Stockholm Syndrome (definitive thread)

Alysum

If you're looking for a good muse sounding distortion i reccomend the boss Mega Distortion (MD-2) matt doesnt use it but its as chunky as distortion comes
no offense, but that pedal is complete shite. It's worse than a Metal Zone. It is completely horrible! It sounds like an MG series for Gawd's sake!

The guitarist in my band just uses a Line6 overdrive (if that's what is is, I don't know the distortion on the Spider II amps), sounds perfect for the song. For the "Woosh" its just the Line6 Phaser on the amp with a slow Sweep Echo.

The "woosh" is just a phaser. The sweep echo isn't enywhere near that sound and you can't get it either, simply because it's a delay... And yes, I can tell, cause I have it :p

I thought on the record he used his black manson (thus with FF) not through an amp, but directy into the mixer and a synth. That's why you get such a "non-bassy" sound on the record.

Live he might be playing it only through the Diezel distortion, but I still think he uses the FF, cause he mostly plays with the black manson or either his 'old' silver one...

For me, I always use the Line6 Fuzz amp modeler, sounds about as nice, esp when you select a cab with high gain and low bass...

i know he doesnt do this, but this is how i get a near identical sound...

EHX Muff-Muff-Wah: Crying Tone pedal.

Fuzz on loud, slowly sweep the expression pedal, using it more like a phaser than a wah pedal. Also can use it in a similar way to nail the solo in Sing For Absolution. god i love that pedal of mine... lol :cool: (edit: added advatnage over my phaser is i get to control the parameters of the sweep with an expression pedal, so much more flexible)

But, more to the point, it proves how you can get a near identical sound by more than one means... which means that you can't role out the possibility of matt using different combos for some live performances.

The "woosh" is just a phaser. The sweep echo isn't enywhere near that sound and you can't get it either, simply because it's a delay... And yes, I can tell, cause I have it :p

I thought on the record he used his black manson (thus with FF) not through an amp, but directy into the mixer and a synth. That's why you get such a "non-bassy" sound on the record.

Live he might be playing it only through the Diezel distortion, but I still think he uses the FF, cause he mostly plays with the black manson or either his 'old' silver one...

For me, I always use the Line6 Fuzz amp modeler, sounds about as nice, esp when you select a cab with high gain and low bass...

It sounds alot like sweep delay to me, just without the delay (Delay time = min, Repeats = min, Rate (Tweak) = min or fairly close to min, Depth (Tweez) = max, Mix = Whatever turns you on).

hear my stockholm cover

i got that sweet sound just using my line 6 spider 2 amp. play around with the green distortion, the settings i've forgotten unfortunately. bridge pickup select on humbucker guitar. and for the cool phaser sound i used, just touch the button on, on the amp, so it just goes into "chorus/flange" section. its actually a slow phaser. if you turn it more, it goes into proper flange.

any help needed just ask

nice

It sounds alot like sweep delay to me, just without the delay (Delay time = min, Repeats = min, Rate (Tweak) = min or fairly close to min, Depth (Tweez) = max, Mix = Whatever turns you on).

You cannot just rip the delay out of a delay effect, trust me on this one... It's a phaser nothing more... Just because your phaser doens't go so slow doesn't mean it isn't one :p

Afaik he used a very old phaser model, can't remember the name.

You cannot just rip the delay out of a delay effect, trust me on this one... It's a phaser nothing more... Just because your phaser doens't go so slow doesn't mean it isn't one :p

Afaik he used a very old phaser model, can't remember the name.

Well a phaser is a delayed signal, so your not doing anything different to what a phaser does, but it does sound like wah rather than phase to me

Well a phaser is a delayed signal, so your not doing anything different to what a phaser does, but it does sound like wah rather than phase to me

Sigh it is NOT a delayed signal, it's a duplicate signal that goes from in phase (hance the name: phaser) to out-of-phase making the sound either thicker or thinner...

There ya go, now just accept it's a phaser :p

And yes it sounds like a slow wah, bacause a wah basicaly does the same thing, but mostly is controlled by an expression pedal, except fo autowahs...

Sigh it is NOT a delayed signal, it's a duplicate signal that goes from in phase (hance the name: phaser) to out-of-phase making the sound either thicker or thinner...

There ya go, now just accept it's a phaser :p

And yes it sounds like a slow wah, bacause a wah basicaly does the same thing, but mostly is controlled by an expression pedal, except fo autowahs...

Where does that duplicate signal come from? from delaying the signal slightly, its not noticable, but it is delayed.

How do you think chorus and flangers work, because they all delay the signal.

Where does that duplicate signal come from? from delaying the signal slightly, its not noticable, but it is delayed.

How do you think chorus and flangers work, because they all delay the signal.

You're brilliant... But you're missing the point between a couple of milliseconds delay which you can't reduce, simply because you have to digitally duplicate an analog signal and a delay which has controllable delay...

And afaik I have NEVER seen a phaser with controllable delay and sweepecho doe more than a phaser-with-delay...

But I think I'll just say you're right and you're happy ;)

according to a guitarist magazine interview, Rich Costey and Matt used an old strange little computer application called windows 4.3 or something like that, to create that sound. The sound exists of a guitar and some sort of synth mixed together.

according to a guitarist magazine interview, Rich Costey and Matt used an old strange little computer application called windows 4.3 or something like that, to create that sound. The sound exists of a guitar and some sort of synth mixed together.

I think that was Matt's knowledge of computers ;) Since windows is just the operating system (ofcourse) and I doubt it if they used an Apple that there would be a programm called that way ;)

But seriously, I read that too and what I can recall it was used for the synth effects and layering mostly. But hey, a studio production involves a LOT of those things.

There's a sound sample of Rich working on SS in the studio btw, it's on the muse site afaik, you can hear all the minor adjustments he makes ;)

You're brilliant... But you're missing the point between a couple of milliseconds delay which you can't reduce, simply because you have to digitally duplicate an analog signal and a delay which has controllable delay...

And afaik I have NEVER seen a phaser with controllable delay and sweepecho doe more than a phaser-with-delay...

But I think I'll just say you're right and you're happy ;)

I think an Electro Harmonix Bad Stone has a controllable delay time, but don't hold me to that, because I can't remember, but there are lots of flangers with controllable delay times, usually labelled "Manual" and phasers work on the same principal as a flanger.

What I am saying is that if you use the sweep echo on the DL4, put delay time and repeats to minimum, the delay time is so small, you don't notice it and you can use the auto wah on the sweep delay as a normal auto wah or phaser or whatever.

By the way, if you read the whole thread, you'd realise I mentioned a computer programme which can do what Matt described it as doing (Kyma), I know of no others though.

Guest Bl44t44p

Can anyone tell me how Matt plays the outro of Stockholm Syndrome live? No, not the outro with the Execution Commentary riffs, but the outro of the song itself. I watched the Glastonbury gig and it actually looks like Matt isn't playing on the 12th (and 13th and 10th) fret (as the official book says), but somewhere around the 3th fret I guess. Too bad they are switching camera's all the time, but when playing (and repeating) the outro for the second time you clan clearly see his left hand is for sure not on the 12th fret or somewhere around there..

Who helps me out :confused:

Archived