Should Chris be given a shot to do lead vocals for an entire song?

ryanbmuff

Should Chris be given a shot to go lead vocals for an entire song?  

587 members have voted

1. 1. Should Chris be given a shot to go lead vocals for an entire song?

• Yes
    • No

OK, so now that Chris has his songs and seems a lot more involved on stage I think it would be cool if they had him take over vocals for a song that Matt doesn't want to sing. For example they could play The Small Print with Chris singing the whole thing so Matt doesn't have to concentrate on singing and playing guitar at the same time.

Then everyone would start moaning about lazy Matt and why can't he sing *insert song title* himself. There's no point in doing that imo.

First of all because Muse voice is Matt Bellamy's voice not Chris Wolstenholme's (no offense, I love Chris) and secondly because of what I've started with.

I thought this was a thread posted today and I was thinking to myself "Bit late for that" :chuckle:

Handing over Matt-sung songs to Chris would be stupid though. There's nothing wrong with giving him lead on a line or two, like on Hyper Music at R+L 2011, but a whole song wouldn't really work.

Matt's voice is the band. If Chris would sing entire Matt songs then most of the people probably wouldn't really care for the songs. I know I wouldn't because Matt's voice was the only thing that made me notice this band at all. Those uuuuuuu notes during the intro of Where The Streets Have No Name did it for me in an instant followed by the falsetto in Knights.

• 1 month later...

I don't know about songs entirely sung by Chris, but I'd be happy to see him writing and singing a few songs on the next album. It'd add a bit more attack, if nothing else. I liked how bass-driven Liquid State was, the Novoselic influence definitely reared its head there..

I'm guessing he means he's not sure about Chris taking over vocals on older songs?

Maybe, but if that's what he means, what about Hyper music at reading 2011 ? His vocals on the chorus were quite sweet.

Unless you mean taking over vocals for a full song?

I don't mind people bumping up old threads. This board is pretty much dead (MM at least) so if someone can come up with something to talk about, then fine. Because creating a new thread would result in "there is already a thread for this".

My opinion on the topic of this thread is that if Chris comes up with great songs for the next album, awesome, however I would prefer it if Matt sang them. LS and SM don't feel like Muse songs, still. I think a nice compromise would be maybe Chris doing the chorus or a random line or something.

I don't mind people bumping up old threads. This board is pretty much dead (MM at least) so if someone can come up with something to talk about, then fine. Because creating a new thread would result in "there is already a thread for this".

The only thread with a discussion going on is pretty effectively killed by 'This thread is now closed until the next gig'.

Off-topic or not, I think an active forum is more important than stupid thread-rules.

• 2 years later...
I've said it hundreds of times, but another won't hurt: Chris needs to start his own band, kinda like Motorhead where he sings/screams, grows his Pedro 'tache back and just goes mental.

He's got it in him :yesey:.

Have you heard how much he's done with Moriaty? Most people only know about Bones because that's the only one that was released.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

ugh you guys... one-two songs can't kill the band's sound ;) At least imo, idk. maybe I'm not experienced in music knowledge enough (though I read the entire thread and I know you bashed SOAD's attempt or so)

This thread made me relisten to Liquid State (I remember Save Me a bit) and then this guitar-driven hardness made me think of how Matt would've sounded on a song written by his band mate, particularly this one :) (oh wait, but then I hear some back vocals on the second (and last) chorus, weren't those Matt's?) Anyway, yeah... sometimes it's like Matt is the Muse's main voice, because I almost imagined playing LS to a friend and let him/her guess the band name (properly, "I don't know" doesn't count as an answer unless that's another rock band's name, too), and hear him/her picking anyone but Muse... :chuckle:

ugh you guys... one-two songs can't kill the band's sound ;) At least imo, idk. maybe I'm not experienced in music knowledge enough (though I read the entire thread and I know you bashed SOAD's attempt or so)

This thread made me relisten to Liquid State (I remember Save Me a bit) and then this guitar-driven hardness made me think of how Matt would've sounded on a song written by his band mate, particularly this one :) (oh wait, but then I hear some back vocals on the second (and last) chorus, weren't those Matt's?) Anyway, yeah... sometimes it's like Matt is the Muse's main voice, because I almost imagined playing LS to a friend and let him/her guess the band name (properly, "I don't know" doesn't count as an answer unless that's another rock band's name, too), and hear him/her picking anyone but Muse... :chuckle:

The vocals in Liquid State are entirely done by Chris, just like in Save Me. Matt just plays in them.

Archived