2019.06.01 - London, UK - London Stadium

Jobby

Had a massive dilemma on my hands for tonight. 

Was supposed to be going to the gig with my kids, but as a lifelong Spurs supporter, decided to stay at home to watch  the Champions League final and let the Mrs take the kids.
Spurs lost, so was somewhat disappointed, but not to the point of regretting my decision. That was until I saw that they played Bliss and Showbiz!!!

My wife messaged me to say that the sound didn't seem to be up to the usual high standard of Muse. Also, I think that the Drones tour set the bar very high, and from what I have seen so far, the current tour doesn't quite reach the same level - I'd be interested to hear from those that saw both Drones and Simulation live.

1 minute ago, czuczu said:

They didnt play Showbiz. They did play Bliss

Ah, that lessens the disappointment a little.

I have seen Muse around 10 times, so it was pretty much a no brainer of a decision for me to make, ok it didn't end well for me, but I hope all you Musers had a fantastic time tonight.
Maybe I should look to see if there are any Bristol tickets available! 
Do you think that they will make Bristol even more special with some old gems?

It's textbook Muse album tour, no surprises, you know exactly what you're going to get. Thought the new stuff was better at RAH, the Absolution & BHAR stuff was great though - seriously good :)

The medley is still an elongated tease, should just play 2 of those songs properly and rotate them. Better than Drones but still no hype!

2 hours ago, GaryK26 said:

My wife messaged me to say that the sound didn't seem to be up to the usual high standard of Muse. Also, I think that the Drones tour set the bar very high, and from what I have seen so far, the current tour doesn't quite reach the same level - I'd be interested to hear from those that saw both Drones and Simulation live.

Enjoyed tonight quite a lot more than I thought I would.  I'm no setlist snob, and was quite happy with what we had.

The Drones shows did indeed set the bar high, and this one didn't beat that - not least as it was a vast stadium show.  But plenty of bells and whistles to keep us all amused.  Started off the day wondering if it might be my final "must go" Muse show, but ended the night looking forward to next time!  There's clearly life in the old dog yet...

IMG_20190601_210615354.jpg

....they did play Newborn too though :D the mix was amazing. i thought the quality was amazing. they seemed to be having a few laughs and really enjoying it too, which was great! difficult to compare with Drones if 360 as this stadium is massive. it was just brilliant! 

Got back from the gig a little while ago.  Decided not to queue once we found out we'd have to go in at Bridge 1 and then run to our turnstile on the other side of the stadium -- that plus 500 VIPs means chance of barrier for us = zero.  I've never actually done a Muse gig from the back of the floor and it's not an experience I want to repeat 😉

My biggest takeaway (other than OMG Bliss!) was how *tiny* the screen looked from the back.  It looked ridiculous in that huge stadium with nothing else around it.  I guess they made the catwalk a little longer but didn't scale up anything else?  Is it a budget issue?  Seeing Murph in an arena is breathtaking because he fills the entire stage and looks gigantic from every seat.  Here, not so much.  You'd think in a venue this size where the seats are so far away from the stage that they would have adjusted things somewhat?

The performance itself was great I thought.  Loved Tom Morello too

Glad to see they suddenly discovered how to add songs despite the ~super tight production with no flexibility~ Hmm

Edited by hyena17
stuff
  • Like 1

My god the London Stadium is garbage. For a stadium opened this decade, there is really nothing impressive about it at all. Cramped concourses, short and wide inside, and one hell of a bastard walk back to the tube. I hope Muse never play here again. Probably second only to Alexandra Palace as my least favourite venue.

Aside from that, the show was fantastic. Being my first time seeing Muse since 2017, it was great to hear all the new songs live, and all the other stuff sounded great. Really enjoyed the visuals too. Ace show.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, musefanlondon said:

My god the London Stadium is garbage. For a stadium opened this decade, there is really nothing impressive about it at all. Cramped concourses, short and wide inside, and one hell of a bastard walk back to the tube. I hope Muse never play here again. Probably second only to Alexandra Palace as my least favourite venue.

Aside from that, the show was fantastic. Being my first time seeing Muse since 2017, it was great to hear all the new songs live, and all the other stuff sounded great. Really enjoyed the visuals too. Ace show.

