The Definitive Pickup Wiring Thread

Neil.

i understand that pretty much

but that means that there will be 1 pickup lead and one ground going in the middle?

wouldnt that kill the signal? :stunned:

No. That diagram Tom's drawn for you there will give you the neck pickup only in one switch position, and bridge pickup only in the other.

As you say there's ground from the neck and hot from the bridge going into the centre (common) pole of the switch but it won't kill the signal. Whichever pickup that wasn't selected would effectively be shorted out "behind" the switch but the output will be fine.

If you used an SPDT toggle with a central "off" position, this wiring scheme would then give you neck and bridge in series.

No. That diagram Tom's drawn for you there will give you the neck pickup only in one switch position, and bridge pickup only in the other.

As you say there's ground from the neck and hot from the bridge going into the centre (common) pole of the switch but it won't kill the signal. Whichever pickup that wasn't selected would effectively be shorted out "behind" the switch but the output will be fine.

If you used an SPDT toggle with a central "off" position, this wiring scheme would then give you neck and bridge in series.

ok..

so when the switch is in the middle, say, if you had the switch on the bridge position, when you switch it to the middle, it would still be the bridge.

and when you switch From the neck position, the middle position would mean neck?

so i cant do any funky neck and bridge in series stuff :(

and i know this is a really really silly question,

but is there any way to make the guitar sound like an acoustic without getting/making a piezo or using a acoustic simulator?

Wiring is allright,

but is the only way really to maybe use both treble and neck pickup and some boosted Treble on the clean tones?

EDIT: i got a really good acoustic-ish tone with my Strat, on the middle and neck split position (the one right before only neck)

but wouldnt it be better with treble pickup and neck?

That diagram I posted gives you:

Neck

Neck and Bridge together

Bridge

with an on/off/on switch (which I presume you have) and

Neck

Bridge

with an on/on switch

Pretty simple

I also don't think there is a way to "add treble" without adding an eq or something, tone pots only take treble away by bleeding it to ground.

so when the switch is in the middle, say, if you had the switch on the bridge position, when you switch it to the middle, it would still be the bridge.

and when you switch From the neck position, the middle position would mean neck?

No, that isn't it at all. Think about the switch in your head, picture how it works, and relate it to Tom's diagram.

If you have a three way switch with a middle "off" position, the centre (common) pole is completely isolated when the switch is in the middle.

As such, if you look at the wiring diagram, you then have the hot lead from the neck going out to the hot output. The ground from the neck pickup is joined to the hot of the bridge via the (isolated, remember) centre pole of the switch. The ground from the bridge then runs through the lower tab on the switch into your instrument ground.

so i cant do any funky neck and bridge in series stuff :(

Not correct. As Tom says, with this arrangement and the switch in the centre, you will get the neck and the bridge in series.

and i know this is a really really silly question,

but is there any way to make the guitar sound like an acoustic without getting/making a piezo or using a acoustic simulator?

That's a bit of a moot point. You can get a sound "like" an acoustic, as in something that sounds vaguely like it, but if you want to do it in a way that someone in the next room will actually believe you're playing an amplified acoustic, piezos are the way to go.

That diagram I posted gives you:

Neck

Neck and Bridge together

Bridge

with an on/off/on switch (which I presume you have) and

Neck

Bridge

with an on/on switch

Pretty simple

I also don't think there is a way to "add treble" without adding an eq or something, tone pots only take treble away by bleeding it to ground.

OH!

xD sorry lol

awesome

that rocks

THANKS!

No, that isn't it at all. Think about the switch in your head, picture how it works, and relate it to Tom's diagram.

If you have a three way switch with a middle "off" position, the centre (common) pole is completely isolated when the switch is in the middle.

As such, if you look at the wiring diagram, you then have the hot lead from the neck going out to the hot output. The ground from the neck pickup is joined to the hot of the bridge via the (isolated, remember) centre pole of the switch. The ground from the bridge then runs through the lower tab on the switch into your instrument ground.

