Just read the post about the necks not being made by Hugh. This isnt a bad thing my birsd eye maple neck by sims is probably one of the best necks I've ever played. I'd agree with many people here that although the price is fair you would expect the hugh finish.

(sims has worked with the likes of steve vai so fair to say the necks are damn good)

As for Alder I'm suprised so many people are weary of it. If anything Alder is the same or sometimes better than mahogany. General rule is if you want a brighter tone and a slightly lighter guitar and a lighter grain go for Alder but if you dont mind the extra weight and prefer the darker grain and tone go for mahogany other than that there is no real difference. I personally prefer mahogany for its looks and the deeper darker tone although harder to rout hence extra cost.

I personally hate poplar its basically MDF of the guitar world and used to reduce weight and be easy to rout routing mahogany to fit complex wiring is a nightmare. XY pad plus sustainer boards its going to be weighty.

I'm guessing people will have to buy a kaoss pad to actually use the XY pads thats another 100-200?

It's really great that Hugh is doing this but you do have to consider what you could get custom for 3k-4k.

Sustainer 200

Fitting 200

Pickup mbk2 100

xy pad 300 (just a pad with wiring no actual fx and no FF)

That leaves 3000 for the body neck and finish my whole mirror hybrid cost just over half of that. Minus 300 for a mirror finish/scratch that's 2700 for a mahogany body/Alder and neck. A good neck and body will cost 600ish.

I know having manson on the headstock is the key thing people want but seriously consider what other customs you could have made 2700 could get you a very sweet body and neck with any finish you want plus extras/kaoss pad.

How much is the brand name worth to you? 2000 pound? (not hand made by hugh)

Worth serious consideration.

Matt's guitars were so awsome because they were custom anything made to look the same by Hugh will be just that a replica. Get your own custom and you not only get a great looking guitar but its also your own guitar that no one else will ever have.

Having said all that though if a perfect replica of a M1D1or bomber came out for say 3500 I'd go for it.

Just read the post about the necks not being made by Hugh. This isnt a bad thing my birsd eye maple neck by sims is probably one of the best necks I've ever played. I'd agree with many people here that although the price is fair you would expect the hugh finish.

(sims has worked with the likes of steve vai so fair to say the necks are damn good)

As for Alder I'm suprised so many people are weary of it. If anything Alder is the same or sometimes better than mahogany. General rule is if you want a brighter tone and a slightly lighter guitar and a lighter grain go for Alder but if you dont mind the extra weight and prefer the darker grain and tone go for mahogany other than that there is no real difference. I personally prefer mahogany for its looks and the deeper darker tone although harder to rout hence extra cost.

I personally hate poplar its basically MDF of the guitar world and used to reduce weight and be easy to rout routing mahogany to fit complex wiring is a nightmare. XY pad plus sustainer boards its going to be weighty.

I'm guessing people will have to buy a kaoss pad to actually use the XY pads thats another 100-200?

It's really great that Hugh is doing this but you do have to consider what you could get custom for 3k-4k.

Sustainer 200

Fitting 200

Pickup mbk2 100

xy pad 300 (just a pad with wiring no actual fx and no FF)

That leaves 3000 for the body neck and finish my whole mirror hybrid cost just over half of that. Minus 300 for a mirror finish/scratch that's 2700 for a mahogany body/Alder and neck. A good neck and body will cost 600ish.

I know having manson on the headstock is the key thing people want but seriously consider what other customs you could have made 2700 could get you a very sweet body and neck with any finish you want plus extras/kaoss pad.

How much is the brand name worth to you? 2000 pound? (not hand made by hugh)

Worth serious consideration.

Matt's guitars were so awsome because they were custom anything made to look the same by Hugh will be just that a replica. Get your own custom and you not only get a great looking guitar but its also your own guitar that no one else will ever have.

Having said all that though if a perfect replica of a M1D1or bomber came out for say 3500 I'd go for it.

The second half of your post I agree with, but the bits about mahogany being harder to route? If you're using a decent router with quality bits then it's not going to matter what wood you're using, it's gonna go through it easy unless it's full of knots.

Also the bit about guitars being full of circuit boards, In my experience, the more wood you take out for cavities, no matter how many many circuits you could cram in there, the wood is always going to weigh more than the wiring!

Why are people bitching about the price? Look at the estimated costs for Matt's ones for a start.

Also price has no reflection on the materials or work that has gone into it in any industry, there's few industries where businesses can sustain themselves on tight margins as it is far too much of a risk.

the price is pretty much what i'd expect if the guitar was being completely built by hugh/mansons and had unlimited options on the spec. i just think when necks etc are being made elsewhere and you can't choose the finish, the wood, the pickups, the scale, the neck profile, the fret size, the control layout etc. it's a high price.

the price is pretty much what i'd expect if the guitar was being completely built by hugh/mansons and had unlimited options on the spec. i just think when necks etc are being made elsewhere and you can't choose the finish, the wood, the pickups, the scale, the neck profile, the fret size, the control layout etc. it's a high price.