Yup... Took us nearly 3 hours to get back to Victoria from Stratford...Strangely, when I saw the foos there last year it was a lot more streamlined and didn't take anywhere near as long, someone dropped the ball...Eventually rolled into Brighton at 3am...nearly died from being in the mosh pit for an hour and a half... But a crackin night all the same... 

I thought the production was amazing, loved it. I was in the front pit about two rows from the barrier... but I have to say I was a bit disappointed in the crowd. There was no ‘surge’ to the front when muse came on which meant a lot of people just stood static rather than dancing around. That’s part of the experience!

10 hours ago, hyena17 said:

Got back from the gig a little while ago.  Decided not to queue once we found out we'd have to go in at Bridge 1 and then run to our turnstile on the other side of the stadium -- that plus 500 VIPs means chance of barrier for us = zero.  I've never actually done a Muse gig from the back of the floor and it's not an experience I want to repeat 😉

My biggest takeaway (other than OMG Bliss!) was how *tiny* the screen looked from the back.  It looked ridiculous in that huge stadium with nothing else around it.  I guess they made the catwalk a little longer but didn't scale up anything else?  Is it a budget issue?  Seeing Murph in an arena is breathtaking because he fills the entire stage and looks gigantic from every seat.  Here, not so much.  You'd think in a venue this size where the seats are so far away from the stage that they would have adjusted things somewhat?

The performance itself was great I thought.  Loved Tom Morello too

Glad to see they suddenly discovered how to add songs despite the ~super tight production with no flexibility~ Hmm

just say it, gigs like in Graz suit the production more than stadiums! Strange cause this IS a stadium- tour 😨

It was about time that I finally went to a Muse gig. In a way though, I'm glad - Because this was definitely a memorable first gig for me. For the first couple of songs I was worried that where I was in the crowd was a bad choice because nobody was getting up. But then Uprising came on, and loads more people got up; It was only such an amazing feeling, that unanimous sense of enjoyment. The same thing happened with SMBH.

Then Bliss came on, and I literally sung my entire soul out. It was a brilliant night with a brilliant setlist.  

What a nightmare venue. I’ve fractured a bone in my foot but was not going to let that stop me going! But what a bloody hike to the stadium. 

I felt a bit let down at the start, mainly because I didn’t get the massive rush of Adrenalin that I used to get at a gig. I think this is because I’m now a knackered single mum rather than being young, free and single! But then they played Super Massive Black Hole and I was back in the zone. Once they played Bliss I was complete. I loved the medley and Knights of Cydonia is always a winner to finish. Band seemed to be rather more chatty than usual! Even my boyfriend enjoyed it, and he’s a Spurs fan! 

What an incredible night. 

First Muse gig since O2 Arena 2012. First gig since December 2012 too. 😰

Did anyone have their tickets checked regarding turnstiles? I queued at the correct turnstile on my ticket and it wasn't checked. I could have queued at any of the turnstiles for standing. When I was trying to find the correct turnstile I could have slipped into a queue and got in sooner. Seems that was poor planning and perfect for chancers. Getting back to the station was a pain. I was running. I wonder if they could have had a route for Stratford International and a route for Stratford. Stewards helped me so thanks to them.

Excellent gig though. I thought the sound inside was excellent for a stadium. One group of people were a bit leary trying to mosh to a point they were annoying people. One woman had proper go at them and a fight nearly broke out at one point. Distracts you from the songs that.

I was happy with the set list. The melodies are fun and you get to hear riffs you may never hear, but I would rather they play songs in full and rotate the list for gigs. I really thought they were gonna play Futurism when Dom and Chris started. 😪 Would have loved Citizens but I've heard it twice. I got to hear some Drones tunes (I missed that tour) and loved hearing their new songs. Dig Down is beautiful the way they played it and the Stadium response with their phones was brilliant. One guy went old school with a lighter so shout out to him.  I love Pwopaganda and it's awesome played live! Dancers are cool, adds to the theme. Murph is beautiful. The CGI on the screen was amazing.

Tom Morello was brilliant, pretty cool you get to see him and Muse in one day. His choir were fun too. 😂

One thing that really bugs me, PHONES! I never understand why people must film everything. Do people keep every piece of recorded footage? When you want to watch the band it's highly irritating to have someone's phone disrupting your view. Can understand people taking the odd photo here and there. I tend not to bother with that anymore as bands take there own professional shots. Anyone agree there?

