2018.12.09 - Chicago, IL - Aragon Ballroom

halo eighteen

• 4 weeks later...

From setlist.fm

Algorithm

[Drill Sergeant]

Psycho

Cherub Rock (The Smashing Pumpkins cover)

Uprising (Extended outro)

Break It to Me

Time Is Running Out

Pressure

Supermassive Black Hole

Madness

Stockholm Syndrome / Assassin / Reapers / The Handler / Dead Star / Micro Cuts / New Born

Starlight

Knights of Cydonia

Seriously relieved that I sold my tickets 3 weeks ago (in time to recoup my money before resale prices bottomed out) and didn't drive to Chicago for this BS. This looks like maybe a 75-minute set? Hard pass.

From setlist.fm

Algorithm

[Drill Sergeant]

Psycho

Cherub Rock (The Smashing Pumpkins cover)

Uprising (Extended outro)

Break It to Me

Time Is Running Out

Pressure

Supermassive Black Hole

Madness

Stockholm Syndrome / Assassin / Reapers / The Handler / Dead Star / Micro Cuts / New Born

Starlight

Knights of Cydonia

Seriously relieved that I sold my tickets 3 weeks ago (in time to recoup my money before resale prices bottomed out) and didn't drive to Chicago for this BS. This looks like maybe a 75-minute set? Hard pass.

Pretty sure at events like these they get told how long to play.

You do realise they get limited stage time at these big Xmas ‘festivals’, right? :erm:.

Muse have been doing these shows in the US for the best part of 15 years now and I think that’s the longest set I’ve seen at one. They’re not Muse headline performances, in so much as they’re now Muse’s show even if they are ‘headlining’. They’re not calling the shots.

I think given they probs had an hour’s stage time max (they had 50 mins at the one earlier this week), it’s a decent enough set - Algorithm, Break It To Me and Pressure from ST, a new cover, and the medley, which also contained some more Smashing Pumpkins according to setlist.fm.

Sounds decent to me.

I was at this gig and it was roughly 80- 90 minutes. I think it was the most interactive I've seen Matt at a Chicago show. The crowd was not great by any means but there were more people junping/singing than I've seen at previous Chicago shows. Matt said they'd be back in March but I saw a billboard tonight that said Simulation Theory World Tour April 12 at the United Center.

You do realise they get limited stage time at these big Xmas ‘festivals’, right? :erm:.

Maybe I sounded overly harsh but I wasn't completely holding it against the band. I understand the concept of the "big Xmas festivals" but this show only had 3 acts and Muse was the only noteworthy one. It seemed like they could've been given adequate time for a fuller set.

Either way, I kind of anticipated this scenario a few weeks ago. Unloading my tickets seemed like the better option than driving 3 hours each way to Chicago and back for a short show. In hindsight, I made the right decision.

Setlist.fm was updated since my original post with The Dark Side, T2L Unsustainable and TC plus a longer medley. Sounds like I commented too quickly. It's starting to look a little more like a proper headlining set.

Still... I'm kinda happy to be home in bed instead of driving home from Chicago right now. ;)

Edited by Nigel_Tufnel

Was gonna say if they really did have 80-90 mins, I would def agree with you what was there earlier would have been far too short.

That radio show in NY had all these bands...

AJR

Bastille

CHVRCHES

Death Cab for Cutie

Florence + the Machine

Foster the People

Mike Shinoda

Muse

The Chicago show only had a couple minor openers and thus my surprise at the alarmingly short set list that initially went up. I jumped the gun on my criticism. Not that the set was stellar or anything but acceptable for a pre-tour warmup gig.

Sorry fucking WHAT

I glanced at YT and didn't see it so I uploaded my recording of it. Here u go

Either way, I kind of anticipated this scenario a few weeks ago. Unloading my tickets seemed like the better option than driving 3 hours each way to Chicago and back for a short show. In hindsight, I made the right decision.

Lol, I was just the opposite. I knew this gig would be longer than than the NY gig but not normal length, but the fact it was at this smaller venue made me super excited. We had a weather situation here in NC and I had to change my flight because my original one got cancelled. And I'm SOOO glad I did. The crowd was great and the guys seemed really into it. :happy: My last few muse gigs were all from the seats so it was nice to get barrier for this last one before the proper tour starts. :D

The second song after Cherub Rock is "Quiet" , it's on "Siamese Dream" as well

Sounded good, if Matt will do it with lyrics next time, cool! :)

Edited by Claudia O.

Lol, I was just the opposite. I knew this gig would be longer than than the NY gig but not normal length, but the fact it was at this smaller venue made me super excited. We had a weather situation here in NC and I had to change my flight because my original one got cancelled. And I'm SOOO glad I did. The crowd was great and the guys seemed really into it. :happy: My last few muse gigs were all from the seats so it was nice to get barrier for this last one before the proper tour starts. :D

Glad you had a good time and hope you're having safe travels back to NC. Crazy weather down there.

In the past couple weeks, I've been to Detroit twice, Nashville for a few days and to Toledo OH for a variety of different things. I was planning to drive to Chicago for this concert, then back to Michigan right afterward and work Monday afternoon. Between the 3 hour drive, the hour time difference and the unpredictable weather, I just decided that it wasn't worth it. Especially at the risk of an abbreviated by-the-numbers set. It sounds like the show was decent enough but I don't regret missing it too much. I'll catch them in Detroit in April instead. Maybe I'll even start to like Simulation Theory by then.