had to cancel the manchester academy gig - we had lots of people WANTING tickets...but no one committed to buying! haha

Couldnt risk it paying £175...

Instead we're getting a gig in Mancland which WONT be pay to play.

Before you book one, my band (spyglass) yours and Aura should probably try and sort something out, playing together wise. It would work, and be quite cool at the same time.

Where abouts is mancland?

Manchester

Before you book one, my band (spyglass) yours and Aura should probably try and sort something out, playing together wise. It would work, and be quite cool at the same time.

Were gonna get a gig in manchester with Aura as theyre from manchester themselves and weve gigged with them before.

Speak to iwantamanson whos gonna try and book us a gig, see if he can get us three on the same bill!

Manchester

Were gonna get a gig in manchester with Aura as theyre from manchester themselves and weve gigged with them before.

Speak to iwantamanson whos gonna try and book us a gig, see if he can get us three on the same bill!

Yeah i know who he is lol, id rather we didn't go through vman or someone as shit/cuntish as they are if we did one together though.

had to cancel the manchester academy gig - we had lots of people WANTING tickets...but no one committed to buying! haha

Couldnt risk it paying £175...

Instead we're getting a gig in Mancland which WONT be pay to play.

That's shit, i'm sorry, I would have committed.

I didn't know it was pay to play. We would never pay to play, it's an appaulling business tactic. I'll speak to Steve later and find out the best venues. I used to like "The Attic" just off Oxford road, don't know if it's there anymore.

That's shit, i'm sorry, I would have committed.

I didn't know it was pay to play. We would never pay to play, it's an appaulling business tactic. I'll speak to Steve later and find out the best venues. I used to like "The Attic" just off Oxford road, don't know if it's there anymore.

yup, agreed... its a bit unfair and kinda greedy of them

When we played at the Fiddler's Elbow, they said they would ask the people who turned up which band they had come to see. If at least 25 say us, then we get another gig. You get paid on the basis of how many turn up. That seems the most fair and most reasonable way to do it.

Just spoke to the organiser (cuz i didnt know what we were meant to do with our gear when were camping! - turns out you just lock it in your car!) lol

And he told me that the early bird tickets are expected to sell out this week (which will mean the prices will go up!)

So if you are coming, and haven't yet got your tickets, NOW is the time to do so!

http://www.glastonbudget.net/supportyourband?band=Industry

I find the fairest way is by how much/how long you play.

WTF does that mean?

If you're going to say £1/minute on stage, that's clearly rediculous. Headliners get paid more because they bring more people, not because they play a longer set.

When we played at the Fiddler's Elbow, they said they would ask the people who turned up which band they had come to see. If at least 25 say us, then we get another gig. You get paid on the basis of how many turn up. That seems the most fair and most reasonable way to do it.

It is the fairest but it's still a scam - as far as they're concerned you're there to line their pockets and that's it!

I'd much rather play somewhere for free if it meant our fans/friends/etc aren't getting shafted on the cover charge and some cunt who doesn't give a shit about our music doesn't make any money from it.

There is next to no real promotion for these kind of shows and you're unlikely to gain any fans, so they're a bit pointless for most bands in my opinion!

Obviously if you have a decent following and can draw a crowd then it might be worth it financially but if you're at that stage, I'd have thought you'd be better off doing your own shows...

WTF does that mean?

If you're going to say £1/minute on stage, that's clearly rediculous. Headliners get paid more because they bring more people, not because they play a longer set.

That kind of depends on the arrangement - if you're there as hired entertainment, longer set(s) = more money...

It is the fairest but it's still a scam - as far as they're concerned you're there to line their pockets and that's it!

I'd much rather play somewhere for free if it meant our fans/friends/etc aren't getting shafted on the cover charge and some cunt who doesn't give a shit about our music doesn't make any money from it.

There is next to no real promotion for these kind of shows and you're unlikely to gain any fans, so they're a bit pointless for most bands in my opinion!

Obviously if you have a decent following and can draw a crowd then it might be worth it financially but if you're at that stage, I'd have thought you'd be better off doing your own shows...

I don't think it's a scam. It's not as though they pretend they're going to promote the gig. They might be reffered to as a promoter, but all they're actually doing is organising the night. If you don't bring 25 people, they don't put you on again. It seems fair enough, why would they if you're not going to make them any money? They might as well just have a standard pub night and make some more money. The fact is, they're making an effort to put original bands on, so they do care about the music (a little).

You can gain fans by gigging a lot in the same city. For example, we played a lot in Manchester in 2007, probably 50 odd, and we found that the same people would turn up at different venues and come and talk to us after gigs etc.

