"Musevangelists"

gocanux

At the gym today a guy had on a Vegoose t-shirt, so of course i had to ask him about the concerts. He hadn't really known Muse, but thought they were amazing (of course!)! So we chatted a bit, and I recommended the HAARP set, so he's off to the store to buy it! One by one, one by one...:D

At the gym today a guy had on a Vegoose t-shirt, so of course i had to ask him about the concerts. He hadn't really known Muse, but thought they were amazing (of course!)! So we chatted a bit, and I recommended the HAARP set, so he's off to the store to buy it! One by one, one by one...:D

Huzzah! :happy:

SO. Perhaps I can make a few more fans tomorrow. In my amazingly easy and pointless computer class, we have to make a powerpoint presentation on anything. I chose Muse, of course. We have to have sound clips and videos. I'm showing a clip of KoC from Reading '06. I don't know what audio clip to play. *sigh* I might even play 4 of them. Heh. That still is gonna be hard. Something piano-y, Bliss, New Born, The Groove...I dunno. :(

I never go out of my way. If someone asks i will suggest an album or something. Other than that i on occassion might play someone a 'special' song with some intent (explaining a point or sharing a happy thought ;) )

As much i love talking about music with strangers, in a friends/lovers/family circle I wouldn't want my favourite song to be played to death by someone i might grow to hate. I don't care how immature that is, it's the way the world works!

....Does that make me a Muse snob?!

• 3 months later...
I'm having the same problem! :( As soon as I play them a Muse song, their reaction is something like, 'WTF?' and then they go away. And start singing crap like Soulja Boy :rolleyes:

Welcome to 90% of the population of swansea

I hate to admit it ... :erm: but.. all the people I know that like muse that go to my school--are the "weird" people.

Not to mention, out of my friends, only about 5 like them, or listen to them at all :$

..yet

Somewhat makes me feel sorry for them--on what they're missing out on. :happy:

:yesey: me to ive managed to convert 2 of my friends(with ema lazers lol ) and 1 already knew them allthough ive sent a few singles to people but only supermassive black hole and cant take my eyes off you because people know them appart from that everyone here seems to live in pop clubland RnB chav land :noey: hardly anyone likes rock and those that do usually are metal heads :rolleyes: so im sorta stuck in centeral welsh chav land on my own

• 4 months later...

We must now consider author Stephenie Meyer as a true Musevangelist: there must be thousands and thousands of new Muse fans who discovered the band due to her frequent mentions in her book dedication pages, websites, and interviews. I have converted new fans one by one, she has achieved mass conversions!

I used to tell people all the time to listen to Muse. I basically pushed it on everyone. However, recently, I was talking to my friend who is a large Twilight fan who had just recently seen the movie. She texted me and said she couldn't stop listening to Supermassive Black Hole. I wasn't really that happy but I texted back saying something like "Oh really? That's awesome!" Then, she texted back and said, "Yeah, I'm really getting into Muse's style now and am really starting to like them." After that, it just turned me off completely. She likes the Jonas Brothers, you see. You can't like the Jonas Brothers and Muse at the same time (well you can, but I'd rather you didn't). I just don't want a bunch of people who say "Muse is the best!!!!!!!!!!" but have only heard three songs. And frankly, I have run into one too many people like that.

I used to tell people all the time to listen to Muse. I basically pushed it on everyone. However, recently, I was talking to my friend who is a large Twilight fan who had just recently seen the movie. She texted me and said she couldn't stop listening to Supermassive Black Hole. I wasn't really that happy but I texted back saying something like "Oh really? That's awesome!" Then, she texted back and said, "Yeah, I'm really getting into Muse's style now and am really starting to like them." After that, it just turned me off completely. She likes the Jonas Brothers, you see. You can't like the Jonas Brothers and Muse at the same time (well you can, but I'd rather you didn't). I just don't want a bunch of people who say "Muse is the best!!!!!!!!!!" but have only heard three songs. And frankly, I have run into one too many people like that.

