I thought maybe he was making other naughty things... If they are clipping diodes, there's no such thing as backwards :chuckle:

I thought there was, or do these circuits work in AC?

n00b question

what's this whole clipping diode vs. LED thing?...do both do the same thing?

The common 'Keeley' mod (Seeing eye et al) is to replace the clipping diodes with LEDs. I could do a few clips of my DS1 if you want to hear the difference :)

I really hope you're not talking about clipping diodes! Are you still building naughty stuff or can you post details?

No i wasn't talking about diode clipping, although a mod to what i was building uses a simple diode clipping addition to vary the brightness afaik. I wasn't building a FF clone btw.

A certain naughty thing doesn't contain any diodes. And if they are the clipping diodes, why aren't they LEDs?

Yeah it doesn't, but it has some pretty interesting stuff in it. I like the transistor bias bits; something which i've seen in some newer fuzz pedals. I don't know a whole lot about diode clipping, but i know it crops up in a lot of mods, particularly with tone stacks afaik. I'd love to learn more about it tbh.

Unfortunately, due to exam results, i've to repeat a project over the summer. I've already started on it, and it's going well. However, this means no new builds for a little bit. The good news is, with the last build being pretty successful, I think i've found something guitar building wise, that i'm good at :LOL:.

The next build... well i'm not too sure what to do. The Diefet was a preference, but it runs of 12V instead of 9, and using something like a charge pump or transformer would really kill the battery life, so i think that'll be a project down the line a bit.

HOWEVER, there are a few things i've been looking at.

this one's out in front; the Valvecaster. This one is pretty cool. It's an overdrive/distortion that runs off a 9V battery (average current draw afaik), and the "engine" for the OD is a starved plate.... FROM AN 12AU7 VALVE!!! Yes, there's the argument that it doesn't get the high voltage to really get going, but, the result is astonishingly good. It sounds really full, albeit quite bright. That being said, I like it...

WIDEO'D:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3cMqYlhSQ8c

The common 'Keeley' mod (Seeing eye et al) is to replace the clipping diodes with LEDs. I could do a few clips of my DS1 if you want to hear the difference :)

Ahh I had a Keeley DS-1 a while back. The difference was noticeable for sure - I preferred the LEDs over the diodes.

about the valvecaster, it looks very easy to build, and since you pulled off the fuzz factory build im sure you can do it

http://www.beavisaudio.com/Projects/ValveCaster/MatsuminValveCasterWiring.gif

you think you will build it?

who said i built a FF?

as far as the valvecaster goes, i think i'll be building it on stripboard instead of on the valve (or a valve socket) itself. There's less room to fuck things up. I'm going to buy a 12AU7, a 12AX7 and something crazy like a 12AY7 and try out the three to see how much gain i actually want. I've heard the 12AX7 is way too much, and the 12AY7 could be fun. I'm looking for one of the really really low gain 12A*7's at the moment, so that i could use it more so as a tone booster than an OD.

i was on a pedal building forum and someone with the name trad3mark built a fuzz factory, and they had the same sig as you, so i figured hey, its the same person. and its been mentioned in this thread.

freestompboxes.org?

cause they apparently built three

:ninja:

hmmm.... an interesting point on the diefet for anyone interested.

i was a bit reluctant to build it cos i don't have a 12V power supply handy, however, it looks like it CAN be built with a 9V, but, there's less headroom on the distortion. The distortion would kick in earlier on the gain pot like. So at the moment, i'm weighing up these two options:

1. Could this be balanced out a bit more with a log pot for gain?

2. Is earlier distortion on the diefet a bad thing?

Archived