How good do you think that this song will be?  

105 members have voted

1. 1. How good do you think that this song will be?

• Awesome!!!
    • Pretty Good.
    • Average.
    • Horrible.

It really does put across the idea that something is ending (be it the album/life on earth/life on another planet I dunno, just something coming to an end) and it makes me want to cry :(

The entire song is basically a prophecy for the future of the human race.

Then maybe it's just me :( I haven't paid attention to the lyrics as much as I should yet, I've been too overwhelmed by it all :LOL: But it's a good end to the album.

That's just my interpretation of course! That's how I like to view it, you may be right as well!

What matt had to say about Exogenesis (from the notes from the iTunes LP)

"This song is influenced by Rachmaninov, Richard Strauss, Chopin and Pink Floyd. It looks at the concept of 'Panspermia'. It is a story of humanity coming to an end and everyone pinning their hopes on a group of astronauts who go out to explore space and spread humanity to another planet. Part I is a jaded acceptance that civilisation will end. Part 2 is a desperate hope that sending the astronauts to find and populate other planets will be successful alongside the recognition that this is the last hope. Finally, Part 3 is when the astronauts realise that it is just one big cycle, and recognise that unless humanity can change it will happen all over again."

What matt had to say about Exogenesis (from the notes from the iTunes LP)

"This song is influenced by Rachmaninov, Richard Strauss, Chopin and Pink Floyd. It looks at the concept of 'Panspermia'. It is a story of humanity coming to an end and everyone pinning their hopes on a group of astronauts who go out to explore space and spread humanity to another planet. Part I is a jaded acceptance that civilisation will end. Part 2 is a desperate hope that sending the astronauts to find and populate other planets will be successful alongside the recognition that this is the last hope. Finally, Part 3 is when the astronauts realise that it is just one big cycle, and recognise that unless humanity can change it will happen all over again."

Yup, and Rachmaninov is my best mate. Loves it!

I'll be honest, I waited a long time for this track and when i put on my expensive headphones and listened to it for the first time was bloody blown away.

The classical influences are amazing, i'm especially liking the Listz inspired opening to Part III (Just listen to Liebestraum No.3 and you'll see what i mean)

Well done Muse, now, play it live in november and make me the happiest man in the universe :D

I've been listening to ExoGenesis for most of the last 2 days and feel that this could easily have been double the length and still capture my attention!

Do you think it's plausible that on the next album or a Bellamy solo project, he/they'll go for it completely and give us a fully functioning symphony?

I love ExoGenesis of course, but I do believe it could've been more than what it is :yesey:

EDIT: It's also possible that Exo will evolve live when/if it's ever played :happy:

This is absolutly awesome! But I don't agree with the people that thinks it is the "best thing Muse have ever done by far".

It is possibly tied best, but I can't agree that it beats massively Citizen Erased. Also, Hoodoo orchestra stuff is very similar and just as good.

All in all though, it is awesome - very good - only thing is its made me realise why classical symphonys in 3 movements are usually longer than 4 minutes per movement: When you have to build up mood etc. you often need longer, but I think on a rock album 4 minutes is a good length.

The 1st movement is exactly what I expected from Muse - dark sounding string arpeggios. The 2nd has a cool dark bit too. The 3rd is very nice sounding, and reminds me some bits of Chopin, and some of Rachmaninov.

What does every one else think?

I think that would be all too much. Part of what I love about Exogenesis is the fact that on an album that has a bit of everything, it somehow fits right in. But I'd like to see something similar in future, in a different way of course. A many-part song, with symphonic sections and rock sections, spaced out across an album, separated by other interesting experiments, would be pretty cool...

I didn't think that Cross-Pollination is dark at any point... I feel that Part I is extremely dark, Part II is refreshingly positive, and Part III is dark again, but on a more intimate level.

I wouldn't say it's the best thing Muse have done by far, as it isn't even my favourite part of the album. :p However, it's a welcome experimentation, and stands up there with other Muse classics.

Archived