I've been listening to Monty's band, and the_man's band in the car. Musically, I quite like what both bands are trying to do, but production wise, the_man is a clear winner. I thought you worked in a studio Monty?

the_man - I really like your music man! I have some opinions on your mix/master if you want them? I'd love to produce your band.

I've been listening to Monty's band, and the_man's band in the car. Musically, I quite like what both bands are trying to do, but production wise, the_man is a clear winner. I thought you worked in a studio Monty?

the_man - I really like your music man! I have some opinions on your mix/master if you want them? I'd love to produce your band.

yeah sure certainly.. all criticism is definitely welcome as long as its useful!! (especially mix wise, as 9 times out of ten its me doing the mixing)

we only recorded the vocals in a studio since these were just rough demos. I recorded the guitars at home using my recto pre. I programmed the drums since we dont have a drummer. Honestly they sound damn considering how many loopholes I took. Also the singer didn't do a very good job at the final mix of all the instruments, I had him correct the drums volumes a few times because he kept mixing them so damn low.

thanks for the comments though.

Ahhhh, I thought you'd mixed it! Vocalists won't be able to mix their own tracks IMO. You should get the data off him and re-do it.

yeah sure certainly.. all criticism is definitely welcome as long as its useful!! (especially mix wise, as 9 times out of ten its me doing the mixing)

Cool, well here goes:

Coercion: Is the title spelt right? :-p The starting sounds really good, then it kicks into the chorusy type bit, but the drums don't kick in with the rest of it. It sounds like you have tried to do some stuff - more reverb on the snare? Stereo width on the kick drum? I would try some overdrive on the snare, or just compression if you don't like the distortion. Same with the kick really, just try to force some more level out of it 'cos at the moment they're not really driving the song like they should be. This is only for the chorus/heavier bits though.

The other thing is the vocals. Are they doubled or just copied and moved/chorused? Do you think there are some phasing issues? If not I would add a lot more compression, and think about some distortion 'cos the vocal sound is what makes it sound like a demo IMO.

I really like the song - it's quite like oceansize

Erasure: This kicks in really well. The vocals aren't as bad sound wise, but it sounds like you could be getting more of a performance out of him. This is another part of being a producer remember! You need to subtly turn down the mix in his headphones, give him motivation through the talkback etc.

The kick, snare, and toms are all kinda getting lost in the chorus, which is weird because the chorus really drops out.

In the 2nd half of the 2nd chorus, the guitars come in louder, and extra layer I presume? This is what all the chorus' should sound like, at the start. If you want to kick it up after half of the chorus, just add an extra layer ontop of that. It really drops from the verse where the synths are there right across the stereo width at the moment.

Glitch: This is really good, but there needs to be more dynamics between the verse and chorus. I think it's in the drum sound again. It should go from the cool electronic vibe you have at the moment, and kick into an acoustic kit playing a strong beat. That's not really a mix opinion though. The mix is pretty much spot on really.

I won't bother commenting on the rest, because I think these are all kind of general points.

The bass isn't great in my car, and I was going to say it needed to go up overall, but listening on headphones, I think there's maybe just a bit of mastering missing. Do you have the C4 compressor? You can bypass the other bands and have really tight control on your low end. I've found this really useful recently.

Let me know when you have a midlands gig! I really like the stuff!!

well thanks a lot for the pointers, and yes youre totally right about the erasure chorus, i did 2 guitar tracks for the first parts, but then bought in about 6 or something for the second half.. did want the second part to sound heavier and all, but didnt want the first to sound thin, so ill look at that.

and yes, good idea for the coercion drums too, ill look into making them a bit more raw in the chorus, as i think thats probably whats missing (we did that one quite a while back, its being worked on atm actually). cheers for the feedback :)

I know we don't sound like Muse anymore, but you should still listen.

New song here: http://uhort.no/data/file/file_25990.mp3

or here http://www.myspace.com/myronline

It's called Pseudo Ocular.

You say not sounding like muse like its a bad thing? Anyhow it sounds pretty awesome. But it does feel like it drags on for a bit with the main riff. You can only repeat the same thing over and over before people lose interest as I've learnt.

You say not sounding like muse like its a bad thing? Anyhow it sounds pretty awesome. But it does feel like it drags on for a bit with the main riff. You can only repeat the same thing over and over before people lose interest as I've learnt.

No no, Muse are good.

Anyway, all our songs are so full of different parts and whatnot, so we decided to make this really simple, with one catchy main riff all the way through.

No no, Muse are good.

Anyway, all our songs are so full of different parts and whatnot, so we decided to make this really simple, with one catchy main riff all the way through.

Ahh I see. It sounds good don't get me wrong but I did start to lose interest quickly, I didn't make it to the end of the song :$

That's why you have to develop the main riff - if you keep on adding new riffs it gets just as boring if you don't go about it in the right way.

That's why you have to develop the main riff - if you keep on adding new riffs it gets just as boring if you don't go about it in the right way.

I don't agree at all, but this song is really short, so it can afford to be repetitive. I think it's varied enough for a three minute song.

Yep true. But there also has to be a bit more to a riff then it repeating over and over. Such as subtle changes with it to keep people hooked.

I don't agree at all, but this song is really short, so it can afford to be repetitive. I think it's varied enough for a three minute song.

I'd disagree there entirely because no matter how short a song is people can still get bored of it because of to much repetiveness.

I'd disagree there entirely because no matter how short a song is people can still get bored of it because of to much repetiveness.

Haha, you'd hate Halleluhwah by Can. It goes on for 18 minutes and only has one bass line throughout. I don't find it remotely boring.

That may be, but I think this song is varied enough within it's own realm to not be be repetitive in a bad sense. I'm a bit tired of making huge epic songs, and I wanted something more 'electronic' and hypnotic.

I'm not having a go I'm just saying subtle little changes make the difference. A few notes here and there can always give it a boost.

Developing something would just mean altering it slightly, changing instruments around, halving the tempo and adding something else over the top etc... the possibilities are endless, and you can always add other ideas. I'm just saying that if you keep on adding new ideas without exploring them enough, it gets boring.

Haha, you'd hate Halleluhwah by Can. It goes on for 18 minutes and only has one bass line throughout. I don't find it remotely boring.

:LOL: well I like porcupine tree 17 min long trek. But it breaks up into five separate parts making it more interesting. Plus it all depends how lyrics are used in a song. Stuff that's all instrumental can get dull.

I'm not having a go I'm just saying subtle little changes make the difference. A few notes here and there can always give it a boost.

I know, I'm just saying that we made this song the way it is with the highest of intentions. If you want changing riffs and whatnot, subtle or not, listen to our old stuff. This is a simple pop song with a hypnotic quality to it.