Your original point was that the guitar hero version of the album is noticably different to the general release version. We agreed on that.

fair enough

My original point was about the fact that there's no "digital clipping" on the album, the album does not make your HiFi distort, and there is a big band wagon upon which a load of "musos" have jumped, which has perpetuated these myths.

yes and you jumped on me for being on that bandwagon and said "That has nothing to do with whether or not the master is "distorted" as everyone claims (it's not)". that was before you said anything specifically about digital clipping or any other kind of distortion, you just claimed it doesn't distort at all

I've never used the word empirically.

I just get very annoyed when people tell me "It's full of digital clipping" or "it distorts your stereo" which are both factual statements, and both entirely erronneous.

meh, it starts with 'e' and says the same thing :p

yes and you jumped on me for being on that bandwagon and said "That has nothing to do with whether or not the master is "distorted" as everyone claims (it's not)". that was before you said anything specifically about digital clipping or any other kind of distortion, you just claimed it doesn't distort at all

I think his point was the distortion was intentional, so therefore part of the sound rather than shoddy mastering/engineering/production.

lolz right, i'll say it again, lets just chill this is the definitive fact:

If the distortion was intentional, or the mastering engineer had necked a bottle of midouri before he went to work..

The album is musically horseshit and production wise horseshit, the guitar hero version too! its a poo poo album, poo... poooo

:) think were gonna all end up setting fire to each others houses the way this thread is going ! lmao

Sorry I think you misinterpreted my aggressive language for personal insults. You are right, I didn't word my first couple of posts very well, it looked as though I was saying "there's no distortion on DM".

Doooooooooooooooooog

He's nothing but a droog

Spends all day working McDonalds and eating all their food

He needs to chill out!

Smoke a fat spliff

Breethe deep, in and out, let your mind drift

Not too far you puff!

Stop thinking about men!

All I said was relax! Just try counting to ten

Fuck it, you get three verses anyway.

I have been working on a remix recently and here is the rough instrumental mix I came up with today. I started from scratch this morning and bounced this instrumental track at around 5pm central time zone. I will work on vocals a little this weekend, but will probably spend the weekend drinking and touching up the instruments first. Take a listen and tell me what you think of the mix.

http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=49ce8a9438d08ec819747bd91027d4ddf5eda69bb18467d3

These are notes I came up with after listening to it:

Drums aren't loud enough

piano sounds a little dull

the G-B-e strings are harsh in the intro riff and need to be smoothed down a bit.

snare in interlude needs to be a little beefier.

take a listen and give me some pointers. thanks.

I didn't feel like uploading a wav since my internet is slow, so deal with the 196 mp3. Snare some attack in the mp3.

Also I can't seem to get any output from cubase to the mixer to speakers/amp whatever (I don't have a PA). The mixer is getting the sound as I can see the lights flashing to indicate there is sound coming out from cubase but it's not sending it to the amp or speakers through the main mix output

I have been working on a remix recently and here is the rough instrumental mix I came up with today. I started from scratch this morning and bounced this instrumental track at around 5pm central time zone. I will work on vocals a little this weekend, but will probably spend the weekend drinking and touching up the instruments first. Take a listen and tell me what you think of the mix.

http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=49ce8a9438d08ec819747bd91027d4ddf5eda69bb18467d3

These are notes I came up with after listening to it:

Drums aren't loud enough

piano sounds a little dull

the G-B-e strings are harsh in the intro riff and need to be smoothed down a bit.

snare in interlude needs to be a little beefier.

take a listen and give me some pointers. thanks.

I didn't feel like uploading a wav since my internet is slow, so deal with the 196 mp3. Snare some attack in the mp3.

WOW I really like it!

I think the intro's fine... drums are a bit distant though.

But it's wonderful :D

Also I can't seem to get any output from cubase to the mixer to speakers/amp whatever (I don't have a PA). The mixer is getting the sound as I can see the lights flashing to indicate there is sound coming out from cubase but it's not sending it to the amp or speakers through the main mix output

Do you still have this problem? Do you have lights on the master meter?

Sorry I think you misinterpreted my aggressive language for personal insults. You are right, I didn't word my first couple of posts very well, it looked as though I was saying "there's no distortion on DM".

