OriginOfAbso

Blockades

The only frustration I have with this song is in the chorus, on the repeat each time he sings a major third on “best”, rather than a minor, though I’m sure with repeated listens I’ll grow to appreciate the variety

Ace track though, every single section is killer

The only frustration I have with this song is in the chorus, on the repeat each time he sings a major third on “best”, rather than a minor, though I’m sure with repeated listens I’ll grow to appreciate the variety

Ace track though, every single section is killer

That exact line in the chorus is the one thing stopping me from loving this song as much as I want to. It just sounds wrong.

Yep, for example in Bliss and Screenager the direct switch from minor to major works really well, but for this song (especially only for one line in the chorus) it sounds a bit out of place imo

The only frustration I have with this song is in the chorus, on the repeat each time he sings a major third on “best”, rather than a minor

I actually fucking LOVE that :LOL:

Makes that line sound even more OTT motivational with the operatic delivery and Queen vocals. Gives me a shit-eating grin like no other.

To me, it's like one the worst songs on the record along with get up and fight :LOL: it looks like "Nowadays Muse" attempts to make some "Good Old Muse" but they just can't do it !

I actually fucking LOVE that :LOL:

Makes that line sound even more OTT motivational with the operatic delivery and Queen vocals. Gives me a shit-eating grin like no other.

Moreso than the chorus of Break It To Me? :eyebrows:

Also, as I said in the main ST thread, Blockades sounds like Muse covering Octavarium / Systematic Chaos era Dream Theater, which in turn was when Dream Theater openly spoke of being heavily influenced by Muse. There's massive circularity here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XeRg33VDFZE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MzovR0s7EbI

And this one too:

And I'm alright with it.

Moreso than the chorus of Break It To Me? :eyebrows:

BITM melts me to a puddle, Blockades makes me feel like I could fight a bear

I think the idea with a lot of the quick endings without big conclusions on this record was to pack as many different ideas into a lot of the songs as possible without ever hitting the 5 minute mark, and probably to give a sense of moving rapid fire from one idea to the next track by track.

I don’t think the abrupt-type ending does Assassin any harm, obviously it wouldn’t work on every track but I don’t have a problem with it on this one

Strangely thought of Abba's Money Money Money when I first heard this in a tired haze late last night.

Second listen is positive enough.

I suppose Assassin’s ending is rather abrupt, but weren’t we talking about Blockades?

Yeah I was comparing it to Assassin, saying that that style of ending doesn’t detract from the quality of the song for me

The verses are golden, and they make this song fucking brilliant for me. Threw me back to a couple of classic tracks as well.

But the choruses, just felt a little bit 'unusual'.