The Void

OriginOfAbso

Recs?

Perturbator, Dance With The Dead, Lazerhawk, Lost Years, Dynatron, GosT, Waveshaper, Sung, Daniel Deluxe, Makeup and Vanity Set, Wice, Carpenter Brut, Lueur Verte, etc.

Or just check New Retrowave Youtube channel.

There are so many layers and aspects of this song to enjoy.

I love how Matt delivers a different vocal tone for each chorus. The soft strings, the ominous synths and drums, beautiful piano and those wub wubs. Just a brilliant song and the acoustic version is equally great.

It's getting up there with Exo:Overture as my favourite slow muse song.

do any of you out there who plays keys know what chord is played at 2:05 and again at 2:18/19?

it's either just a very odd chord...or a mistake repeated. my ears are pretty good, but i can't figure it out.

there's also something wonky going on at 2:15.

another RBS-like piano-playing flub that matt decided to run with and keep on the recording?

maybe will have to wait until i obtain the sheet music to find out.

It’s an EbMaj7 in the acoustic version.

you are probably onto something. it just sounds weird to me in a lower octave for some reason. really weird. ...which is why matt probably picked it.

on the other hand, elton wrote some of his better (stranger/best) material in that key, so that prob explains why i latched onto it for some strange reason.

i still think something wonky is going on at 2:15.

sorry to get so technical in this thread all of a sudden. think i'll move into the tab board hereafter on this front.

I’m not hearing anything too weird at 2:15, it’s descending Eb-D-C octaves in bass possibly with a fifth being played. Then the chords follow the ascending bass line Cm - Eb(Maj7) - two bars of Gm. If it kept climbing to a Bb, we’d have Undisclosed Desires. :chuckle:

Also the chord there is Eb, but the song is in G minor, where Eb is the VI chord. The general chord progression includes D7 and D7b9 chords with the F# note borrowed from G harmonic minor. There’s also a descending Csus - C - Cm section on “these delusions” with an E natural borrowed from G Dorian (or F major).

We can talk about this here, it’s perfectly on-topic. :)

Edited by Espectro Cuatro

• 1 month later...