Not correct. As Tom says, with this arrangement and the switch in the centre, you will get the neck and the bridge in series.

That's a bit of a moot point. You can get a sound "like" an acoustic, as in something that sounds vaguely like it, but if you want to do it in a way that someone in the next room will actually believe you're playing an amplified acoustic, piezos are the way to go.

oh i understand now :)

yea, im considering buying a Piezo bridge so i dont have to make one.

cheers!

• 3 months later...

Anyone have any clue how to wire 2 P90s to a 3 way toggle with a separate mini toggle to switch between series and parallel when in the centre position.

If that's not possible, any suggestions for alternatives are welcome :)

Thanks

Anyone have any clue how to wire 2 P90s to a 3 way toggle with a separate mini toggle to switch between series and parallel when in the centre position.

If that's not possible, any suggestions for alternatives are welcome :)

Thanks

Ideas attached. USE the second attachment! (serpal2).

"A": If the LP switch grounds the traditionally "switched off" contact then it will work like this:

DPDT | Selector | Output

Series "Neck" Bridge

Series Middle Series

Series "Bridge" Neck

Parallel "Neck" Off (Kill switch)

Parallel Middle Parallel

Parallel "Bridge" Off (Kill switch)

"B":

SPDT | Selector | Output

Series "Neck" Neck

Series Middle Neck

Series "Bridge" Series

Parallel "Neck" Neck

Parallel Middle Parallel

Parallel "Bridge" Bridge

It's impossible to do things right with this kind of switches. If you want to do it you must use some other kinds of switches. I recommend using rotary ones, e.g.:

http://www.hqelektronik.hu/info/hu/swr_3x4.html

3 blade to 4 position, and you wire the 4 positions: Bridge, Series, Parallel, Neck EASILY (and yes it's definitely Muse).

serpal.gif.addf1fb3276ca1c314c4c4f9f1ea618e.gif

serpal2.gif.a917c571c552d859adfb4d2264318613.gif

hey thanks a lot. i'm a little confused though. what exactly would each switch do? and what do the options mean '"Neck" Bridge' and '"Bridge" Neck'?

I really appreciate the help! :)

"Neck" Bridge means that the switch actually shorts the Neck pickup in Serial mode - turning it off completely. I written "Neck" Bridge, because this way when you switch to "Neck" pickup only the Bridge will be on, so that means that you should wire the LP switch reverse.

I triple checked my wiring ideas but I am not tested it so it's possible that they will not work. I recommend to use a rotary switch - not that fast switchable but It will work... Or if you are in to electronics, you could create some digital switching with solid state relays.

Looking forward to see your new guitar. Ever thinking about building a Bass?

"Neck" Bridge means that the switch actually shorts the Neck pickup in Serial mode - turning it off completely. I written "Neck" Bridge, because this way when you switch to "Neck" pickup only the Bridge will be on, so that means that you should wire the LP switch reverse.

I triple checked my wiring ideas but I am not tested it so it's possible that they will not work. I recommend to use a rotary switch - not that fast switchable but It will work... Or if you are in to electronics, you could create some digital switching with solid state relays.

Looking forward to see your new guitar. Ever thinking about building a Bass?

I wouldn't mind building a bass but having held a bass very little I wouldn't be too sure about getting the right feel...

hrm, is there anny way to get a master volume for that too?

The switch on Tom's schem doesn't actually switch the middle humbucker. The middle will be always on, but you could turn it down using it's own dedicated volume. This way you can use all possible combinations, including switching all 3 humbuckers on! A normal LP-type 3 way switch can't switch 3 pickups. My recommendation: go for this schem or buy a 5 way switch.

phill, I'm pretty sure that there's a way to wire yours the exact way you want it, and not using an LP switch if you don't want to btw...I'll have a think about it and get back to you :)

i've got a LP switch and a mini toggle. if it's possible i'd be very happy :)

Archived