Reddit vs the Muse board

Citizen_Eraser

I think the only 6 people who ever openly liked Aftermath are the ones who still back it now tbh

Something off T2L would be a better example for that

Edit: totally unrelated but this shit is why I will never join the reddit, I would rather remain on this board until it’s literally a desolate wasteland where every thread is me talking to myself

Lol I’ve never used reddit and saw that last night and had basically the same reaction.

What's wrong with reddit? I think it's fine as a whole, bar the childish approach to statements they disagree with.

They have extremely shitty taste and cope very hard when a new muse song comes out and it’s bad. They downvote you to oblivion if you disagree with anyone.

The interface is kinda what I think influences the communities in ways I dislike. Voting systems always end up encouraging posts that aim for the discrete numerical response instead of quality of the resulting thread. Also the usenet style is very impersonal where the forum has more personality. They have good resources though, since they're now the biggest community.

Because of the way she express herself? C'mon.

wasn't referencing her. just a general comment.

The interface is kinda what I think influences the communities in ways I dislike. Voting systems always end up encouraging posts that aim for the discrete numerical response instead of quality of the resulting thread. Also the usenet style is very impersonal where the forum has more personality. They have good resources though, since they're now the biggest community.

all true, plus...i'd like to think the people still on here are those who, on the whole, have more balanced perspectives on, well, just about everything -- muse or otherwise.

Honestly, people have balanced out a lot more. Maybe some of it is people getting older but another was a general calming by some regulars that influenced others. But before there was plenty of the content people deride Reddit for having, some of it being because those people went there from here.

all true, plus...i'd like to think the people still on here are those who, on the whole, have more balanced perspectives on, well, just about everything -- muse or otherwise.

Honestly, people have balanced out a lot more. Maybe some of it is people getting older but another was a general calming by some regulars that influenced others. But before there was plenty of the content people deride Reddit for having, some of it being because those people went there from here.

100%, big reason I back the board as the best place for Muse discussion. People on the outside still seem to have this perception it’s like it was 10 years ago though.

I think it is mainly ‘cos a lot of us have been around for so long. Back then, the band’s sound changes and setlist/live show moaning was still relatively new. The people who are stuck around through the years of that have come out the other end adjusted and maybe more open as well (if only a smidge tee hee).

Is there any source for Get Up and Fight being the next single?

Sticker on the album, probably expected with a feature like Tove Lo and going by descriptions.

Presumptuously calling it a ‘hit single’ before it’s actually been released like

I think it is mainly ‘cos a lot of us have been around for so long. Back then, the band’s sound changes and setlist/live show moaning was still relatively new. The people who are stuck around through the years of that have come out the other end adjusted and maybe more open as well (if only a smidge tee hee).

There is a bit of an aging sense. Non-Muse especially has aged quite literally and are resultingly peaceful.

But there was some immediate influences of things. Like an example when Tjet started really going on about subjectivity after a few months I'd see other users using the same defense, and I'd not seen that before.

I like it. I was never into the elitism or super negativity. I just wish there were more people.

This - I barely log on to here at all nowadays. And so I havent really for the past couple of months / few years. I remember back with the release of 2nd Law there was a lot of negativity here regarding Muse work, lots of harsh criticism and people were not able to take in the opinion of people who like how Muse are progressing and steadily keep "evolving" (which is up to debate of course).

So since there is barely newer news here than on reddit - why bother - so I figured. B/c of the above reasons.

EDIT: On topic: Some super cool synthy shit going on with Muse. Its not what I hoped for but I am digging it. But I am also a sucker for anything that has relation to 80s synth vibes. And I love their theme overall of this album again. Cant wait!

I believe this is what the youths refer to as "shots fired".

I felt like creating a separate thread for this (especially with this title) would be a bad idea for exactly this reason.

Not ‘cos people from the Reddit will do us an ‘epic burn lol’ with top text/bottom text memes, but because it’ll create a needless sense of conflict/competition that’ll no doubt result in cringy shit I’d rather not see.

I avoid the Reddit to be safe from that ffs

Yeah ultimately it's hard to really hate the place that contains the largest current community of the fanbase, since at some point it becomes too hard to generalize. I just don't like the website itself. I've had enough of the former Muse/Non-Muse internal war to suddenly wage one on an external place.

I once did see a comment saying the board felt like more about humble-bragging (or maybe not so humbly) about the gigs you've been too and that is probably the most fair reason I've seen for someone to avoid this place.

Edited by Kueller917

I once did see a comment saying the board felt like more about humble-bragging (or maybe not so humbly) about the gigs you've been too and that is probably the most fair reason I've seen for someone to avoid this place.

i guess that's true. then again, it's hard to ignore that most of the remaining active members here have seen the band the most times.

i've seen statements on reddit about how (generally speaking) muse forum members are often seen as elitist. perhaps that's indeed a reason why.

there also might be an element of not wanting one to dip his/her toes into a "club" (i.e. the muse forum), at this point, which has been around for essentially the balance of muse's existence.

even i felt that way (dunno why -- most people here don't bite) even back in 2006 (when i finally joined) after lurking here for a few years.

Ya think? I honestly feel like I’ve seen v little of that in my time here.

Most likely place to find it would be in the ‘songs you’ve seen’ thread and most of that, other than the lists, is just people saying “oh I’m jealous you got that” and vice versa iirc.

The main criticisms on that Reddit thread seem to be that we’re the most entitled section of fans and that it’s dead or ‘just the same 12 people talking about the same things over and over again’. The first part I might actually agree with tbh but I think the latter’s massively exaggerated. It’s nowhere near as active as it used to be, sure, but there’s still new users coming in, a steady stream of new posts and I think the discussion here is actually maybe the most varied of all platforms, which the format helps a lot with. One of the most mind numbing things about Reddit imo is the sheer number of repeated ‘album/song competition/survival’ threads.

Edited by Jobby

From what I've seen of it, the sub seems full of a lot more new fans who are happy to rank T2L or Drones above the big 3 and unironically make threads called stuff like "Big Freeze Appreciation Post". I think their conception of the band - what they want it to represent, what they expect from it in terms of genre/mood/lyrics/purpose etc - is different to that of people who have been through tonnes of album release cycles, like a lot of people here.

Also, they can't deal with the kind of shit that gets thrown at some songs on here, which is frustrating. Just because someone else calls a song shit shouldn't affect your enjoyment of it... and you also shouldn't be censored/downvoted for saying you don't like a song if you don't (which was what stopped me from bothering to go on there)

Finally, that pun thread just looks like a bunch of 12 year olds having gr8 laffs on the internet for the first time (... I really hope they're 12 and not adults)

I'll try to not be biased here (I mod that shit place :LOL: ). But both places have their place in the community and I feel like it comes down to preference. Reddit is terrible for having on-going discussion because of how posts die out after 24 hours because of algorithm, but it's good for quality content (when it gets posted). I've only joined the boards only recently, but I feel like the people here are more knowledgeable about Muse (more people that have been around longer) than on Reddit, and it is refreshing to visit this place not having to mod it. :LOL: I mostly use Reddit nowadays for everything community wise, I used to be a forum person before that. Currently this board is the only forum I browse.

edit: changed "oldfags" to "people that have been around longer" to avoid confusion

Edited by ncla