THE ALL-IMPORTANT LIE DETECTOR TEST

100% guaranteed to be more satisfying than The 2nd Law

Gave it a listen. More satisfying? I unno. Probably :LOL:

Anyway, Really impressed. Put it on a CD and listened to it, twice on a very, very long car trip. Mixed well, sounded good to my ears. I got that prog rock vibe from the whole lot, can hear QOTSA and Deftones. It sounded like a well constructed album too, not all over the place like that T2L shit.

That bass tone in some of the songs sounds really solid and nice. Vocalist has a pretty awesome voice and your guitarist(s) is(are) superb. You guys as a group nail those sounds well and fit in nicely. :D Basically, tones were nice. I like what you guys did with the drum sounds. It was there and felt sweet. Was there a lot of sub bass on the kick in the first track? First thing I noticed in "the mix" was that kick.

Only things I could say in maybe a negative manner is that in at least one song it sounded like the drums were out of time? I played it to our drummer and he picked it up also. It might just be one song and it's probably one with a difficult time signature (much kudos!). To be honest, I can't see many people noticing it. Also that one of the songs (I forget which), the vocals sound behind the mix and it slightly bugged me. I should give it another listen when I haven't been driving for 8+ hours but it doesn't distract too much. It makes it sound human, and I really enjoyed that, to the point I was getting into it maybe a bit too much :LOL:

tl/dr. It's good. Listen to it. :)

Gave it a listen. More satisfying? I unno. Probably :LOL:

Cheers! I'd be interested to know which songs you're talking about specifically there. The drums are all played to a click and edited to a T so I hope what you're hearing is just one of my weird beats. I'm dissapointed the vocals are too far back on one... which one? that's my standard mistake :-/

Cheers! I'd be interested to know which songs you're talking about specifically there. The drums are all played to a click and edited to a T so I hope what you're hearing is just one of my weird beats. I'm dissapointed the vocals are too far back on one... which one? that's my standard mistake :-/

I'll get back to you ASAP on that. If it helps, I assume the drum beat might have just been the odd timing but I'll confirm, The vocals I'll find, I can't remember since I was taking note of which track was which. Only minor points though and to be fair, not like I could do better.

I actually gave it all a listen tonight, again. The behind the mix vocals was on Swansong, but only slightly in the verse. I think it's more I wished they popped out a little bit more, since the song really is epic. ;)

The drumming. I don't know. I actually sat there and tapped along to some of the songs and I swear it was in time. Maybe it's the instruments that are out, perhaps playing behind the beat (something I've noticed my guitarist friends tend to do) or maybe my drummer friend is really pedantic and listens for the tiniest nuances. He said you've done a rather good job drumming though as far as writing beats are concerned and we were really listening to it thinking we need to do something with more different beats like that. Sort of happened today so you've kind of inspired us at least to come up with something different and challenging. :happy:

I swear it kind of has a post hardcore feel in some songs which for some reason I enjoy. I'm so used to screamo and stuff being played by others around me (usual music in this town) that I find it mostly boring. Having that prog rock edge though just made it much nicer and I really enjoy it. I'll just have to print the CD label out and it'll stay in my car CD collection. :D

Only other thing. That volume level difference from track 11 to track 1 (CD's on repeat by default) made me jump a bit. :LOL:

haha, well it's not designed to repeat! If you go through the test there's another track for download which fits quite nicely on the end, just to cheer you up a bit. It might take the edge off if you have it on repeat. You get a couple of videos too.

I don't know if any of it is "post hardcore" or "prog"... I don't even know what post hardcore refers to. I'm going to see Rolo Tommasi on Monday, is that post hardcore? There's a song mostly in 5/4 and a riff in one song in 13/8 but apart from that it's all pretty standard?! But yeh, my drumming is generally pretty dodgy, so what I think of as "feel" probably sounds like shit to other drummers.

Oh, yeh, the vocal level in Swansong. God. We agonised over that for weeks, so i'm no longer dissappointed. It's not my rookie error, just subjective.

I understand it's not meant to repeat. I'm happy with how the levels are. You get a really nice feeling of the album winding down. Just saying it caught me by surprise :LOL:

As far as genre goes, post hardcore I find gets thrown around pretty loosely but the best description of it probably comes from Cedric from The Mars Volta, if he's to be believed in his description...

"screaming vocals with over-the-top emotions, calculated, heavy riffs, [...] offbeat rhythms"

So you can see where I probably saw a bit of that. Mainly the screaming in the opening tracks, which work so well.

The prog element is probably the sometimes unusual structures and progressions and those different time signatures.

It all fits nicely together. :)

Edited by Crowella

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...