Well, frankly I think it's pretty silly to be condescending toward new fans who have discovered the band thru an author, or a movie. Anything that serves to increase Muse's fanbase must be seen as a good thing for the band. Sure, some new fans may have only heard SMBH in the Twilight film and have it stuck in their heads; but then they start listening to other Muse songs, and earlier recordings, live stuff, etc. We all started somewhere. You have only been on this forum for 5+ months, but does that make you less of a fan than the people who discovered them back in the Showbiz days? Of course not---it's just an accident of time/location/exposure. Muse is still not that well known in the US---does it really matter how their audience increases? No---just that it does, and more people can discover and enjoy their incredible music.

Anyone that I try to get to listen to muse...there are a couple reaction to "have you heard of muse?"

"yeah, they're allright"

"...alright? How many songs have you heard? Let me guess, Supermassiver Black Hole, Knights of Cydonia and Starlight?"

"yeah, actually..."

I tried to get this guy to listen to AP but he said it wasnt his style. :(

Also, "have you heard of Muse?"

"yeah, they suck."

"why?"

"The singers voice is too whiny!"

I actually convinced my grandpa (of all people) to put ONE muse song on his new ipod. Hyper Music! :LOL:(he actually really likes that tune, but doesn't generally like matt's "whiny" voice...)

Well, frankly I think it's pretty silly to be condescending toward new fans who have discovered the band thru an author, or a movie. Anything that serves to increase Muse's fanbase must be seen as a good thing for the band. Sure, some new fans may have only heard SMBH in the Twilight film and have it stuck in their heads; but then they start listening to other Muse songs, and earlier recordings, live stuff, etc. We all started somewhere. You have only been on this forum for 5+ months, but does that make you less of a fan than the people who discovered them back in the Showbiz days? Of course not---it's just an accident of time/location/exposure. Muse is still not that well known in the US---does it really matter how their audience increases? No---just that it does, and more people can discover and enjoy their incredible music.

Okay, okay, I can understand where you are coming from. Haha, and I reread my post and realized how ridiculous it sounded. The thing is, I really think it is more of an age or lack of maturity at my school, really. It's hard to describe the way people are. They live in one bubble and are so close minded. Most people feel that they have to do everything that is going on on MTV and listen to everything on the radio or something is wrong with them. They like Supermassive Black Hole because it was in the Twilight movie. Muse isn't for everyone, I understand that. On occasion, I do try and suggest Muse for people or make someone a CD because they are more open-minded than others.

When I talked to someone from Canada, who is much more mature and open-minded, she started listening to Muse upon my request. At first, she didn't like them, however, tonight, she asked for a bunch of songs by them from me.

Just to be clear, I'm not saying you have to be mature to like Muse, but that is just the way it appears to be at my school.

Anyone that I try to get to listen to muse...there are a couple reaction to "have you heard of muse?"

"yeah, they're allright"

"...alright? How many songs have you heard? Let me guess, Supermassiver Black Hole, Knights of Cydonia and Starlight?"

"yeah, actually..."

I tried to get this guy to listen to AP but he said it wasnt his style. :(

Also, "have you heard of Muse?""yeah, they suck."

"why?"

"The singers voice is too whiny!"

I actually convinced my grandpa (of all people) to put ONE muse song on his new ipod. Hyper Music! :LOL:(he actually really likes that tune, but doesn't generally like matt's "whiny" voice...)

Your grandpa sounds like an interesting guy! Well, Hyper Music is a start, right?

[i can't believe your friend didn't like Apocalypse Please. That was the song that made me an [i]instant[/i] Muse fan. My son had just gotten Absolution, which of course got precious little radio play here in the US. He put it on in the car on the way to school/work one morning, and first song in, I was hooked for life!]

