2018.12.03 Royal Albert Hall The Prince’s Trust charity Gig London, UK

MVP1994

Well, that left me torn in so man ways.

Upsides:

- Algorithm; needed more b33f but was a really nice opener. Matt added some piano flourishes. Felt a bit odd though not having piano centre stage as he had to keep going back and forth.

- Break It To Me; unfffff, so good.

- Showbiz; because Showbiz...

- Psycho; sounded just as massive as usual, with the added bonus of everyone in the room going wild for it

- Plug In Baby, Uprising, Time Is Running Out, Supermassive; because these are the 'right' old songs to play, they still get great reactions. Hysteria would be as welcome as any, ofc, as would Bliss, Map, Dead Inside, etc.

- No Madness, Dig Down, Undisclosed, etc. The actual song selection overall was pretty okay.

Downsides:

- Unsustainable; the song no-one wanted back really does seem to be back.

- Thought Contagion; it's just fucking shite.

- Matt prancing around like a dick. Just play your fucking guitar - look how wild everyone went WHEN YOU PLAYED YOUR GUITAR in the medley.

- The medley; it's an inelegant solution to a problem that shouldn't exist. The band had (and always have) masses of stage time, they could have just played three of the five in full and interspersed them in the set. Also, by seeing bits of 6/7 songs, you feel simultaneously like you've seen half a dozen songs and no songs. It just didn't leave any lasting satisfaction for me.

- No Something Human; yes, really, I was looking forward to hearing it

- The length; this is the real killer for me. The band were on a shade before 9pm; Chris was tooting on his harmonica by 10.07pm (I have a message record of the moment!). Throw in Unsustainable (after six songs) and Isolated System (after a few more) and an encore break and you really do boil down to only about an hour of actual material.

Edited by Clunge

Ya boi only got a drumstick :love:

Some beautiful human being caught it before me with all the limbs but gave it back when he realised I had a sign for it and Dom was trying to reach me. Told him most people would’ve kept it, kissed him. Legends only

Thought it would open the encore ‘cos they did test the intro synth to it v briefly on the piano before the gig

Were you the guy with the long(ish) hair?!

Yeah i noticed them too. Thought i saw Jobby saying there were protest signs being handed out near him, but couldn't see what the signs said.

I had to laugh at the mosh pit during Cock. What happens when a mosh pit turns into ring-a-ring-a-roses haha

That was the front row crew, the ones who go and queue. They have a little campaign going on. Controversial... I Saw a big stack of them on the floor outside so I wondered if they weren't allowed.

That was the front row crew, the ones who go and queue. They have a little campaign going on. Controversial... I Saw a big stack of them on the floor outside so I wondered if they weren't allowed.

Ah right. I must say that I don't think the band really took much notice, to be honest:(

Not that it really effects me, I am up in the God's at London Stadium anyway :LOL:

That medley sounded like something that I would play on guitar. Only because I muddle around just long enough to learn some riffs and can't be arsed to master entire songs.

Sadly, it feels like the band is acknowledging that their fans still want to hear the older heavy songs but they just don't really care to showcase them. It will only seem worse in the US when they play obligatory full versions of Madness, UD, Resistance, Mercy etc. and then storm through a mish-mash of their best songs.

I honestly feel bad for the people that feel they HAVE to have the barrier for gigs

It looks super painful being crushed for the entire gig, and you have no room to move. Made it to the barrier once at Iron Maiden but couldnt hack more than 5mins, it just wasn't fun...

Not to.mentiom the hours of queuing in cold and losing a days pay!

It looks super painful being crushed for the entire gig, and you have no room to move. Made it to the barrier once at Iron Maiden but couldnt hack more than 5mins, it just wasn't fun...

Not to.mentiom the hours of queuing in cold and losing a days pay!

You have arm space though. In a rough crowd barrier is better than being like 2 rows behind it.

Matt's voice sounded pretty good on the whole tonight though.

^

Showbiz falsetto sounded incredible

Were you the guy with the long(ish) hair?!

I...wouldn’t say so, no :chuckle:

Was right over in front of chris

They were, it was just a security guy who thought the woman handing them out was some stranger handing out flyers. Someone else couldn’t be arsed holding them so chucked it