Thats why Im going to buy a drum kit. Im into Radiohead style electronics but at the same time both Radiohead and Muse's more rockier songs that just dont warrant the use of MIDI Drums, over EQ'd random instrument finds.

I want to do some vocoder work but I cant find any decent programs online, does anyone know of any?

I think itd be worth looking into a micrkorg if your really interested in snyths and electronic music in general. Theyre a HELL of a lot of fun to use, and sounds pretty awesome when put into fruity loops.

I just like to do my own stuff :(

So do I, a lot of stuff I'm doing at the moment uses samples of acoustic kits, making a loop of it (Which I can edit the tempo of in Ableton, Cubase, Pro Tools) and going all IDM on it's ass in Ableton :D

if your interested in synths as well as vocoders, you could always get a microkorg.

The vocoder on that is dreadful.

So do I, a lot of stuff I'm doing at the moment uses samples of acoustic kits, making a loop of it (Which I can edit the tempo of in Ableton, Cubase, Pro Tools) and going all IDM on it's ass in Ableton :D

The vocoder on that is dreadful.

True. It's nigh-on impossible to get anything usable out of it but luckily I'm a fucking genius :cool:.

Using a proper mic helps but setting levels/gates/sensitivities is a right bastard and it generally sounds shite in the first place!

I disagree. It's nowhere near as intuitive as the synth side and the stock mic is awful... Even more so live!

Fair dos, i respect your opinion. Its just that I think its good enough if hes only wanting to play around. Sure, its EPICLY hard to dial in a sound, but if he wants to be getting into the epic vocoders, he can always get some software at a later point, with the experience hes got from the micrkorg. If he did move on from it, hes still got the synth side of the microkorg, and could always use it as a MIDI keyboard.

Do you not agree with the micrkorg not being a wise choice for him?

:stunned:

too much stuff going on!

It's a lot simpler than it sounds! I mostly tend to use emulations of old drum machines, but my sampler has tons of acoustic drum samples, so creating the initial loop is piss easy, then you do this:

9lOzMWGBOH4

But it gets way more complex than that :D

True. It's nigh-on impossible to get anything usable out of it but luckily I'm a fucking genius :cool:.

Using a proper mic helps but setting levels/gates/sensitivities is a right bastard and it generally sounds shite in the first place!

I'm not sure if it even works the same way a proper vocoder would, more audio in carrier signal from what I remember.

Fair dos, i respect your opinion. Its just that I think its good enough if hes only wanting to play around. Sure, its EPICLY hard to dial in a sound, but if he wants to be getting into the epic vocoders, he can always get some software at a later point, with the experience hes got from the micrkorg. If he did move on from it, hes still got the synth side of the microkorg, and could always use it as a MIDI keyboard.

Do you not agree with the micrkorg not being a wise choice for him?

It's a good start (although it'd always be better to get something more knobby), he just shouldn't expect too much from the vocoder...

After initial experimentation, I didn't bother with it until I had to several years later (live translation of a cubase vst) as it's still a pain in the arse!

Heated Microkorg debate in Kit & Tab :D

:D

I'm not sure if it even works the same way a proper vocoder would, more audio in carrier signal from what I remember.

Nah I think the pure vocoder setup is pretty standard, it just only uses eight bands whereas the hardware it's based on used twenty (VC-10)!

I kind of made this electro-ep thing, nothing special, needs some vocodered vocals of which I'll have to do at a later date. Most of the synth is from Fruity Loops, some from my X5, some Fruity Loop Drum Samples and some from the school kit EQ'd and messed around with. Its dead short (Just over 12 minutes) and has 6 tracks;

1. Brake Slam/Gratitude

2. Some Pretty Flowers

3. Cycle

4. The Coast/Prelude

5. Waves

6. 1st Movement (BONUS CHIP MUSIC TRACK)

The song names are purely based on what was happening at the time around me. Most of them are made up of parts of Acoustic songs of mine, made electronic to mess around with beats. Brake Slam is purely new, and is the best one on there.

1st Movement is my first attempt at chip music, combined with an acoustic kit and weird beats around my house.

Its going on myspace tomorrow, vocoder/vocal-less so it'll sound a little empty, but nonetheless I'd want some criticism from you guys, you seem to have a good idea of how to change and develop things.

speaking of vocoders, someone recommend me one for mac? to use with cubase....midi controllable etc

Cubase comes with one?

Otherwise, try the TAL one, though I'm having issues getting their VSTs to work on a Mac even though they should.

Cubase comes with one?

Otherwise, try the TAL one, though I'm having issues getting their VSTs to work on a Mac even though they should.

not on my cubase...is cubase 4 essential, which says it all, really :(

if you have the file in your cubase package, try sendy?:p