Just bought a Laney bass amp, is it good?

JackAndrews

Well, your 1 x 12" combo probably isn't powerful enough to cover all your lows. If you had something like a shroeder (sp?) 1 x 12" and a head, then that would be powerful enough for everything. If you fancy a bi-amp set up, I would get a cheapish 1 x 15" combo at least 200W and add a guitar 1 or 2 x 12" combo at least 50W.

If you like your current combo, you could add a 1 x15" or 1 x 12" extension cab to it and that would help a lot.

Yeeeeah, I like what I've got at the moment, it all comes out surprisingly well, I think. But yeah, I'd love for the lows to be handled better, so it looks like I'll be looking at a 1x15 cab at some point. Most likely Christmas, judging from the money situation, and given it's nonetoofar away now.

Also, MY PHASER CAAAME! :D MXR Phase 90, sounds sweeeeeet!

Well, your 1 x 12" combo probably isn't powerful enough to cover all your lows. If you had something like a shroeder (sp?) 1 x 12" and a head, then that would be powerful enough for everything. If you fancy a bi-amp set up, I would get a cheapish 1 x 15" combo at least 200W and add a guitar 1 or 2 x 12" combo at least 50W.

If you like your current combo, you could add a 1 x15" or 1 x 12" extension cab to it and that would help a lot.

would you recommend getting a smaller speaker (e.g. 1x10" extension cab?) just for the use of micing it up live?

would you recommend getting a smaller speaker (e.g. 1x10" extension cab?) just for the use of micing it up live?

Are you talking about getting more top end? I would just EQ that before the DI you give the soundman. If you had the 1 x10" on a crossover, it would give you a lot more top end, but as you probably don't have that option I don't think it will make a significant difference to your tone.

IMHO when it comes to bass tone, you have to either get your sound right before it goes into your amp(s) and give the soundman a DI, or you have to get it right coming out of the amps and get the soundman to mic it. It's a lot simpler and easier for gigging if you do the first option.

Obviously if you get your signal perfect and then feed it to a shit rig, you'll probably start fucking with it again and then the soundman will have a shit DI signal, so a flattish rig is necessary if you want to do that.

what I do when I play live using is a crossover of DI and Mic to get my sound. However I prefer mic'ing a 10" speaker over a 15" speaker. So that's why I'm wondering about that, because a 15" speaker sounds really badass on stage but I'd prefer to keep my rig low on weight so if I could use a 1x10" instead of a 2 or 4x10" that'd save me some backinjuries :p (currently looking to replace everything ampwise).

If you get a cab with a neo speaker it won't weight much. You can get light 1 x 15"s these days!

I think if you had just a 1 x 10" micd, and a DI through the PA, then it would probably osund great front-of-house but you wouldn't hear the low end on stage, which would be frustrating.

If you like the sound of a 15", either a neo 1 x 12" or 1 x 15" would be your best bet.

well that's what I meant.. i like the 15" on stage but I would want a 10" for micing

15" + 10" miced ?

Right, a bit of a language barrier here I think!

I thought that you were happy with your sound using a 1 x 15" but wanted something lighter.

Yes, if you already know that you like the sound of a mic on a 10" then get a 1 x 10" and put it ontop of your 15". EQ the bass out of the mic'd signal and use the DI for all the bottom end.

Your main problem is this - if you have an equal amount of power going to a 15" and a 10", and you turn it up, chances are you'll blow the 10". I don't know enough about power rating and impedence etc to give you anything definitive here. I reckon some 1 x 10"s would be fine, and most 2 x 10"s would be fine. It really depends on your amp. What is it?

EDIT: The advantage of using two amps is that you have two completely different power sections so you can use whatever combination of 2 speaker set-ups you want without worrying about blowing them up.

So, I'm thinking of getting an extension cab on my combo (Electric Blue, 12" so a 15" is in order, really).

Do I have to match the Impedence ratings on the ext. cab? Or can they be higher or lower?

/electronics n00b

EDIT: While the above question applies, what's the consensus on the following:

http://www.thomann.de/gb/peavey_115tvx_4ohm.htm? Bearing in mind I'm looking for more bottom end than anything else.

Matt - Sorry, I was getting you mixed up with SS - you're talking about making a whole new rig! Cool. Well, perhaps a 1 x 15" cab with a tweeter in it would suit you? You could have the tweeter miced.

SS - I really like peavey cabs. Their 1 x 15"s deffinitely have plenty of low end. I would try and fine a used one though, you'd save money.

EDIT: And take Matt's advice, check out the section on impedence on http://www.basschat.co.uk

SS - I really like peavey cabs. Their 1 x 15"s deffinitely have plenty of low end. I would try and fine a used one though, you'd save money.

EDIT: And take Matt's advice, check out the section on impedence on http://www.basschat.co.uk

Took a look on eBay for some used Peavey cabs, one caught my eye, looks pretty good.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&Item=130261579598&Category=58719&_trksid=p3907.m29

Thing is, I'm thinking Christmas, so with the bidding ending on Thursday, that's not particularly useful for me. P'raps I should wait closer the time?

• 1 year later...

Archived