vocals are too loud...get someone other than your singer to mix it, sounds ok otherwise, i agree drums need to be higher in the mix, not the overheads so much, but definately snare/toms/kick.

guitars are ok, maybe a bit muffled but i think they work.

yeah, our singer is a music industry major too, i thought his mixes would be perfect, but i like my mixes of other songs better.

anyways, what were your thoughts on our songs musically?

Guest bshuker
yeah, our singer is a music industry major too, i thought his mixes would be perfect, but i like my mixes of other songs better.

anyways, what were your thoughts on our songs musically?

lol unfortunately in my experience it always happens, whoever mixes it, if they play that instrument, or sing, will always mix it with them in full fledged glory. i'd recommend making the mixes a bit brighter aswell they seem quite dark overall, maybe a bit of a light boost up top in the mastering, guitars are good but i think it might be worth padding them out in the heavier parts either by using just a little bit more gain, or quad tracking, and perhaps boost them in the upper mids so they really nail through, in fact listening again i get that with the clean aswell, needs some more sparkle. there are some parts on the clean guitars where some compression wouldn't go a miss, such as on the song 'this should be night', because the bass notes as you play them are popping out of the mix a lot, a bit of compression would smooth those over. theres also parts where it seems the vocals are clipping aswell. not sure why that is you'd have to check that out, i reckon the vocal track is a bit dry at times too.

sounds like a lot of critique but its only little things in reality, your singer has done a good job, it just needs some little things to make it sound really really awesome.

and yeah the music is cool! i'm really not into that sort of stuff, but its pretty sound for the type! i think it'd be cool if you got some more vocal harmonies in there, would add some depth, plus seems to be fitting for the genre. its good stuff though man :)

just one last thing, i reckon if you listened to some Alter Bridge for some inspiration mix and arrangement wise it would really benefit your sound/style, and maybe even Coheed and Cambria? i dunno i'm not up on this sort of bands, i get lost somewhere inbetween Coheed and Fall Out Boy as to whats going on really. (and no, i dont' like fall out boy lol)

oh god one more thing: on your clean parts, it'd perhaps be cool to play them on acoustic aswell, just a real mild blend underneath, works really nicely sometimes

yeah we were pretty limited on the mixing because i recorded the guitars and bass on my computer and sent him the WAVs. the vocals were done in a studio. I know what you are talking about it being dry at sometimes, the most apparent is at the end of "in classic slash and burn fashion" when he yells "this pain inside...". the reason it sounds so thin is because there is so much layering throughout the song that when they climax of the song hits there is only one track and it just sounds wierd. as in more vocal harmonies, we could never get the bassist and singer into the same room to work on that together so when we recorded the demos we just decided we would work on it later because i was heading up to school soon. we did mix the final stuff in protools HD which was a plus.

as for influences, you got one of them right, i am a huge coheed fan, atleast their first 2 albums, im not a fan of good apollo. saosin (especially the "translating the name" ep), at the drive-in, and mineral were my other main influences. our name was actually pulled from mineral's "gloria"

and for alterbridge, i have never actually listened to a full song of theirs.

thanks for the insight.

• 4 weeks later...

A music video has been donated to Karmafish. The song is 'The Sundial Keeper' from the album 'Karmafish & Vegas', featuring Chris 'Vegas' Skinner.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4DSxVcZ9SyI

If you recognise anything... we were those who did the acoustic version of Supermassive Blackhole (http://www.muselive.com/forums.php?m=posts&q=27027), which went down quite well.

More songs and information available on the myspace and facebook pages.

Enjoy

http://www.myspace.com/karmafishmusic

You've done it now! I'm going to go on your myspace tonight!

Fancy a gig in stoke? Could be able to arrange one in the new year. I'm having trouble getting hold of a couple of promo people at the moment though :-/

i'll play anywhere! :)

i'll get round to listening to your stuff at some point, i only really go on the computer these days to check myspace :$

Erroneous! You're on about the new song yeh? I shall review that with your thoughts in mind.

I downloaded all the available songs of 3rd storey chemist on the myspace, and put them on a cd in the car. I've listened to it twice all the way through, and it's pretty cool. I wonder if you wrote the peices as songs waiting for vocals, or as instrumental peices? What I would say is (bearing in mind i'm being totally honest)

The sound is cool, that's obviously your strong point.

Some of the riffs, synth parts, and basslines are cool, but this is your weak point - there aren't enough of them. You need to bring more ideas into the songs, have more ideas going at once, rather than seperating them into sections. And you should take time to arrange your songs. Demo them, and cut them up on the computer into sections, then cut all the sections in half and play around with the arrangement. Basically, the tracks are way too long for the amount of interesting musical content that's in them.

The main thing I hear in your music is potential, and that's obviously a grweat thing to have!

OK so I need some harsh criticism on a few on the tracks up on my myspace. They haven't been mastered just mixed very roughly. Some of the tracks up here are just put up to fill up space and are no where near complete.

http://www.myspace.com/14786sam

Be brutal! I need to find out what needs changing for another persons viewpoint.

EDIT: by the way the tracks I need your opinions on are called "heartbeat" "who doesn't have eyes" and "rabbit in your headlights remix".

Many thanks.

OK so I need some harsh criticism on a few on the tracks up on my myspace. They haven't been mastered just mixed very roughly. Some of the tracks up here are just put up to fill up space and are no where near complete.

http://www.myspace.com/14786sam

Be brutal! I need to find out what needs changing for another persons viewpoint.

EDIT: by the way the tracks I need your opinions on are called "heartbeat" "who doesn't have eyes" and "rabbit in your headlights remix".

Many thanks.

Did you rip off Nelly? :D