2018.11.15 Pitchfork Review - Simulation Theory

JessicaSarahS

https://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/muse-simulation-theory/

"The lingering discrepancy between Muse’s popular and critical reputations comes from the fact that they have never before expressed humor in their own superhero cosplay, which by Drones entailed shiny suits and a stage made of magnets. They used to think they were Christian Bale’s Batman, and are starting to accept that it’s OK to be Adam West."

Did they not watch the video for Panic Station? :erm::LOL:

Have they never heard 'Knights of Cydonia'?

I've actually seen the claim that they take themselves too seriously around a fair bit recently, but aside from most of Drones, they've clearly had a vein of intentional Spinal Tap-esque ludicrousness and often self-deprecating humour running through every album from BH&R onwards. There's a lot I'd criticise latter-era Muse for, but being dour and not having a sense of humour is not one of them!

Have they never heard 'Knights of Cydonia'?

I've actually seen the claim that they take themselves too seriously around a fair bit recently, but aside from most of Drones, they've clearly had a vein of intentional Spinal Tap-esque ludicrousness and often self-deprecating humour running through every album from BH&R onwards. There's a lot I'd criticise latter-era Muse for, but being dour and not having a sense of humour is not one of them.

Exactly. I suppose Drones might have sapped a lot of humor out of previous eras for those that only remember things in the short term.

They’ve flip-flopped in between for about 10 years I’d say. Knights and Supermassive were openly silly but the rest of Black Holes wasn’t, TR probs took itself too seriously other than IBTY and mayyybe Eurasia, with T2L it was almost as if the point was to be as ridiculous as possible for most of the album, then Drones went back to taking the ‘concept’ quite seriously.