Doooooooooooooooooog

He's nothing but a droog

Spends all day working McDonalds and eating all their food

He needs to chill out!

Smoke a fat spliff

Breethe deep, in and out, let your mind drift

Not too far you puff!

Stop thinking about men!

All I said was relax! Just try counting to ten

Fuck it, you get three verses anyway.

surely that^s ban-worthy rapping?

• 1 year later...
you shouldn't be mixing on either really. Don't you have some half decent stereo speakers?

i don't expect good results from this setup, i just found this interesting, (that with 5$ built in speakers i can have better results than with a 300-400$ headphone "listening chain") i have a "decent" computer speaker (not 5.1 bullshit but not monitor stuff either) but i think their freq. resp. is nowhere near flat.

Btw Izotope Ozone have a function called EQ matching, it "collects" a tracks frequency response and then collects yours and it can eq your track until your track freq. response looks similar to the one you try to copy. It can help if you get for example the bass levels really wrong because of a shit speaker.

Looking at a really lot of track's frequency response from different genres were the biggest help i ever got about mixing, i think this helps you to get know to your speakers sound to be able to make better mixes.

(like in my case, if i mixed a track in a way it sounded "good" (i can't really mix/produce but eq wise it was kinda good) on my headphones i actually had to cut back a lot of mids because my headphone overexxagerates them and on other systems my mix would have been sounded even more bad)

when you say it "collects" the frequency response, I mean, I just find this debatable. You need a mic to "collect" in the first place, and they won't know the frequency response of the mic as they don't know the response of the speakers yet, let alone the room.

when you say it "collects" the frequency response, I mean, I just find this debatable. You need a mic to "collect" in the first place, and they won't know the frequency response of the mic as they don't know the response of the speakers yet, let alone the room.

i probably used the wrong words, it basically measures the loudness of different frequency bands and creathes a graph from the values measured during playback. it averages the results constantly as long as you play the song.

this graph looks pretty similar for a lot of songs, even from different genres, it looks like there is an universal consensus about what sounds "good."

Here's a screenshot about responses measured and averaged through most of the songs:

(songs were limited to be around the same loudness but still the mau5 was probably louder than Floyd but it doesn't matter too much for this graph)

purple - Pink Floyd: Time

yellow - Muse: Hysteria

white - Prodigy - Spitifire

blue - Daft Punk - Around The World

red - Deadmau5 - Ghosts N Stuff

respo.png

Actually there's a massive difference between all of those songs!

i'd say the difference is minimal (ok the mids are different thing but we have pop songs with vocals being the loudest and some guitar /muse/ and stuff "without" any midrange /mau5/ but that 5db difference is still lower than what untreated rooms and non monitor speakers can cause) compared to the difference between the response of different speakes and listening enviroments. A fucking room can create 20db (!) or more variation of levels if it's not some perfectly treated studio room, if we exclude Time which is not loud enough to compare to the others the difference between the songs is nothing compared to the difference between your room and Abbey Road or whatever hyped studio.

So while we won't hear our mixes in our shitty rooms with shitty equipments at least we can see them and compare it to the pro stuff.

The differences between my "mixes" and between the songs on that pic were far greater because of my headphones (sennheiser hd555)

The differences between my "mixes" and between the songs on that pic were far greater because of my headphones (sennheiser hd555)

Shouldn't be mixing on headphones anyway. :p

But yeah, acoustic treatment is important, but a lot of studios will have multiple monitor options, the idea is to balance between them, rather than rely on one set for all your mixing. Which would probably have more of an impact than the room itself.

Abbey Road's monitors cost £13,000 each.

I thought you were talking about a program that analyses the frequency response of your monitoring set-up, and then EQs to compensate.

What you're actually saying is that you've found a spectrum analyzer and ran some of your favorite mixes through it.

I don't think mixing by sight is a good idea!

If you're forced to mix on headphones, the way to compensate is to take your finished mixes around and listen to them on a couple of half decent systems, and in the car, and on your shitty laptop, and listen to where you've gone wrong. That's when you compare it to other CDs IMO.

Archived