I can haz reverb

[soundcloud]

[/soundcloud]

Mucking around with the FV-1 chip. Looks like a fun chip to exploit. There seems to be a wealth of programs already written for it. Seems to do delays/stutters pretty well also. Can even overdrive and filter. I have to make a mixer to blend in the dry track but so far it sounds nice on its own on a large reverb. Definitely doesn't suffer from slapback like the Belton brick or anything like that. Pretty small footprint too. :D

*The clipping is because the bass response was pushing the amp too hard, so it builds up nicely. Hence the need for filters. Might go the passive route for them and use the pots for the chips to carry other parameters.

EDIT: Noise is due to the board being powered by USB. It uses a positive center power supply which I'll have to buy... I mean make :facepalm:

I had a look at that, it looks waaay to ambitious for me. I started on my reverbs last night. 2 of them are going well, but for the third one, I need to figure out how to do a buffer with an output impedance of 8R. I know it can be done with an opamp fairly easily, but it seems messy to go tube>opamp>reverb tank>opamp>tube.

The thing that is overly complicated is the programming. Even I, who program regularly in my degree am getting stumped by this.:rofl: Other than that, it's cool to use as an "anything" effects chip. Not powerful by DSP standards but versatile. Lots of passive filters coming in! :D

Oh damn, still issues with the spring tank? Do you need the tube on both sides?

I had a look at that, it looks waaay to ambitious for me. I started on my reverbs last night. 2 of them are going well, but for the third one, I need to figure out how to do a buffer with an output impedance of 8R. I know it can be done with an opamp fairly easily, but it seems messy to go tube>opamp>reverb tank>opamp>tube.

Use an output transformer. They will be cheap for the spec you need, and it's a simple solution. Ampmaker has a SE output trannie that will probably work fine provided you have the correct input impedance.

Yeah see I would rather avoid using a transformer. I can get around it with the second one cos a cathode follower will give me the 150R output impedance I need for that reverb tank, but the other tank I has is 8R. So I'm tempted to actually just get a different tank.

I can haz reverb

[soundcloud]

[/soundcloud]

Mucking around with the FV-1 chip. Looks like a fun chip to exploit. There seems to be a wealth of programs already written for it. Seems to do delays/stutters pretty well also. Can even overdrive and filter. I have to make a mixer to blend in the dry track but so far it sounds nice on its own on a large reverb. Definitely doesn't suffer from slapback like the Belton brick or anything like that. Pretty small footprint too. :D

*The clipping is because the bass response was pushing the amp too hard, so it builds up nicely. Hence the need for filters. Might go the passive route for them and use the pots for the chips to carry other parameters.

EDIT: Noise is due to the board being powered by USB. It uses a positive center power supply which I'll have to buy... I mean make :facepalm:

#editors

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S1SG1hQObm0&hd=1

I had Interpol in my mind. Granted, this is my old band sound in a nutshell with stacked reverbs and 4 delays. The Edge would be proud.

Got around to making a reverb that swells in too. Using a pre delay as a timer for a envelope trigger to adjust the attack on the original signal so you end up getting that strum, then volume control. Interesting when no clean is in.

Lot of filters to play around with too. I can see myself going way overboard with this. Might make a rackmount unit first with all the ideas I can throw in.

Yeah that's why I have a big A0 sized cutting mat. It comes off it easily.

I'm digging the rack mount by the way!

Transistors are:

Type 1: BC550C

Type 2: GT404B Russian Germanium NPNs

Type 3: BC109C/TBD (Different transistor for the 4th transistor)

Type 4: M25A Russian Germanium PNPs

Type 5: BC550C

The diodes will also vary between them, including the usual 1n4148 ones, a selection of germanium ones, and some other interesting ones. I've often wondered about asymmetric clipping in a muff too.