That kind of depends on the arrangement - if you're there as hired entertainment, longer set(s) = more money...

But you would normally give the longer sets to the most popular acts...

I know what you mean if you're talking about DJ sets or corporate gigs etc, but when it comes to rock gigs, the headline act are there to pull a crowd and the promoter doesn't give a shit if they only want to play for 45mins the same as the support band who get paid half as much.

I don't think it's a scam. It's not as though they pretend they're going to promote the gig. They might be reffered to as a promoter, but all they're actually doing is organising the night. If you don't bring 25 people, they don't put you on again. It seems fair enough, why would they if you're not going to make them any money? They might as well just have a standard pub night and make some more money. The fact is, they're making an effort to put original bands on, so they do care about the music (a little).

You can gain fans by gigging a lot in the same city. For example, we played a lot in Manchester in 2007, probably 50 odd, and we found that the same people would turn up at different venues and come and talk to us after gigs etc.

I don't know, there tends to be a lot of 'look at all we're doing for you, you better not let us down', when in fact all they've done is put a poster up outside the venue... I wouldn't mind except they're often charging £5/6 on the door, which to me is ridiculous given the complete lack of effort put into the night and the general mish-mash of genres these things entail!

I just think it's a flawed system for everyone for everyone except the promoter - the band gets little to no money and no real exposure, the punters get ripped off and the bar doesn't make a lot because there's no drop-in trade and everyone fucks off after 'their' band!

Much better to run things as a club and theme the night properly - that way punters will stick around which is ultimately good for everyone... Oh but it entails a lot more effort from the promoter ;)

You are right of course about gigging a lot in the same place but I don't think the multi-band venues will work for most people. There are plenty of pubs/bars/clubs that will put you on for no money :LOL:

But you would normally give the longer sets to the most popular acts...

I know what you mean if you're talking about DJ sets or corporate gigs etc, but when it comes to rock gigs, the headline act are there to pull a crowd and the promoter doesn't give a shit if they only want to play for 45mins the same as the support band who get paid half as much.

Yeah of course!

I meant purely as you say corporate/private/etc gigs but having said that, we've been asked about playing at my local working men's club (it would be open to the public) and they offered us £400-500. For three hours :LOL:

I said what if we got a couple of bands on and made an evening of it?

We shall see :eyebrows:

Edit: I think the fairest way of paying bands is a % of the bar and amusingly enough it cuts out promoters :awesome:

You've got to remember the promoter is doing this for a job, not for fun. So if you aren't going to be making him any money it's not really worth it from his perspective.

If the promoter can't be bothered to promote the gig properly, that promoter is in the wrong job, it's not the bands' problem.

Gigs in cities are just stupid. £5+ for bands you've probably never heard of? I wouldn't bother, nor does anyone else :LOL:

If the promoter can't be bothered to promote the gig properly, that promoter is in the wrong job, it's not the bands' problem.

Gigs in cities are just stupid. £5+ for bands you've probably never heard of? I wouldn't bother, nor does anyone else :LOL:

Yeah that's the problem. Promoters do try to make the easy money and blow it from them selves because punters don't want to pay that kind of money to random bands, you're right. But at the same time you can't expect promoters to put the money forward and organise things at a venue without expecting a half decent return.

I think the point about entry price is fair, it does deter possible "drop in" punters.

Yes, we would all love for things to be the way they were in the 70s with promoters actually putting loads of effort into putting on gigs. No, it's not going to happen!

I wasn't saying I think the current system and/or the system at the Fiddler's Elbow is perfect, it just seems the fairest considering all the shit venues/promoters we've played for.

I think the kind of gigs Jon's talking about are the way forward (not working men's clubs!). Well promoted actual gig nights that feel like an event, rather than a pub casually putting bands on in the middle of the week and charging a fiver.

You've got to remember the promoter is doing this for a job, not for fun. So if you aren't going to be making him any money it's not really worth it from his perspective.

No of course but if any other business put in as little effort as some of these guys, it wouldn't last very long.

The difference here is all the bands providing them with free goods to sell!

Exactly. The only way people get anyone new along is when friends bring friends and even then there's no guarantee that they'll like it...

Yeah that's the problem. Promoters do try to make the easy money and blow it from them selves because punters don't want to pay that kind of money to random bands, you're right. But at the same time you can't expect promoters to put the money forward and organise things at a venue without expecting a half decent return.

That's the thing though - a lot of these gigs are very regular and basically take no organising other than booking the bands!

I'm struggling to come up with an equivalent situation in which the supplier only gets paid if the shop sells enough to pay utilities/rent/wages first!