Japanese Musers Thread

Rainbow

ok guys, since your are into/from Japan

have you seen this movie "After Life" - it's my favourite movie of all times, it's Japanese and it uses regular people, not actors for the interviews

I also especially liked Japanese original The Call, it was so scarry I could not finish watching it in one day, and the second day I was watchining it with my daughter's babytsitter and we ended up hiding under a blanket hugging each other, we were so terrified. I am sure there are many more Japanese movies I am not aware of, but I just love the intensity of feelings expressed with so few emotions visually. Another good one I loved is "Frozen" where a guy was making artistic statement by using forces of nature and eventually froze himself to death (or did he?)

just so you know, I am origianally from Russia, we've got quite an international Japanese club in this thread :LOL::LOL:

wow this sure is getting really international :LOL: :LOl:

erm...no offence, but doesn't terrific mean "great", as in, something really positive? so, don't you mean "terrifying" or something similar? could be me though ;)

i don't think i remember kobe's earthquake actually, since 10 years ago i was 5 :LOL:

Oh,yeah,I mean "terrifying",of course.It's a false friend for Spaniards because we say "terrorífico" to "terryfing",so it's easy for us to make a mistake.I was 9 but I remember it...the apocalypse,really...

Oh,Hyper,The Call is the one directed by Takashi Miike?I know the Spanish and Japanese titles but not the English ones...

I think we have to create an apprecciation thread in The Love Boat to Japan :LOL::LOL::LOL: .

right,Lottie,this looks like to UN...but,if we talk about Muse,it has to be the UNO :LOL:

Oh,Hyper,The Call is the one directed by Takashi Miike?I know the Spanish and Japanese titles but not the English ones...

I looked it up, its by Hideo Nakata, Ringu in Japanese

they have just complited the sequel to that, but I am sure it's not gonna be as good as the first one

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B000088NQR/qid=1119639105/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_1/104-0626483-1191155?v=glance&s=dvd

they have just complited the sequel to that, but I am sure it's not gonna be as good as the first one

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B000088NQR/qid=1119639105/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_1/104-0626483-1191155?v=glance&s=dvd

ooh ringu!! i think i know that one :happy: ...isn't it The Ring in English? about a tape and if you watch it you're dead after 7 days? something like that if i'm right :stunned: ..

*looks at link*

hey, it sais it right there on the picture "the original movie that inspired The Ring" :D :D

ooh ringu!! i think i know that one :happy: ...isn't it The Ring in English? about a tape and if you watch it you're dead after 7 days? something like that if i'm right :stunned: ..

*looks at link*

hey, it sais it right there on the picture "the original movie that inspired The Ring" :D :D

yes, The Ring , but the american verison was not even half as good

if you know any other japanese movies that are good, pls share

I also kinda liked Greenway's movies Pillow Book and Eight & Half Women, but they are not striktly japanese, even though touch up on the culture

Daaaaaaan!!

Your English does NOT suck. The way you express things are characteristic and I love it!

Let me know when you go to Japan, I’ll be your guide.

Hyper: Hello to someone from Russia!

The director of “After Life” made a movie “Dare mo Shiranai”(Nobody knows) and I loved it. I don’t value many Japanese movies, but his movies are class.

Ring 2 was as scary as Ringu, but then, I can’t watch most of the horror movies (cause it’s too scary!!)

Noooooooooo,my English REALLY sucks!!!!!!Admit it!!!
Daaaaaaan!!

Your English does NOT suck.

The way you express things are characteristic and I love it!

Let me know when you go to Japan, I’ll be your virtual guide . :)

lottie: lucky you don't know about the earthquake. It was on the first page on the newspaper even in Canada. It was scary. :'(

Hyper: Hello to someone from Russia!

Have you seen “Dare mo Shiranai”(Nobody knows)” by the same director of "Afterlife"? It's a sad movie, but very true to the feel of modern Japan, and I loved it. His movies are class.

Ringu 2 was as scary as Ringu, but then, I can’t watch most of the horror movies (cause it’s too scary!!)

Is The Call the russian title?Here,it was called The Ring(The Circle).It's a very good movie,I like it a lot.Ju-on(The Grudge)is another film very scary^^.

The director of “After Life” made a movie “Dare mo Shiranai”(Nobody knows) and I loved it. I don’t value many Japanese movies, but his movies are class.

"Nobody knows" has been released in Spain last week,everyone says it's amazing.I really want to see it!I see as many Japanese movies as I can^^.

Daaaaaaan!!

Your English does NOT suck.

The way you express things are characteristic and I love it!

Let me know when you go to Japan, I’ll be your virtual guide .

