None of these schemes will ever work, simply because demand exists for the tickets - even at silly prices.

The only way to stop touts is to not buy their tickets. No demand = no profits = touts on the dole.

Either that or to pressure to have a law passed stating face value only - make it illegal to resell at anything above face value. But that would be lobbied against very hard by the ticket sellers because of their own reselling sites.

Either that or to pressure to have a law passed stating face value only - make it illegal to resell at anything above face value. But that would be lobbied against very hard by the ticket sellers because of their own reselling sites.

This is the simplest and most obvious solution, but does anyone consider it? Do they fuck. It's all about the profit.

Ultimately, the touts are extracting every last penny of revenue out of the market.

The majority of people buy tickets at face value and obviously think it's worth it otherwise they wouldn't pay it.

The touts come along and take advantage of those who are willing to pay even more, but missed out at the original sale.

I wouldn't ever buy a ticket from a tout at twice the price of face value. But some people would - it's those morons who get over emotional about going to see three blokes piss about with guitars and shit that need their heads checking. £100 to see Muse? fuck me

I wonder whether someone experienced the same problems as me when ordering tickets today.

I am a Muse.mu user. I have been for quite some time. Before any pre-sale announcements. And most importantly in my user account I have a code for today's pre-sale!

But sadly, when I enter my code and Muse.mu username (in the correct boxes, using the right username, copying and pasting the code), I got a message saying my details could not be found on the database.

If anyone had the same problem, and magically solved it, please share how here.

I'm sure I'll get a ticket somehow, maybe tomorrow's mailing list pre-sale (although I only joined the mailing list today after failing as I mentioned above), and then there's Friday. We'll see...

My Muse.mu join date was a while ago. But I joined the forum/board today, so I could ask this question. Anyway, I have another chance tomorrow. Just seems like there are some tickets left today, and would be good to get it sorted today.

My first gig was 3 weeks ago in Sheffield, in the standing area right up close to the stage. Can't describe how amazing it was.

My Muse.mu join date was a while ago. But I joined the forum/board today, so I could ask this question. Anyway, I have another chance tomorrow. Just seems like there are some tickets left today, and would be good to get it sorted today.

My first gig was 3 weeks ago in Sheffield, in the standing area right up close to the stage. Can't describe how amazing it was.

Well good luck for tomorrow's presale.

Hopefully it'll be easier than in the past now that all the fanboys hitting refresh every 0.5s have got their tickets and gone back to bed to hibernate for 10 months.

This is the simplest and most obvious solution, but does anyone consider it? Do they fuck. It's all about the profit.

The bands and music industry should be considering as after all they are seeing nothing of the profit resellers and touts make! They seem to kick up enough fuss about piracy and grey market importing which "deprives" them of so much money (they claim), but yet care not about this.

However the government would have to pass the law and that would mean hitting the taxes they get from the sales.

All touts make me angry, i missed out on MUSE at the O2 because i wont buy from them. Going to Munich instead anyway!

All the ideas of ID checks and names on tickets will be costly. Why not just make it illegal to sell any tickets over the face-value? This is printed on all tickets...just a thought thats all!

Ultimately, the touts are extracting every last penny of revenue out of the market.

The majority of people buy tickets at face value and obviously think it's worth it otherwise they wouldn't pay it.

The touts come along and take advantage of those who are willing to pay even more, but missed out at the original sale.

I wouldn't ever buy a ticket from a tout at twice the price of face value. But some people would - it's those morons who get over emotional about going to see three blokes piss about with guitars and shit that need their heads checking. £100 to see Muse? fuck me

Ah, but the majority of these people only missed out because of the touts who bought them to resell for a profit in the first place. Granted there are some people who'd rather buy them later, closer to the date, and don't mind paying over the odds, but I'm pretty sure most try and fail to get any at the general sale, and hence have to buy them off the secondary market.

Funnily enough, the laws of economy dictate that this secondary market actually determines the real price, i.e. the price people are willing to pay for the ticket, so I guess the real solution would be if every ticket (or indeed every good with a limited, finite supply) was sold in this way and therefore every penny of the profit is shared by the band and record company. However, the band/record label have collectively made the decision not to and are happy to sell at a fixed price. If this was enforced by the law of the land (like they've done with football tickets), then no one else would financially gain from the concert apart from the people involved, which is how it should be.

Yes, forcing people (who genuinely cannot make the gig) to resell at face value creates an artificial price with regards to market forces of supply and demand, but then it was an artificial price to begin with anyway. I guess it all boils down to ethics really more than economics.

What I cannot fathom is why there are already bids on some tickets when they haven't even gone on general sale yet!

Are people so dim as to not check the official ticket agencies first to see when they go on sale rather than assuming that because they're on eBay it must have sold out??:rolleyes:

Oh well, I bought tickets yesterday and have ended up with seated tickets right at the back of the stadium. I want to see the band and there's no chance from the back. I'm now going to have a go on Ticketmaster on Friday as you can at least get some idea where you are going to end up. I'll probably end up selling the tickets I got yesterday.

