I think i have figured what the proble might be. in the diagram it shows a wire going from the back of the vol pot to an earth point. i havnt done this, where would one earth it to?

thanks

All the ground or earths should go to one location and that should go to the correct lug on the output jack. Easiest way is to solder all the grounds to the back of one pot and run a wire from that the the output jack.

Guest bshuker
I think i have figured what the proble might be. in the diagram it shows a wire going from the back of the vol pot to an earth point. i havnt done this, where would one earth it to?

thanks

You ground the guitar to the ground terminal on the Jack connection. (I.e. not the one you put your signal to).

Have you got a ground wire to your bridge?

You ground the guitar to the ground terminal on the Jack connection. (I.e. not the one you put your signal to).

Have you got a ground wire to your bridge?

yeh i have a ground wire to my bridge, got a stereo input jack wich has 3 terminals on it, the ground terminal has a cable going to the back of the vol pot, and there is one terminal with nothing attached to it, (i think that one is for the FF battery)

Edit: changed some details

checked all the earthing and the seem fine, connected a cable from the vol pot to the input, less humm now. noticed something with the kilswich, it is connected to the vol (middle terminal) and then the other side is connected stright to the 'hot' on the input jack.

does that sound ok ?

i will take pics if this is not clear enough for you

Guest bshuker

You should sent the other terminal on the killswitch to ground as far as i know. I might be wrong but I think so.

You should sent the other terminal on the killswitch to ground as far as i know. I might be wrong but I think so.

ah i see, makes sense. so then where will the main 'hot' come from then?

because at the moment the hot is coming from the killswitch.

the electrics

3460821218_1e44a2eb66.jpg

a closer pic of the jack plug

3460825622_0cd1926467.jpg

sorry about the cables being all over the place, hope its clear enough

3460015497_30d098736f.jpg

and the killswitch, all cables the same colour, as i didnt have any other colour. 1 comes from the volume terminal, another goes to the jack 'hot' and the middle one goes to earth (back of vol pot)

and heres a pic of my mat-o-caster a its current stage

3460808452_216190ea6d.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3640/3460836770_b24b40ca51.jpg

yeh sorry its hard to get a deicent pic of the 'rats nest' and no i havnt been folowing that diagram, just the one posted in this thread

Hmm try that diagram out and then add in the killswitch but try it without first to see if the problem is solved.

Hmm try that diagram out and then add in the killswitch but try it without first to see if the problem is solved.

right, ok is it ok if i use the red cable from the motherbucker instead of the black one (as it says in the semour duncan diagram) ?

3460825622_0cd1926467.jpg

sorry about the cables being all over the place, hope its clear enough

Dude, take this as constructive criticism (as that's how it's intended), but your soldering is pwp. Look at the way you (haven't) connected the tone pot to the can there. Hardly surprising that you're having issues. All those little globs of solder stuck round the wire may, or may not be making a tidy joint with the pot. You either need more heat, or you need to rough up the can a little so the flux has an easier job.

Also, not sure anyone else has picked up on this yet, but you haven't got any shielding around the cavities. All sorts of hum and other crap can find its way in under these circumstances. Shielding it properly also gives you a bit of double endemnity when it comes to making sure all the components are properly grounded. Without it you're placing even more reliance on your soldering.

Dude, take this as constructive criticism (as that's how it's intended), but your soldering is pwp. Look at the way you (haven't) connected the tone pot to the can there. Hardly surprising that you're having issues. All those little globs of solder stuck round the wire may, or may not be making a tidy joint with the pot. You either need more heat, or you need to rough up the can a little so the flux has an easier job.

Also, not sure anyone else has picked up on this yet, but you haven't got any shielding around the cavities. All sorts of hum and other crap can find its way in under these circumstances. Shielding it properly also gives you a bit of double endemnity when it comes to making sure all the components are properly grounded. Without it you're placing even more reliance on your soldering.

Thanks :), i know i have a dodgy soldering iron the first one shroted :/ i have a gas one but ts too big for that job unfortunatly. and i have some copper shielding stuck on the back plate. i guess i need to put some wround the side ?

finished soldering :).

still slight hummm, but most of the humm has gone. will connect the killswitch next and see if it works. btw, is the killswitch ment to be on/off/on ?

thanks

Yeah that's right. You may get hum with the P90 anyway as it's a single coil.

Yeah that's right. You may get hum with the P90 anyway as it's a single coil.

oh, thats good :) everything is ok with the motherbucker :) just the p90 and 'middle position' it humms.

now to add the killswitch to the circuit :)

thanks again guys :D

oh, thats good :) everything is ok with the motherbucker :) just the p90 and 'middle position' it humms.

now to add the killswitch to the circuit :)

thanks again guys :D

Yeah it will hum in the middle because of the P90, sounds like everything is okay then:)

Archived