Not bad :D what finish you guna put on it ??

I was going to put some plexi glass on it likes matt's one.

but it turned out to be quite tricky, (will do it on my next mattocaster)

on this one i have put 3 coats of tru-oil on it as its lovely mahogany i also didnt want to ruin the finish by putting a slab of plastic on it lol!

p.s will get the pics tomorrow, (camera is at home and i'm in my flat lol)

Here's the latest pics of my guitar :

IMG_1018.jpg

IMG_1014.jpg

Hmm, the neck has like no gap from the p90. it should be ok though, shouldent it?

IMG_1017.jpg

got my pots in :p its all starting to come together on the electrical side atleast. next big thing is the dreaded bridge placement.

apreciate your comments guys

It's okay that there isn't a gap between the p90 shouldn't be a problem. I hope you can lower that P90 lower than it is in the photo as if it's flush with the neck it could create problems when you play high up as the pickup could mute the strings. Looks really good so far.

It's okay that there isn't a gap between the p90 shouldn't be a problem. I hope you can lower that P90 lower than it is in the photo as if it's flush with the neck it could create problems when you play high up as the pickup could mute the strings. Looks really good so far.

the tru-oil realy stands out more in 'real life' unlike the photos

umm, the neck iss above the p90, so the height shouldnt be a problem

heres some pics:

IMG_1019-1.jpg

IMG_1020.jpg

Ah that's fine, looks really good. I'm jealous :p

hehe, thanks :p

it shouldnt be long untill i get the whole lot together :)

just need to get the bridge measurments now :/

getting some wilkinson 0.8 tuning pegs :) 15:1 ratio not that bad for about £20

then install the basic electrics

then install the FF (thanks for the diagram trad3mark :) , dont understandi it fully but i will ask more questions on that when i come to it)

the sweet spot for the neck pickup in right where the 24th fret would be so that should be spot on for that pick up :) looks really good.

wow! i learn something new every day lol. and it was just luck that the neck had a over hang

thanks guys for your comments :)

more to come

thats just totally frickin' gorgeus!!!

thanks,

cant wait to get it finished :p

(thanks again to everyone that has helped me so far, you know who you are :p)

thinking of doing some electricals tonight on it as i dont feel like drilling bits out lol

sorry but i have another question for you guys.

i have a kent armstrong 'motherbucker' and it has 2 main cables with (5 mini cables coming from each cable, with 2 of them being earth's)

summary of the cables

2 main cables (5 mini cables) (2 of them being earth cables) (other 3 i gues go to the selector switch and volume pot) (hopefully the pics will help you understand it)

i was wondering if anyone had a 'wiring up' guide for the kent armstrong?

here are pics of the cables

3270692416_4c77413d62.jpg

3269892577_e987232c4f.jpg

here's the cavity with volume (top) tone/ (bottom)

yeah it looks right on the body. that's a 25.5" scale. it'd be concerned about how far forward the motherbucker is placed though... what's the distance between the saddles and the motherbucker?

the formual is on stewmacs website: sorry not exactly sure of the address, its in an earlyer post (sorry i'm rushing, got work in a bit lol)

and the distance between the motherbucker and the saddles is 34mm (might be a little close, would that cause muting of the strings?)

Well the placement of a pickup does have a large contribution to it's sound, generally the closer to the bridge means more treble, something to do with he way the strings vibrate. Although motherbuckers sound huge wherever they are placed so it's not really a problem. The bridge placement is a tricky task but if you check your measurements then you should be fine. Just make sure you follow the theory of measure twice cut once or measure twice drill once in your case.

Edit: Most guitar builders try to get the bridge humbucker as close to the bridge as possible, having it close wont mute it.

Well the placement of a pickup does have a large contribution to it's sound, generally the closer to the bridge means more treble, something to do with he way the strings vibrate. Although motherbuckers sound huge wherever they are placed so it's not really a problem. The bridge placement is a tricky task but if you check your measurements then you should be fine. Just make sure you follow the theory of measure twice cut once or measure twice drill once in your case.

Edit: Most guitar builders try to get the bridge humbucker as close to the bridge as possible, having it close wont mute it.

yeh, this was one thing that put me off building a guitar. but here i am trying to get it measured correctly, and getting good advice from you guys :)

tomrunez do you think that the bridge placement in the pic looks ok ?

i know it is hard to judge by looking at a pic,

unfortunatly i have to go to work in 5 mins, after that i will continue to measure the bridge, mark it then drill a hole under the bridge to the motherbucker's cavity, for the earth cable.

thanks again guys

getting the bridge the right distance isn't too hard, especially when you've got that much adjustment to intonate the saddles. the real bitch is making sure you get it perfectly central so the strings run perfectly over your pick up poles and, most importantly, evenly and centrally all the way down the neck. my first build the high e is very close to the edge of the fretboard and i didn't know until it was too late!

Archived