Just a heads up. We might release another track from the album tomorrow. It's the heaviest thing we've ever done, and in my opinion it has the best chorus of any of our songs.

edit:

Aaaaand it's up!

[soundcloud]https://soundcloud.com/maratonband/altered-state[/soundcloud]

Great song! What kind of chords you using for the chorus? I might hear it wrong but aren't those jazz chords?

Great song! What kind of chords you using for the chorus? I might hear it wrong but aren't those jazz chords?

I like to base all my choruses on very basic chords like straight up major/minor chords, but when we record I always fuck with the voicing. I think the voicing shoud be correct, but I don't have a guitar in front of me. I'll just post the tabs in the very basic order the chords are played:

0--0--0---0--0--0--0
3--0--7---0--0--0--0
0--5--0--12--5--7--8
4--7--5---0--0--0--0
5--0--7---9--3--5--7
5--0--7--10--5--7--8

I use this style of voicing for most of the record, even though they're pretty bog standard bar some open strings For some reason I find them more "visually" pleasing than their standard counterparts :LOL:

Just a heads up. We might release another track from the album tomorrow. It's the heaviest thing we've ever done, and in my opinion it has the best chorus of any of our songs.

edit:

Aaaaand it's up!

[soundcloud]https://soundcloud.com/maratonband/altered-state[/soundcloud]

Great stuff. Impeccable production and the "this was never meant for you and I" bit is a particularly good vocal melody. I still think the best song you've posted is Change of Skin, especially because of the off-kilter riffs and the slightly dissonant tone of the chorus. ::D

I posted some tracks on here a while back, and I've just made a new instrumental song:

[soundcloud]

[/soundcloud]

What do you guys think? It's all done from my keyboard so apologies if the guitars/strings/drums etc sound a bit rubbish - but I'm very happy with the chord progressions and melodies I've come up with, especially in the second half. It's my most technical song yet. :)

• 2 weeks later...

I appear to have done a good job of killing off this thread, :$ but anyway - got another song up! Definitely my "rockiest" so far, especially from 1:40 onwards, plus some dissonant stuff and weird melodies, more of a focus on little details for atmosphere. Usual timing issues, though.

[soundcloud]

[/soundcloud]

As ever, I'm very grateful for any feedback :)

Edited by Unidentifiable

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Lel its the vocals.:p

So strange getting Paramore comparisons. It helped us secure the gig next year but vocalist aside, were all inspired by other bands like A Perfect Circle, Alexisonfire and Deftones. Mind you, we may be back to a male singer soon.

Edited by Crowella

Lel its the vocals.:p

So strange getting Paramore comparisons. It helped us secure the gig next year but vocalist aside, were all inspired by other bands like A Perfect Circle, Alexisonfire and Deftones. Mind you, we may be back to a male singer soon.

Is your current singer aware of this :LOL:

Threw my stuff I wrote on Soundcloud, because why the hell not. The timing is shoddy, and none of the songs are really finished but it gives a good idea of what to expect.

Nothing but Strangers is the latest idea I've had, there's a wrong guitar note somewhere in the intro, but it's a first try that I felt like uploading. It's all home recorded on my own, and the drums are just played over it afterwards. Only need to find a good bassist and then I can really start getting it right and ready for live play.

• 3 weeks later...