Okay, okay, I can understand where you are coming from. Haha, and I reread my post and realized how ridiculous it sounded. The thing is, I really think it is more of an age or lack of maturity at my school, really. It's hard to describe the way people are. They live in one bubble and are so close minded. Most people feel that they have to do everything that is going on on MTV and listen to everything on the radio or something is wrong with them. They like Supermassive Black Hole because it was in the Twilight movie. Muse isn't for everyone, I understand that. On occasion, I do try and suggest Muse for people or make someone a CD because they are more open-minded than others.

When I talked to someone from Canada, who is much more mature and open-minded, she started listening to Muse upon my request. At first, she didn't like them, however, tonight, she asked for a bunch of songs by them from me.

Just to be clear, I'm not saying you have to be mature to like Muse, but that is just the way it appears to be at my school.

There is some truth to what you say---most serious Musers are actually pretty intelligent, and there are a lot of terribly creative types too. (Yay for your Canadian friend!)

i did that to few mates :LOL:

even with muse being huge in europe i still have to insist to make them stop to listen Tokio Hotel and Jonas Brothers and start to listen to bands like Muse and Kaiser Chiefs :p

it's still really hard to influence them...

• 4 months later...

Yes and no :D I think all/most Muse fans have mixed emotions when it comes to new fans. Yeah, we want to spread the word, but at the same time we're possessive. Ahaha, at least I am :p

I talk about them a lot, and sort of hope cool people get into them. But its not everyone's cup of tea. Most of my friends 'can't take the screaming falsetto.'

The new girl in my class said her best friend's cousin is Chris, but that she doesn't listen to Muse, so the next day i gave her copies of all the albums, unfortunately so far she's only said "yeah they're allright"

I think the more I try to get people into Muse, the more they hate both me and Muse for it :erm:

• 1 month later...

One of my friends and I have been obsessed with them for years. Our other friends have always known us as the Muse addicts but we are finally making some progress on getting our other friends into them. We even have one friends who's been secretly liking them (idk why he never said anything).

I burned BHaR for a friend cuz she liked SMBH. She liked the CD alot, except for the "slow songs." And then she copied it for another one of our friends, who likes "some of it." Then I copied the "less slow" songs off of OoS and Abso. for the first friend and gave it to her today. I think she'll dig it. So now I officially know 2 people other than me (and my 5 y.o. daughter) who like Muse to some degree. Yay! Hooray for piracy and Musevangelism! :awesome:

I converted somebody this week. She's nearly 50. I gave her Absolution and she came in the next morning and said, 'I loved it. All of it. Where's the mosh pit?' :LOL:

Tell her to sign up for this forum and come join us in the Oldies thread (in Banter)!!

I burned BHaR for a friend cuz she liked SMBH. She liked the CD alot, except for the "slow songs." And then she copied it for another one of our friends, who likes "some of it." Then I copied the "less slow" songs off of OoS and Abso. for the first friend and gave it to her today. I think she'll dig it. So now I officially know 2 people other than me (and my 5 y.o. daughter) who like Muse to some degree. Yay! Hooray for piracy and Musevangelism! :awesome:

Muse wouldn't be upset that you burned copies of their stuff; when BH&R came out, their only objection to the bootleg versions most of us had by then was that they were of sub-par quality. and if your friends like what they hear, they will zoom out to buy the real CD's and tix for concerts too! Strong work!

Tell her to sign up for this forum and come join us in the Oldies thread (in Banter)!!

Muse wouldn't be upset that you burned copies of their stuff; when BH&R came out, their only objection to the bootleg versions most of us had by then was that they were of sub-par quality. and if your friends like what they hear, they will zoom out to buy the real CD's and tix for concerts too! Strong work!

Thanks for saying that. After I wrote it I thought, well, some people are against piracy I'm sure. But then I thought, well, my friends probably otherwise would never have bought the cds on their own, anyway. So now I've just started them on the road to Musey-ness.

Archived