Erroneous! You're on about the new song yeh? I shall review that with your thoughts in mind.

I downloaded all the available songs of 3rd storey chemist on the myspace, and put them on a cd in the car. I've listened to it twice all the way through, and it's pretty cool. I wonder if you wrote the peices as songs waiting for vocals, or as instrumental peices? What I would say is (bearing in mind i'm being totally honest)

The sound is cool, that's obviously your strong point.

Some of the riffs, synth parts, and basslines are cool, but this is your weak point - there aren't enough of them. You need to bring more ideas into the songs, have more ideas going at once, rather than seperating them into sections. And you should take time to arrange your songs. Demo them, and cut them up on the computer into sections, then cut all the sections in half and play around with the arrangement. Basically, the tracks are way too long for the amount of interesting musical content that's in them.

The main thing I hear in your music is potential, and that's obviously a grweat thing to have!

fair comments there :)

it's pretty much just me writing everything, i'm still learning alot!

fair comments there :)

it's pretty much just me writing everything, i'm still learning alot!

I think arrangement is one of the most important things to get your head around, and it's also difficult to do, taking out bits you like and etc. If you start writing with other people, you might learn faster? You obviously have some cool ideas though.

Sam - I'm listening to your stuff now. Your mum said it was shit, but it's not so bad! They're all the same kind of thing though, are you going to do anything more upbeat?

If you want to sell your music, I would work on your vocal (if it's you?), and try to get it more upfront in the mix sometimes, otherwise it will be hard to draw the listener in. I don't mean change the style, but, change it up a bit, variation in sounds, as well as musical content can help to give an arrangement and structure.

For example, I just listened to the "I want out" but only to 2.13 'cos it sounded like the same loop over and over.

The drum sound on "heat" is utter wank i'm afraid!

I think arrangement is one of the most important things to get your head around, and it's also difficult to do, taking out bits you like and etc. If you start writing with other people, you might learn faster? You obviously have some cool ideas though.

Sam - I'm listening to your stuff now. Your mum said it was shit, but it's not so bad! They're all the same kind of thing though, are you going to do anything more upbeat?

If you want to sell your music, I would work on your vocal (if it's you?), and try to get it more upfront in the mix sometimes, otherwise it will be hard to draw the listener in. I don't mean change the style, but, change it up a bit, variation in sounds, as well as musical content can help to give an arrangement and structure.

For example, I just listened to the "I want out" but only to 2.13 'cos it sounded like the same loop over and over.

The drum sound on "heat" is utter wank i'm afraid!

Cheers tom :) Yeah thing is about the tracks there is they're the only ones I've managed to finish in some sort of way. I have a lot of upbeat/acoustic and almost metal tracks but my drummer can't keep up with tempo or hold the song.

I've been meaning to change things around but every time I do it seems to either make the arrangements seem to small or make them sound out of place. The heat track was kinda thrown together in a practice and recorded in a really bad way. The only thing that we got out of it that was good was my guitar parts and the bassists rather catchy bass line. As for the I want out its still getting vocals written so its gonna sound like its going over and over until the vocals are in place. btw I don't do singing coz I don't have teh bawls.

But yeah I will have newer tracks up soon that are alot more rock inspired and alot more upbeat.

Cheers Tom for the feedback :D

I definitely hear some radiohead in your songs sam :)

I'm loving the sound,I'll have to listen on better speakers some time though.Vocals need to be brought out a bit more(it could just be my speakers though).

Yep I need to redo one of the mixes to bring the vocals a bit more to the front. Thanks btw :D

that's what i liked about my old band, i would turn up at practises with all the riffs and ideas, then they'd help arrange it. back then i was more useless than i am now.

i think making things intentionally long or short depends on who/where you want to listen to the music. short dance tracks are the worst things ever, milk the thing for what it's worth then move onto the next thing...

that's what i liked about my old band, i would turn up at practises with all the riffs and ideas, then they'd help arrange it. back then i was more useless than i am now.

Have you tried writing straight into cubase/etc? You can then arrange and layer your parts with instant feedback... Helps with telling if something works or not and you can also see the phrasing and thusly balance things properly.

i think making things intentionally long or short depends on who/where you want to listen to the music. short dance tracks are the worst things ever, milk the thing for what it's worth then move onto the next thing...

You're right in a way but I feel it's important to develop the ideas and reference them later on rather than just moving on to the next thing... Repetition is fine but you've always got to have something moving (often vocals) and the phrasing has to be spot on.

heh, you add a play order track (like you would add a midi or audio track) and you draw in sections on the play order track with the pen tool. then you can add these sections youve made when looking at the play order track. the 'e' section of the play order track kinda becomes your new transport, and you add the sections by double clicking on them.

you need to make sure you activate play order mode, which overrides how the transport would normally run, its in the 'e' section of the play order track and its a button on the top left of the window near the transport stuff.

when youve decided on an order you like you can flatten it using the furthest right button, which will remove the play order track and your stuff from before and leave you with what you programmed in as the new order. :) that help?

Have you tried writing straight into cubase/etc? You can then arrange and layer your parts with instant feedback... Helps with telling if something works or not and you can also see the phrasing and thusly balance things properly.

You're right in a way but I feel it's important to develop the ideas and reference them later on rather than just moving on to the next thing... Repetition is fine but you've always got to have something moving (often vocals) and the phrasing has to be spot on.

it's just the way i write things, beginning-middle-end... not verse/chorus/verse/chorus/bridge etc.

what i meant is develop all the ideas in a song, so those are done, then on the next song you can concentrate on the next thing and develop that and go somewhere with it :)

heh, you add a play order track (like you would add a midi or audio track) and you draw in sections on the play order track with the pen tool. then you can add these sections youve made when looking at the play order track. the 'e' section of the play order track kinda becomes your new transport, and you add the sections by double clicking on them.

you need to make sure you activate play order mode, which overrides how the transport would normally run, its in the 'e' section of the play order track and its a button on the top left of the window near the transport stuff.

when youve decided on an order you like you can flatten it using the furthest right button, which will remove the play order track and your stuff from before and leave you with what you programmed in as the new order. :) that help?

Cheers for that, very helpful - I'll give it a go this afternoon :)

it's just the way i write things, beginning-middle-end... not verse/chorus/verse/chorus/bridge etc.

what i meant is develop all the ideas in a song, so those are done, then on the next song you can concentrate on the next thing and develop that and go somewhere with it :)

I think that while you're writing the song, you need to be developing all of the ideas to their fullest potential, but, when you feel satisfied with that, it's (almost) always a good exercise to go through the song, chopping repeated bits or bits that don't need to be there out.

• 3 weeks later...