True, but Manson's custom jobs are still available, I imagine this is just exploiting the over obsessed fans desperate to get their hands on a copy of Matt's guitar, signature guitars are traditionally highly priced for what they are in reality.

i got a reply to an email from when i was discussing with mansons about the guitar i bought :wtf:

"Thank you for your inquiry regarding custom Manson Guitars as used by Matthew Bellamy from Muse – as this is a group mail out, your inquiry may have been from many months ago. Further to your request regarding custom models we would refer you to this link on our website."

Fairs about it being a group mail out, but somehow this email from someone else got included....

Sent: 11 April 2009 21:16

To: Mansons Guitar Shop

Subject: Question for Mr. Manson...

Hi,

I know that this is an odd question, but I was wondering what technique Mr. Manson used to get the glitter effect on Matt Bellamy's Red Mason Glitterati? No one can ever give me a good answer on this and seeing how I am attempting to build my own guitar, I figured I would make an attempt to get an answer right from the source. Thank you for your time.

It all makes sense now....

i got a reply to an email from when i was discussing with mansons about the guitar i bought :wtf:

"Thank you for your inquiry regarding custom Manson Guitars as used by Matthew Bellamy from Muse – as this is a group mail out, your inquiry may have been from many months ago. Further to your request regarding custom models we would refer you to this link on our website."

Fairs about it being a group mail out, but somehow this email from someone else got included....

It all makes sense now....

That would have been me. Lol, my question about the manson guitar show.

i would presume the bodies are all being machined as there is no option on body wood or conntols/layout which would suggest they are being done in batches to the same spec. i would imagine mansons will just be spraying them assembling and wiring them up. all that being said i would have ordered one already if i had £3500 laying around. in red glitter definitely.

Anyways, I don't think the replica builders are going to throw in the towel if the authentic MoCs cost this much.

the only reason i built my own as they wern't avaible at the time, even thou i love my guitars they are far from perfect.... i'm very tempted as they look sexy as fuck :D

Does Manson play the List Price Vs. Street Price game or are the prices on the website what you pay?

After looking at the whole thread I'm starting to wonder if Hugh didn't decide to offer these in order to save his staff the bother of answering all the phone calls from people who were curious about Matt's guitars. This solves that problem and offers an additional revenue stream from the customers who are serious about getting one, which is probably one in one-hundred.

JT

i dunno about that, i doubt matt is that bothered about a couple hundred pounds here and there...

yeah fair go but with that in mind...i dont think he'd be as fussed about other 'mattocasters' as manson/everyone makes out

MEH

you wouldn't think so, no. i don't get it myself. i reckon it's more down to hugh not wanting to make loads of the same thing. now he's got another system in place so he doesn't actually have to do that much of the building he's willing to do it, who knows. I'd like to have a good chat with him about it.

sorry if some1 already made this point- its no difference to any other manson custom guitar is it? except now you can get the kp mod and the mattocaster shape. In reality, its just like getting a custom (at near custom) price, without being about to choose what you actually want. I mean their quoting 6 months to make a guitar, which, have no variation from each other, which basically means it shouldnt really take that long to make.

http://mansons.co.uk/shopping/categories/manson-electric-guitars/

i'd much rather have the first two, because some actuall thought has gone in to it and the finish is much much nicer. Much more like a custom instrument, at a much fairer price

sorry if some1 already made this point- its no difference to any other manson custom guitar is it? except now you can get the kp mod and the mattocaster shape. In reality, its just like getting a custom (at near custom) price, without being about to choose what you actually want. I mean their quoting 6 months to make a guitar, which, have no variation from each other, which basically means it shouldnt really take that long to make.

http://mansons.co.uk/shopping/categories/manson-electric-guitars/

i'd much rather have the first two, because some actuall thought has gone in to it and the finish is much much nicer. Much more like a custom instrument, at a much fairer price

the difference is the necks aren't made by manson not sure bout the bodies, but i'd imagine they are all machine cut, hence the lack of options, and it's only taking 2-3 months to make. and yes, very limited choice. It would be nice if they left you do what you wanted with the shape, otherwise it may as well be an off the shelf guitar.

the difference is the necks aren't made by manson not sure bout the bodies, but i'd imagine they are all machine cut, hence the lack of options, and it's only taking 2-3 months to make. and yes, very limited choice. It would be nice if they left you do what you wanted with the shape, otherwise it may as well be an off the shelf guitar.

yehh and admittedly, the 2 teles which are on the site, were premade, but i tried the quilt maple one at the manson guitar show, and i cant imagine, even if i had chosen custom prefrences that it would have played better than that!

Im gonna keep mine would be nice to have a alu body guitar im sure they sound fantastic but looking at whats going on there not a manson custom there a produced guitar body and neck. Yeah manson are good at the electrics and finish but it's still not a proper hand built guitar.

hmmm... i wonder what a carbon fiber body would sound like... i know they make carbon fiber cellos, violins, double bass' etc for something to do with the resonance... but if they make those instruments, a guitar could sound class too...

Archived