Thank you, Muse, thank you

gocanux

My husband has asked me a few times now...."why are you now so obsessed?" Like he doesn't already know the answer.

Basically...seeing them live is what ancored the obsession

You're right, Isabel, Muse does beccome an obsession. And the live experience is so far beyond even their recorded works. Your husband should know beter than to ask!

Well when the first song at the wiltern started my husband and I looked at each other....are they really playing? are they really singing? WOW!!!!!!!!!!!! THEY ARE THAT GOOD!!!!!!!! They sound better live than on their records. How many bands can you say that of?

BTW

MTV2 Rock countdown yesturday:

#7 Franz Ferdinand

#6 My Chemical Romance (cool video)

#5 MUSE!!!!!!!!!!

#4 Jimmy Eat World

#3 Modest Mouse

#2 The Killers

#1 Green Day

GO AND VOTE ON MTV2's webpage!

All these talented and creative people make me feel inadequate. I was born utterly without talent in those areas, but I'm thankful that Muse more than make up for my lack. I'm quite good at what I CAN do (like performing major surgery!) but when I sing somethimes I hit notes that scare me and definitely alarm Muldoon, the cat. My grandmother from Cork, Ireland, was an opera singer, but no one seems to have inherited her talent. Can't draw or play an istrument either; oh well.

All these talented and creative people make me feel inadequate. I was born utterly without talent in those areas, but I'm thankful that Muse more than make up for my lack. I'm quite good at what I CAN do (like performing major surgery!) but when I sing somethimes I hit notes that scare me and definitely alarm Muldoon, the cat. My grandmother from Cork, Ireland, was an opera singer, but no one seems to have inherited her talent. Can't draw or play an istrument either; oh well.

Not too late to learn ;) though I doubt drawing can be learned , playing an instrument can be.

Not too late to learn ;) though I doubt drawing can be learned , playing an instrument can be.

Drawing can be learned, you just have to want to learn it. Granted many artists have learned the basiscs of shadow, perspective, etc, long before adulthood, these are simple concepts that can be taught to adults.

A lot of people say they'll never be able to do calculus or whatever, but I was a physics major for a long time and while it was hard for me, I still worked through it.

People can do just about anything if they put their mind to it. At least that's my belief.

What are hand extensions?

My friend doesn't read music all that well either, and she has been playing for six years, hehehe.

I read music well as a violinist, I've just lost it from not using it. I really don't think the violin is that hard actually. I had loads of trouble learning the guitar. I play the violin mounds better than the guitar. I really think the guitar is probably one of the hardest instruments to learn.

Hand extensions is a little code my daughter and I made up when we play together on the piano - I play the left hand and she plays the right.

It seems you're a very gifted person. As for myself, I couldn't draw portraits if my life depended on it, but I can paint watercolors. I think everybody has an artistic bone in them, and we just have to find it and explore it.

Drawing can be learned, you just have to want to learn it. Granted many artists have learned the basiscs of shadow, perspective, etc, long before adulthood, these are simple concepts that can be taught to adults.

A lot of people say they'll never be able to do calculus or whatever, but I was a physics major for a long time and while it was hard for me, I still worked through it.

People can do just about anything if they put their mind to it. At least that's my belief.

Being able to learn the mechanics of drawing or music may enable anyone to do these things, at least to a degree, but many of us will never learn to do them WELL. I have managed some nice pastel still-lifes, but for me it was a very frustrating experience and involved way too much effort for the result produced. That's where natural talent comes in, so the activity (drawing, playing an instrument) becomes natural and fluid, and the results reflect it. Some of us are right-brain dominant and some left (for the life of me, I can never remember which is which). I have become comfortable with the fact that I may never produce anything artistic, but I can still appreciate those things. On the other hand, for me calculus was a fun class, like doing mathematical crossword puzzles. It's our innate differences which make it all so interesting! As a parent this becomes even more facinating, as you see the differences develop between kids who share the same genetic and environmental influences.

Being able to learn the mechanics of drawing or music may enable anyone to do these things, at least to a degree, but many of us will never learn to do them WELL. I have managed some nice pastel still-lifes, but for me it was a very frustrating experience and involved way too much effort for the result produced. That's where natural talent comes in, so the activity (drawing, playing an instrument) becomes natural and fluid, and the results reflect it. Some of us are right-brain dominant and some left (for the life of me, I can never remember which is which). I have become comfortable with the fact that I may never produce anything artistic, but I can still appreciate those things. On the other hand, for me calculus was a fun class, like doing mathematical crossword puzzles. It's our innate differences which make it all so interesting! As a parent this becomes even more facinating, as you see the differences develop between kids who share the same genetic and environmental influences.

Until two nights ago I thought something very similar, attempting to draw was frustrating then I sat down and started doodling the finished product was something loosely based on the Absolution angel silhouettes and for the first time ever I had produced exactly what I had set out to produce.

I am wondering if this officially qualifies as a miracle and thus helps Muse on their way to St. Hood. INFACT. Let’s have a list of Muse Miracles and get them sainthoods!!!

And another reason I have to thank you, Chris, Dom and Matthew: you have cured my son! He was on crutches at the concert just last week, and now he walks. HE WALKS! Thank you for this miracle; now he doesn't have to play Tiny Tim in A Christmas Carol this year.

Of course, the MRI showed a massive bone bruise and severe MCL sprain, but no major cartilage damage or dreaded ACL tear, but I'm convinced it was Muse who made him well! And you're absolutely right, Chris, soccer is a brutal sport.

This post of mine was several pages back, Blissfully_Enlightened, so you might have missed it. But this certainly should qualify as a miracle!

Ugh, I absolutely despise Math. Anyways, gocanux, I'm sure you can create something very artistic. I know several people that think they're not artistic, the problem is they think something needs to be "pretty" looking or sound very "pretty" to be beautiful or artisitc which is not the case. John Cage is a musical genius according to some people yet his work is very VERY unconventional. So our talent and our tools are out there we just need to be more aware of them. :) Happy Holidays.

Until two nights ago I thought something very similar, attempting to draw was frustrating then I sat down and started doodling the finished product was something loosely based on the Absolution angel silhouettes and for the first time ever I had produced exactly what I had set out to produce.

I am wondering if this officially qualifies as a miracle and thus helps Muse on their way to St. Hood. INFACT. Let’s have a list of Muse Miracles and get them sainthoods!!!

I think the sainthood thing, and miracle thing might be going a little too far, but uh...

Otherwise I think it's great you accomplished something you are pleased with. :)

Thank you, Muse gods, for showing me the way to a genuine copy of Origin of Symmetry! It's an import from Australia on the Mushroom label---is that the label all Aussie copies were sold under? Not Maverick? I don't really care; it's a miracle (oh, no, don't tell blissfully_enlightened, he or she will be lobbying for Muse sainthood again). It's especially miraculous, as I have been looking at every store that sells CD's in this area, and where did I find it??? Borders! (If they don't have Borders where you are, it's a big corporate chain book/music store) Happy happy Christmas for me!

I had looked at at least 25-30 stores in Tacoma and Seattle, and there it was at Borders! Showbiz is easier to find here. And now there are virtually no copies of Absolution to be found, as my sons' friends gave copies to everyone they knew for Christmas! Musevangelists!

Archived