Stockholm Syndrome (definitive thread)

Alysum

• 2 weeks later...

Then how the hell do you play guitar at all?

The whole song is just alternate picking all the way (execption for the harmonic bits maybe).

The chorus might be downstrokes, but that's because Matt always plays silly downstrokes (like citizen erased), I dont have enough speed for that... But alternate picking is good anyway.

yeh, the alternate picking speed isnt fast, and its all on the same string. the only bit i cant do is the kinda solo part at the end, the "3 bars that are harder".......anyway

just alternate pick and play the notes as usual with the left hand, and build up speed...comeon! anyone would think your discussing something hard/secretive you have to perform on a guitar

I still can't play this song stroking the D string in both ways :(

It's basically just the final riff at the end but faster. Just do that and keep going faster, it's simple.

And I don't use any hammer ons or pull offs, I just alternate pick em.

The thing that pisses me off is that everytime i play the opening riff it just sounds like a load of noise in D. I cant hear like the 13 or the 16 and 17 picks.

How do i make it more clear? I have tried it with the gain down, the distortion down, the phaser on, the phaser off.

Well i just have my amp but i have 4 efx on it: Phaser, Flanger, Chorus, Tremolo. And there are like 5 levels of distortion too.

Then there is just like gain, bass etc.

I've tried using a Heavy Distortion pedal too but not much different.

So with all the effects turned off and the gain turned down it still sounds like noise? Turn all of your effects off then go down to the lowest gain setting you can and then work your way up until it sounds distorted without being noise...

I normally dont have efx on except maybe phaser.

Right ill try now, ill tell what its like.

well, just use different amp models. Try the Brit Gain (or whatever) on high-ish settings, that might be better

R-Fier is still the best but ill keep messin around with it until the noise stops.

Thanks again by the way

when he plays the song live the second half of the bridge is played right at the high end of the neck on the 6th string...

D|--20--20--17--17---0---0--20--20--17--17---0---0--20--20--17--17-|

|--19--19--15--15---0---0--19--19--15--15---0---0--19--19--15--15-|

|--17--17--14--14---0---0--17--17--14--14---0---0--17--17--14--14-|

|--17--17--13--13---0---0--17--17--13--13---0---0--17--17--13--13-|

and then the bit on the 5th string... I guess it's less of a stretch to play it where the frets are closer together

hey guys, what Fuzz Factory setting do you use for this song ?

I always use the high compression setting for playing muse (Hi-Compression 3:00 9:00 5:00 5:00) but it's not quite right for SS.

Does he even use the FF for this song?? Live?? Im confused :confused:

Archived