Songs that you always prefer the studio version of...

Dominic.

SMBH - Just sounds better to me (except for the solo, always hated the studio 'solo')

Soldiers Poem - The vocal harmonies sound great on the album but can't be recreated live

TIRO - Just a bit flat live now-a-days

Megalomania - The power of the studio version just can't be recreated without a proper organ

Undisclosed Desires - Need I say more?

Guiding Light - More emotional on the album (even if there still isn't much) and the solo is better

Hysteria - I prefer Matt's vocals live but the bass doesn't have enough 'presence' most of the time and I can't stand Matt's guitar playing/effects

Feeling Good - Again, not enough bass

Stockholm Syndrome - Don't hate me for this, I loved it back in the Absolution Tour and the BHAR Tour but lately it's just not that powerful, the riffs are great but what happened to "I WISH I COULD!" ? I understand Matt not screaming but I've even seen gigs where he didn't sing it at all which sucks 'cause that's one of the signature's of that song, I think.

SMBH - Just sounds better to me (except for the solo, always hated the studio 'solo')

Soldiers Poem - The vocal harmonies sound great on the album but can't be recreated live

TIRO - Just a bit flat live now-a-days

Megalomania - The power of the studio version just can't be recreated without a proper organ

Undisclosed Desires - Need I say more?

Guiding Light - More emotional on the album (even if there still isn't much) and the solo is better

Hysteria - I prefer Matt's vocals live but the bass doesn't have enough 'presence' most of the time and I can't stand Matt's guitar playing/effects

Feeling Good - Again, not enough bass

Stockholm Syndrome - Don't hate me for this, I loved it back in the Absolution Tour and the BHAR Tour but lately it's just not that powerful, the riffs are great but what happened to "I WISH I COULD!" ? I understand Matt not screaming but I've even seen gigs where he didn't sing it at all which sucks 'cause that's one of the signature's of that song, I think.

I think SMBH is much better live on TR tour, although I do agree on you about disliking the studio solo

TIRO obviously

Hysteria...disliked the BH&R era live version, guitar was weak. It's been good last two years

SS same as BH&R almost. And I think it can sound a little weak in places on the studio version

All down to personal opinions of course :)

UD and Resistance have really grown on me live... both songs are quite tempermental but when Matt gets them right (I just made you think of MotP), they're sublime.

New Born has been a letdown lately... too slow, not enough energy, vocals aren't right. Speaking of disappointing live vocals:

Take a Bow.

SFA.

CoD.

Exo-P.

Megalomania.

And the vox-swapping on Dead Star, TSP and Hyper Music.

Soldier's Poem, because of the harmonies. Incredible on the album. I think Megalomania is incredible on the album, because of all the extra falsetto in the final minute or two. And I like the circus sounding organ there, that I haven't heard live. Well, on youtube. I've never seen it live. :(

I always laugh when the studio version of TIRO comes on in my car, because of the snapping. It just strikes me as amusing. Perhaps I'm easily amused. :$

Hmm...

TIRO - Mainly because the live version just doesn't sound as beefy as on the album.

Undisclosed Desires - Well, the live version is just dull, doesn't sound anywhere near as good as on the album.

Soldier's Poem - On the album version I really enjoy all the backing vocals, and of course live they never sound as good.

Megalomania - Particularly the end sounds pretty weak live compared to the album version.

Exogenesis Part 1 - Those live synths...:noey:

MOTP - Yeah it's good live, but the album version is just better.

That's all I can think about.

I preffer the early version of SMBH, like the one at Shephard's Bush, but found it really enjoyable anyway, it's actually a pretty great live song, but whenever I listen to the studio version I always find myself liking it more than most live versions I've seen.

Hysteria is a bit hit and miss, I preffered it live when Matt would play the outro on his head/up in the air rather than messing with pedals/the kaoss pad, but at Leeds and Reading where he worked in Sweet Child O' Mine, it sounded absolutely incredible, and the bass was stunning. It has the potential live to blow the studio version away, but it doesn't always manage it.

New Born was a joke on the last tour. Too slow and weak. At R&L the chorus was mindblowingly massive, and it sounded really good, but it's nowhere near the same level it was at in the past. The version on HAARP is the highlight of the entire gig.

Hysteria is a bit hit and miss, I preffered it live when Matt would play the outro on his head/up in the air rather than messing with pedals/the kaoss pad, but at Leeds and Reading where he worked in Sweet Child O' Mine, it sounded absolutely incredible, and the bass was stunning. It has the potential live to blow the studio version away, but it doesn't always manage it.

When does Matt use effects for the outro of Hysteria?

Last time I saw him he played part of Back in Black for the outro of Hysteria, so when the song ended it flowed perfectly into the riff. So I agree, it's a hit and miss.

New Born was a joke on the last tour. Too slow and weak. At R&L the chorus was mindblowingly massive, and it sounded really good, but it's nowhere near the same level it was at in the past. The version on HAARP is the highlight of the entire gig.

On the DVD version of HAARP, I definitely agree, I can't see how people don't like that version.

Archived