Crowella, maybe it's just personal taste, but for the pedals I think it's alright having the white design, but for a 'professional' rack unit I think it looks better if the base colour wasn't just white, dunno if that's just me but white would just stick out a bit to me, which then again may be a good thing

I don't know shit about electronics so this is the best input I can give

Crowella, maybe it's just personal taste, but for the pedals I think it's alright having the white design, but for a 'professional' rack unit I think it looks better if the base colour wasn't just white, dunno if that's just me but white would just stick out a bit to me, which then again may be a good thing

I know those feels.I'm umming and aahing about it too. I do want it to stick out especially since I get over the monotonous grey/black I see in studios and I want to make it stand out and not appear cheap. Granted, every studio I have been in, the racks that aren't black grab my attention straight away so that could be why.

If it looks tacky, then it gets attention. :LOL:

Go with the white. It's like a throwback to early 2000's when the iPod was launched and Everything Was white.

One question though, where's the bitcrushed option?

The programs aren't set in stone. Who said that isn't an option :ninja: If I can figure out how to really go beyond the 8 program limitation, I will be stoked. :happy: Granted, I probably know how to.

I like the white/orange consistency to be honest! I think it looks good. Relevant note to the reverb, Crowella, I'm adding a momentary footswitch controlled feedback loop to mine. It'll still have a pot to control how much gets looped back, but ive always found that its a nice little feature on a reverb. Just in case you hadn't considered it!

*tear* those solder splashes. My life. :)

List of transistors you are using?

Also, going a little overkill. Actually, no I'm not.

tumblr_noqo8d89xO1uvraloo1_1280.png

Next level stuff:\mm/:

Why no option to switch between the external EEPROM and the internal programs? Are they shit? (i mean the internal ones) Some of them seems interesting.

Btw here is an article about switching between external EEPROM chips for moar banks:

http://www.muzique.com/news/adding-memory-to-the-fv-1-reverb/

Next level stuff:\mm/:

Why no option to switch between the external EEPROM and the internal programs? Are they shit? (i mean the internal ones) Some of them seems interesting.

Btw here is an article about switching between external EEPROM chips for moar banks:

http://www.muzique.com/news/adding-memory-to-the-fv-1-reverb/

The internal ones are fine by all means, one of the plans was to go from 0-F on the dial to switch off the external EEPROM and go to the internal. Granted, I can simply add more EEPROM and some switching logic like that article, which is better when you are switching from bank 7 on one EEPROM to bank 0 on the other. I think it writes the instructions to the chip from the EEPROM but I can't remember, will have to look through the sheets.

Next level stuff would be interrupting the EEPROM and being able to modify more parameters before it gets sent to the FV-1. That's possible, just have to figure out how... that might take a while. :LOL: Been too many years since I worked with PIC chips. Last time was for a robot six years ago and this seems more complex than that... wow, that's strange to say.

Next level stuff would be interrupting the EEPROM and being able to modify more parameters before it gets sent to the FV-1. That's possible, just have to figure out how... that might take a while. :LOL: Been too many years since I worked with PIC chips. Last time was for a robot six years ago and this seems more complex than that... wow, that's strange to say.

Wait are you actually understand those fucked assembly like reverb algorithms? I thought you just copied them from the internet like a sane human being would do. It's 2015, copy-pasting others Arduino code is the standard procedure now.

Oh no, it still fucks with my brain but I'm going to learn it god damn it. I must put whatever I learned at uni to some use.

Best and current case scenario: There is some nice software that pretty much visualises what is done and puts them into coded modules and even shows the delay memory being used. It's like mix and match, really nifty!

The meh case: Someone converted the code to be implemented with Java. That's fine with me, I can work with that and will probably be useful in creating ways to interrupt the communication with the EEPROM and the FV-1

Worst case scenario: I try to learn the assembly language then if successful, apply for a job at NASA because I'm certain that meets qualification.

Also copying code from the net has always been standard procedure. Granted, I have to be *that* guy when it comes to work and write my own. Uni has drilled that into me and then if I do tutor this year, probably should show by example :LOL:

• 1 month later...

Archived