The Definitive Pickup Wiring Thread

Neil.

Hey everyone, been reading through these threads and it's inspired me to pull out my old squier strat and spruce it up a bit. However I'm incredibly poor and have never opened up a guitar before but i do have a decent knowledge of electronics. Can anybody give me suggestions on simple, good and cheap mods I could pull of? I'm looking for good pickups I could put in there as well so any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers:happy:

good point..

found this,well, that's the review but it's on my local guitar stores website. Looks like it might be good, especially for KoC :happy: ... but i just check my bank and found out I hav half as much money as that costs:(

just gotta wait til thursday week now, by then I'll be on a holiday, so, a month before I can even do that :eek:

ummm not sure but from what I read all the coil stuff is for hunmbuckers--strats got single coils

and good idea for killswitch trad3mark, haven't looked it up yet but I'm sure i could do that for around $5 from Dick Smiths (lol at Aus electronics store name)

• 1 month later...

how would you go about wiring a mini toggle with a tone cap?

At the moment i've got the input to the 2nd lug on one side, the cap connected to the 1st and 3rd on the same side. Is that right, and where would i connect the output?

Cheers

OHAI

I have a set of new pickups for my LP on the way...they are braided two conductor. I can't do any phase switching or anything like that right?

i heard one of jimmy page's LP's had phase switching, but had T-top pickups....(I have a set of these, and they are braided two conductor)

could be false info though

• 1 year later...

A few questions, how will i wire 2 P90s at the bridge position in series with a sustainer pickup as well. Is it possible to have a 3 way toggle (series P90s position 1, and in position 3 the neck sustainer) basically like matts fist kaoss manson? Wiring diagrams? Cheers

the sustainer isn't a pickup. :facepalm:

I'll do my best to clear this up, before getting to your pickup wiring. The FSK401 (the single coil sized fernandes sustainer) comes with a driver (that's the single coil sized one) and a normal, standard, although reportadly shit, humbucker. The sustainer driver doesn't work AT ALL as a pickup, cos it's against it's theory of opperation, if you like.

The way a sustainer driver works is that it takes the signal from the other pickup, runs it through an amplifier, and then uses that to generate an electro-mag field around the strings. To make it all simpler to understand, look at it this way. Lets say you take a humbucker pickup, with an output of 10k (10,000 ohms). IF for some reason you went to measure the output/DC Resistance of the driver, it's going to be 8R (8 ohms). So yeah, it's not a pickup.

Now, if i'm correct in figuring out what it is you want set up, you want to be able to switch between the two p90's and/or the sustainer. You'll realistically need 2 switches. A toggle for the pickups (which there's countless ways of wiring it up) and at least 1 switch for the sustainer (on off, and if you want to use harmonic/mix/normal modes, that'll need another switch too). As far as wiring goes, the manual for the sustainer is pretty self explanitory. Where it uses humbuckers, you just use p90s. just be careful you check the colour codes for the pickups first!!

the sustainer isn't a pickup. :facepalm:

I'll do my best to clear this up, before getting to your pickup wiring. The FSK401 (the single coil sized fernandes sustainer) comes with a driver (that's the single coil sized one) and a normal, standard, although reportadly shit, humbucker. The sustainer driver doesn't work AT ALL as a pickup, cos it's against it's theory of opperation, if you like.

The way a sustainer driver works is that it takes the signal from the other pickup, runs it through an amplifier, and then uses that to generate an electro-mag field around the strings. To make it all simpler to understand, look at it this way. Lets say you take a humbucker pickup, with an output of 10k (10,000 ohms). IF for some reason you went to measure the output/DC Resistance of the driver, it's going to be 8R (8 ohms). So yeah, it's not a pickup.

Now, if i'm correct in figuring out what it is you want set up, you want to be able to switch between the two p90's and/or the sustainer. You'll realistically need 2 switches. A toggle for the pickups (which there's countless ways of wiring it up) and at least 1 switch for the sustainer (on off, and if you want to use harmonic/mix/normal modes, that'll need another switch too). As far as wiring goes, the manual for the sustainer is pretty self explanitory. Where it uses humbuckers, you just use p90s. just be careful you check the colour codes for the pickups first!!

Yeah i know that i was just under the impression that it could be used as a single coil, but im getting confused with the hb sized one. And yeah i just want it to have the 2 P90s wired in series using one 3 way toggle (obviously there will be two other/extra switches for the sustainer!) though i am not 100 percent sure that i will go with it, well thinking about it i dont have any use for one! (sorry that i just waisted you time :$)

So any ideas on wiring p90s in series (am i right in saying i need 4 wire conductor not two for series)

Yeah i know that i was just under the impression that it could be used as a single coil, but im getting confused with the hb sized one. And yeah i just want it to have the 2 P90s wired in series using one 3 way toggle (obviously there will be two other/extra switches for the sustainer!) though i am not 100 percent sure that i will go with it, well thinking about it i dont have any use for one! (sorry that i just waisted you time :$)

So any ideas on wiring p90s in series (am i right in saying i need 4 wire conductor not two for series)

Yeah 4 conductor. I'm not sure you can use a 3 way toggle for bride - series - "neck" though. You might need a seperate switch to go between series and parallel.

• 2 years later...

Hi all,

I'm currently building an MB1 replica but i don't know how to do some of the wiring :$

The first thing is how can i wire a 3 way toggle as a kill switch (simply coz i'm not the brightest of sparks.. as in can you tell me where the wires go.. I have an MBK2 bridge and a Fernandes sustainer 101 neck with a stereo jack)

The second is how do i wire my MBK2 into my sustainer?? Fernandes said that i need to use 1mm female to female couplers and that they'd sell them to me but i'd have to pay $20 for the shipping!! Could anyone point me towards a site with these couplers (in Britain preferably)..

Cheers :D

Manson_mb1_std.jpg.bd915f75ce59a90111781ffc82a59592.jpg

Ooh a custom guitar thread? Is this actually a thread for all custom guitar projects then? I'm confused, cos we have a wiring thread, a luthiery thread, watdafucksy

did someone say search? or did someone say spiderman thread?

(i got so excited when I saw "Custom guitars" but I was horribly let down. HORRIBLY.)

Oh no

people really should refer to the spidey wiring diagram. He had a twizztyy kaooodd pad WAAAY before matteh. even look at this for proof:

ncfc6e.jpg

just sayin is all.

In fairness, the interweb is littered with Kill Switch diagrams, and the FSK-401 comes with instructions on how to wire it up to a humbucker. Forgive me for being rude, but this needs a serious case of RTFM.

Archived