When you rehearse with the band, always setup like you are on stage and try and make sure the speakers from the amps are pointing at roughly where your ears are.

Makes soundchecking a doddle as you don't waste ages trying to work out why everything sounds shit.

Wish I had a good recording set up :(

I haven't got the money for a mic (not even a wee shure sm57) so have to use the headphone output of my amp into my mixing deck... As you can imagine this doesn't sound great... I loose all the nice tone front he speaker from my vox Vt30 and everything sounds very clipped.

At the end it makes EQing very hard :(

liam yuo should be able to record a decent DI'd guitar tone. What interface are you using? it sounds like you're clipping the input on your computer/interface.

Deffinitely EQ out most above 5Khz anyway

Basically I have my guitar going straight into the amp, which doesn't have a line out so I have to output through the headphone jack using an AUX cable into my Mixing desk, which I tend to bypass any compression or EQing whilst playing.

right OK, you're not moving it to a computer, you're mixing in the Zoom box?

As you're recording into the box there'll be a level meter jumping up and down on the screen. Make sure it peaks about 2/3 of the way up, that way you can guarantee it's not clipping.

How does the guitar sound through headphones plugged into the headphone output of your amp? It should sound exactly the same coming back out of the Zoom recorder. if it sounds different then something is going wrong in the recording process, but I can't think of much you can fuck up apart from input gain

right OK, you're not moving it to a computer, you're mixing in the Zoom box?

As you're recording into the box there'll be a level meter jumping up and down on the screen. Make sure it peaks about 2/3 of the way up, that way you can guarantee it's not clipping.

How does the guitar sound through headphones plugged into the headphone output of your amp? It should sound exactly the same coming back out of the Zoom recorder. if it sounds different then something is going wrong in the recording process, but I can't think of much you can fuck up apart from input gain

Yeah it tends to sound the same bar the differences in sound from headphones and the speakers in the room. I think it mostly is a clipping issue when I record, that and possibly the need of a guitar set up and battery change for active pickups.

if the sound you get out of the zoom into headphones is the same as the sound you get out of the amp into headphones, you don't have a problem recording. you have a problem getting a decent tone out of your amp, or at least out of the headphone output of your amp.

does the amp have an FX send you could use as a line out?

I would try turning down the gain, treble, presence, and also check out the Zoom for any amp modellers it might have built in.

if the sound you get out of the zoom into headphones is the same as the sound you get out of the amp into headphones, you don't have a problem recording. you have a problem getting a decent tone out of your amp, or at least out of the headphone output of your amp.

does the amp have an FX send you could use as a line out?

I would try turning down the gain, treble, presence, and also check out the Zoom for any amp modellers it might have built in.

Yeah, thats why im considering getting a mic, I find that I much prefer the sound of the amp when Ive no headphones plugged in. unfortunately it doesnt have an FX send or anything.

well, you could try a bit of compression, but mainly your problem is EQ. Your guitar cab is probably getting rid of a lot below 100Hz and above 5Khz. EQ this out. then make a fairly wide EQ boost (about 1db) and sweep it up and down the spectrum until you find a place you like.

• 8 months later...
  • 7 months later...

Are monitors really better for mixing than headphones? I've seen people in favour of both, but I'm really uneducated in the subject so I have no idea which really is better than the other. Or if one is better at all!

I've started thinking about investing in a pair of monitors, currently looking at Eve Audio SC204s or Tannoy Reveal 502/802s. All the stuff I've done previously has been mixed predominantly on my headphones, which admittedly aren't great, and I've always found that when I get something that I think sounds good, I'll listen through speakers and it just sounds a bit shitty. I'm sure that's as much down to my inexperience at mixing as it is the headphones themselves though..

But considering I'd be mixing in an untreated room with loads of stuff that would probably mess with the acoustics heavily, it's just gotten me wondering whether I should get some monitors, or if investing in a decent pair of studio headphones might actually be a better idea?

In your situation I would suggest a combination of both

With headphones, you get a more detailed picture of the sound. They're great for tweaking EQ etc. But, you'll find that if you've got anything really wide, this will not be loud enough when to go to listening on speakers because it sounds so much louder on headphones.

Not sure if that's explained very well but I have to fuck off to my studio now

In your situation I would suggest a combination of both

With headphones, you get a more detailed picture of the sound. They're great for tweaking EQ etc. But, you'll find that if you've got anything really wide, this will not be loud enough when to go to listening on speakers because it sounds so much louder on headphones.

Not sure if that's explained very well but I have to fuck off to my studio now

I wondered if someone might say that... :LOL:

Yeah that makes sense. Guess I'll have to start saving then!

Monitors all the way.

Nothing wrong with headphones, but they are fatiguing and best as a backup/alternative to monitors.

Untreated rooms are not great, but the whole point of near field monitors is to minimise the impact the room has on what you are hearing. Low end will end up with all sorts of problems, just use a sine wave generator set to different frequencies and wander around the room to see where the peaks and nulls are.

Oh and if anyone would like me to have a go at mixing stuff for them, get in touch. Got shit all to do for the summer.

Archived