081

http://uk.farnell.com/jsp/search/productdetail.jsp?sku=1017655&_requestid=310221

Thanks in advance!

Fuuuuuuuck it!

BC183C it is...

less power dissipation and more gain.

not to mention ... MADE IN TEH UK'Z! :awesome:

have you checked out http://www.bitsbox.co.uk? SUPER cheap, and a great selection. What transistors are you looking for, and if bitsbox don't have it, i'll tell you the equivilants.

well, i was looking for BC183C transistors the link is in one of my previous posts, and no, i didn't check bitsbox...

its a rare (kind of) transistor, it has the most reasonable characteristics for a fuzz pedal though... very tweakable...

but go ahead Trad3mark, you have better experience at making pedals than me so... shoot...

well.... you know that if you take a fuzz schematic, for example, you can totally interchange the transistors?

So lets say I was building a Fuzz Face. afaik, that uses 2 x NPN's, right? Well, why not go onto somewhere like bitsbox (which i've used 4 times now, and i think tomrulz has used twice, both happy customers!) and order a varity of NPN's? From experience, i've tested a few in Fuzz pedals, with seriously mixed results. here's what i tried, just so you've an idea:

NPN's:

2n3904 - Not too bad. Very reliable, and widely used in things like Fuzz Factories amongst others. Often can be a bit clippy, but gives consistent results

2N2222A - I prefer this to a 2n3904. You get a much smoother sound. Although at first i thought the volume was a bit lacking, i just realised my amp was turned down lol!

i tried a bunch of PNP's though. I noticed more of a difference with those in the circuit, cos afaik, the NPN's are generally used for the boost parts of the Fuzz circuits. Are there PNP's in the Fuzz Face?

oh, btw, i'm not trying to force bitsbox on you, but i had issues with farnell on two occasions, and i've had nothing but excellence with bitsbox, and i think tom's the same. Just giving advice from experience like. :)

edit:

btw, on bitsbox, they stock BC128B's. From the datasheets, they're not a million miles off eachother....

well.... you know that if you take a fuzz schematic, for example, you can totally interchange the transistors?

So lets say I was building a Fuzz Face. afaik, that uses 2 x NPN's, right? Well, why not go onto somewhere like bitsbox (which i've used 4 times now, and i think tomrulz has used twice, both happy customers!) and order a varity of NPN's? From experience, i've tested a few in Fuzz pedals, with seriously mixed results. here's what i tried, just so you've an idea:

NPN's:

2n3904 - Not too bad. Very reliable, and widely used in things like Fuzz Factories amongst others. Often can be a bit clippy, but gives consistent results

2N2222A - I prefer this to a 2n3904. You get a much smoother sound. Although at first i thought the volume was a bit lacking, i just realised my amp was turned down lol!

i tried a bunch of PNP's though. I noticed more of a difference with those in the circuit, cos afaik, the NPN's are generally used for the boost parts of the Fuzz circuits. Are there PNP's in the Fuzz Face?

oh, btw, i'm not trying to force bitsbox on you, but i had issues with farnell on two occasions, and i've had nothing but excellence with bitsbox, and i think tom's the same. Just giving advice from experience like. :)

edit:

btw, on bitsbox, they stock BC128B's. From the datasheets, they're not a million miles off eachother....

Hmmmmmm...

nop, no PNP's in the Fuzz Face... here's the schematic im working off.... fuzzfacenpnschematic.gif

i'm not tempted to use a transistor that i cant find the data sheets for, let alone one that hasnt been included in a Fuzz face before, however, i will look at the 2N2222A in one or both spots in the Fuzz face, you cant go wrong!

thanks for all the help... Indespensable!

and chillax... they look cheap enough also!

(Pssst.... if i dont find anything i like i can always go into school and "borrow" a few transistors :awesome:)

Archived