Characteristic?What do you mean :LOL: ?Ooooh,I would like to tell you I'm going to Japan soo,but...I'm afraid it has to pass a long time till I can say that ^^U.But,don't worry,I will tell you as soon as I knew it!

Oh,Lottie,I know the meaning of the word,I mean what are the characteristics of my way of talking...Just curiosity...

(thank god you didn't put "*sigh*" or something before the Oh, Lottie...i would've though verrry strange things then :LOL: )

i don't really know any examples or anything....hmmm...difficult :indiff:

"Nobody knows" has been released in Spain last week,everyone says it's amazing.I really want to see it!I see as many Japanese movies as I can^^.
*caution*

"Nobody Knows" is a good movie, but it's depressing. :)

There are people everywhere in Japan, but it's very easy to feel alone. I don't know why, but people are not interested in people maybe? Just like the title, nobody knows you.

*caution*

"Nobody Knows" is a good movie, but it's depressing. :)

There are people everywhere in Japan, but it's very easy to feel alone. I don't know why, but people are not interested in people maybe? Just like the title, nobody knows you.

Yep,I heard that too,the end is very very depressing.You have to be the one who knows better about it,because you are the only Japanese here.Another very depressing fact is the high suicide rate there.Maybe there are some connection between those two things.Nobody knows you.You are alone.There is a huge pressure about work and competence...

Right,Hyper,that's the movie(at least,the movie I was refering to).

Come on!Come on!This is getting depressing!Let's sing to avoid the sadness!

no, but suicide in Japan is just a part of the culture, as I understand it,

it's just simply not a big deal for Japanese, meaning it's not beign frowned upon , so high suicide rate is not because it's depressing to live there, but because it's just another way to die. ???

no, but suicide in Japan is just a part of the culture, as I understand it,

it's just simply not a big deal for Japanese, meaning it's not beign frowned upon , so high suicide rate is not because it's depressing to live there, but because it's just another way to die. ???

:stunned:

my town apparantly has the best railway-turn in the country to kill yourself on...lots of people tend to take advantage of that fact :indiff:

japan=strange :confused:

*puts Nobody Knows on her list of movies she still has to see*

Hyper: Yes, 'Nobody Knows (Dare mo Shiranai)' is directed by Koreeda, as Dan said.

Let's sing to avoid the sadness!
Ha ha, Dan (you'll read this in September, I guess?) , I don’t mean to make this thread depressing, but it is a part of Japanese culture as Hyper said. In fact Japanese love the sadness, you probably hear it in J-pop melodies.

Japan was No. 1 in economy in the 80s (call it 'bubble'). Japanese became highly materialistic and spoiled at the time. I think money made people cold as well -‘ No-interests, No-emotion and No-spirit’-was a phenomenon.

This still remains in the culture, which is well presented in ‘Nobody Knows’. Nobody wants to get involved with you-like my friend passed out on the platform during the busy morning rushhour-she woke up few minute later, realized no one helped her. Last time I went back, I had hard time carrying my suitcase down the stairs. As I knew no one was going to help me, I had to bug people, and they helped me unpleasantly. They are generally nicer to the Westerners, but don’t be surprised if you get no help – especially in a big city.

High suicide rate-the economy is bad in Japan now, but people have been saving. As a result, unemployed people (mainly 18-40yrs old) stay home and do nothing. Their parent pays the fee from their savings. No wonder they are depressed.

Sorry, but this is the dark side of Japan. I still feel depressed when I go back. Maybe the combination of florescent lights, concrete and the lack of space. No place to rest without spending money. And everything is expensive!

For the sake of Japanese, I have to tell you good things, too -they are generally kind once you get to know. They are just a little afraid, but serious, hardworking and honest people. :)

every country has it's dark sides,i'm just glad i know about japan's dark side :)

japan is still my country to be, from the sounds of it :D

In fact Japanese love the sadness, you probably hear it in J-pop melodies.

see? my kind of country :D

I am putting up pics of Shirakawa-gou in Toyama pref. :)

The historic house is a B & B run by a family and I stayed here.

The photo below is inside of the house. Huge breakfast and a in-house fireplace in the background. You see Dan's favourite Kikkoman, too! :D

folkhousein21.jpg

folkhousein11.jpg

• 1 month later...

-Mariko flies down and catches Dan.

pillow.jpg

Here, lie-down. I want you to survive, til we go to Japan. ;)

Oh yeah, 何大すきか? わたしが天ぷら大すき。。。

Well, that was about all the japanese I know :p I really have to start studying again......

Hello smiddel. Another Japan-fan?

Japanese is a hard language to learn, but you know a very useful phrase ... maybe this is all you need! :LOL:

Archived