When Matt said “this is better than Wembley” (or words to that affect), my feelings were “if only”🤔 Yes, it was a good gig visually, but such a safe set list. Great that they put Bliss in (no balls though?), but Madness AND Undisclosed Desires? Come on!! I had my toilet break in the latter song (jeepers it’s awful). Loved Take A Bow and Unsustainable....brilliant! Fair play, I thought the crowd were really into it on the pitch...unfortunately I hurt my back and had to go up into the seats, but hey ho! As soon as we heard the harmonica, we were out of there, I needed to get back to my hotel quickly (so did a few hundred others apparently). So glad I did, cos I could see it was going to be a nightmare for the majority......I was tucked up in bed by 11.10, lovely jubbly!! 😁

All in all, a pretty good gig...... not excellent, but it will suffice for now! 

Highlight: Take A Bow (just brilliant and those visuals.....wow!)

Lowlight: Undisclosed Desires (Why Matt, why??)

7 out of 10

• Like 1

Great gig, worst event management I’ve ever seen. At least for the setup letting the first batches of crowd in, can’t speak for people arriving later or in seats. Bafflingly braindead and actively dangerous, spoilt my night personally. Will be avoiding that venue like the plague in future.

Also happy Bliss was in (not sure where reports for Showbiz came from, defo wasn’t soundchecked) but mainly want more ST songs in rotation. Hopefully we see something by Manchester.

Legged it during last knights chorus, stomped it back to car in plenty of time, thinking omg yes M8 we're gonna avoid the rush... took us two fucking hours just to be able to move our car. Didn't get home till 3am.

Totally worth it

Edited by Gemsy
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Gemsy said:

Legged it during last knights chorus, stomped it back to car in plenty of time, thinking omg yes M8 we're gonna avoid the rush... took us two fucking hours just to be able to move our car. Didn't get home till 3am.

Totally worth it

Same here. We were stuck at the top of the Westfield car park for 2 hours.

• Sad 1

17 hours ago, GaryK26 said:

Had a massive dilemma on my hands for tonight. 

Was supposed to be going to the gig with my kids, but as a lifelong Spurs supporter, decided to stay at home to watch  the Champions League final and let the Mrs take the kids.
Spurs lost, so was somewhat disappointed, but not to the point of regretting my decision. That was until I saw that they played Bliss and Showbiz!!!

I was at the back of the lower tier directly facing the stage. I have mild hearing loss in my right ear and moderate hearing loss in my left ear. I removed my hearing aids and listened with earplugs in. It didn't sound right so I removed the plug from my left ear.  It sounded great then! The ambulant disabled seating was great but venue staff didn't seem to know what 'ambulant disabled' means.  Because I was in a fold-up wheelchair I was directed to a wheelchair space. Tom Morello was so loud they couldn't hear me saying, no, my seat is in row 23. I'm going to get out of this wheelchair. They got it in the end. I wish they'd pointed out that there was an accessible toilet directly behind block 149 - we were in block 150 - so we went to the one outside the entrance to our block first.  There was a queue. It was a pain in the arse having to store the wheelchair five blocks away .  Most venues allow me to leave it close to the area where I am sitting. My son had to go and get it the second time I needed the loo. Luckily he saw the accessible toilet by block 149 then so I didn't have to bother him again as I can walk that far.

I loved the set.  I'm sorry if people further back found the screen small. I remember being on the top tier of the Etihad Stadium for the 2nd Law tour. If I hadn't been able to see the screen, there would have been no point being there.

We travelled from Burnt Oak Broadway by train then from St Pancras, again by train, to Stratford International.  No hassle at all. On the way back there was very little time to wait at  Stratford. There was a 30 minute wait for a train from St Pancras so we got the tube to Edgware.  No hassle.  Journeys to and from the stadium took just over an hour.

I saw Drones live and it was wonderful but I wasn't disappointed in the staging for this.  I preferred the Etihad Stadium to this one, though.  Too damn big.

Next tour I hope they come to Cardiff instead of going to Bristol again.  We have a fabulous stadium here and I don't think they've played here since 2010, before I became a fan.

We've been kettled trying to get out before so we bailed when the harmonica came out.. Bridge 5 to Stratford and DLR to West Ham  - got there b4 11 :)

Crazy twitter footage of the rush for barrier and everyone ignoring the circle, people were still just strolling into the circle on Chris' side at 5.30 :/