Ah, but the majority of these people only missed out because of the touts who bought them to resell for a profit in the first place. Granted there are some people who'd rather buy them later, closer to the date, and don't mind paying over the odds, but I'm pretty sure most try and fail to get any at the general sale, and hence have to buy them off the secondary market.

Funnily enough, the laws of economy dictate that this secondary market actually determines the real price, i.e. the price people are willing to pay for the ticket, so I guess the real solution would be if every ticket (or indeed every good with a limited, finite supply) was sold in this way and therefore every penny of the profit is shared by the band and record company. However, the band/record label have collectively made the decision not to and are happy to sell at a fixed price. If this was enforced by the law of the land (like they've done with football tickets), then no one else would financially gain from the concert apart from the people involved, which is how it should be.

Yes, forcing people (who genuinely cannot make the gig) to resell at face value creates an artificial price with regards to market forces of supply and demand, but then it was an artificial price to begin with anyway. I guess it all boils down to ethics really more than economics.

It's ethics as well as economics.

But economics is the key part - the simple matter is that the touts only exist because people are willing to pay the extortionate prices. If everyone had a similar mindset to me, the touts would not exist as nobody would ever buy from them. I'd rather not go to the gig than pay £90 for a £45 ticket.

I even know of someone who bought tickets for a gig (not Muse) and the tickets then sold out. One of his friends made him an offer above face value and he accepted the offer as he wasn't that fussed. I can see you have a grasp of economics so you'll know that it's just market forces in action again, just from the other side.

Ticket agencies / bands can do all they like to stop this but the touts will always find a way. The photo ID idea is probably the only way to wipe it out, but it'll be so costly that everyone will end up paying even more inflated prices anyway, and defeat the point of it.

Of course I'm purely focussing on the traditional touts outside of the gig venues.

Then there's eBay. Part of me says they should point blank refuse to allow people to sell tickets for anything more than face value (+ service charge) and a reasonable delivery fee (i.e. no more than £5). Allowing people to list them with starting prices of over twice the face value is horrendous.

But at the same time, how is a ticket for a gig any different to any other commodity? People sell CDs for more than they cost originally. People sell first editions of novels for more than they cost originally. Does the fact the tickets have a price physically printed on them actually make any difference? It still ultimately boils down to whether people (are stupid enough to) pay for the tickets at silly prices.

What I cannot fathom is why there are already bids on some tickets when they haven't even gone on general sale yet!

Are people so dim as to not check the official ticket agencies first to see when they go on sale rather than assuming that because they're on eBay it must have sold out??:rolleyes:

People ARE so dim! That's why the touts are kept in business - people are morons!

• 2 weeks later...
That must suck if you bought fake tickets...

I was wondering if Muse would ever come to Massachusetts again..I heard they went to Boston for the BH&R tour, but they never came back :(

According to Ticketmaster, they're playing Boston on March 6th, at the TD Garden.

Presale starts Thursday at 10, regular on-sale is Saturday at 10.

As far as I'm aware you don't need a code for tomorrow's presale anyway. ;)

ha i just clicked on your link to see how much you raised with the set list (well done!) and ebay kindly suggested other things i may be interested in, including :

lionel ritchie crew shirt and setlist 2009 :eek:

ha i just clicked on your link to see how much you raised with the set list (well done!) and ebay kindly suggested other things i may be interested in, including :

lionel ritchie crew shirt and setlist 2009 :eek:

You know you want them ;)

We are all hardened Muse fans and are eagerly awaiting the pre sale ticket announcements. Anyone know if plans are in place to stop the plebs of this world buying OUR! pre-sale tickets to put on the bay? Seen it now with loads of gigs the pre sales are on the bay within an hour of release.

Should we have a condition of 6 months membership of fan club or more to qualify for pre-sales?

TICKETS FOR GENUINE FANS ONLY!!!:mad:

Yes, I just signed up for the muse message board today, but i've been here many times before. I do totally agree with you. I wanted tickets for the NYC show in march 2010 so badly but I don't think it's gonna happen because of these people who buy the tickets and sell them at outrageous prices. I've been pretty angry about it all day. It really isn't fair but I guess nothing ever is :(

Yes, I just signed up for the muse message board today, but i've been here many times before. I do totally agree with you. I wanted tickets for the NYC show in march 2010 so badly but I don't think it's gonna happen because of these people who buy the tickets and sell them at outrageous prices. I've been pretty angry about it all day. It really isn't fair but I guess nothing ever is :(

:( that totally does suck!

Paperless tickets for the win. Seriously bands need to start doing this NOW! It ensures the actual fans will get tickets and scalpers absolutely cannot do shit like that.

:( that totally does suck!

Paperless tickets for the win. Seriously bands need to start doing this NOW! It ensures the actual fans will get tickets and scalpers absolutely cannot do shit like that.

The only problem with paperless tickets is that if you need/want to resell your ticket becaus eyou can't go (and when I say resell I mean face value) you can't, can you?

The only problem with paperless tickets is that if you need/want to resell your ticket becaus eyou can't go (and when I say resell I mean face value) you can't, can you?

No you couldn't. Unless you show up w/ the person who you sold your "ticket" to and make the Credit Card scanner person scan your card.