Simulation Theory tour discussion

Jobby

Oh shit. I just Googled that.

Wtf?

Those 2 usually do some silly pop song from the country they play in without much practice and that works when it's a silly song like Amadeus in Vienna or Jožin z bažin in Prague but you can't do that with Prince really :LOL:

Ew. There's approximately a million better things they could do in Detroit than Ted Nugent. Iggy Pop, White Stripes, MC5, Madonna, Alice Cooper, Bob Seger, anything Motown. Even Kiss' Detroit Rock City would work.

Yeah, fuck Ted Nugent really. (Kid Rock too, for that matter)

They could do that Verve Pipe song. Everyone knows it but I forget what it's called. The Freshman?

I think the little home town tribute is a cool idea actually. Arctic Monkeys did the White Stripes in Detroit. I know that Springsteen did a similar routine on his last big tour. If the Boss can cover Lorde in New Zealand, I'm sure Muse could come up with something fun.

Edited by Nigel_Tufnel

algorithm live needs a bit of work, from what i've seen/heard.

this song is, undoubtedly, an almost exclusively matt-centric track. it's his time to show off versatility. and that needs to be ramped up.

so, i have no problem with matt bouncing back and forth between two instruments; the issue is: i think he also needs a guitar on his back, à la new born live.

instead of just going out to the crowd and fist pumping in certain sections (à la starlight live), he needs to be playing those guitar chords to amplify the sound. if that happened he'd be playing three instruments in the span of four minutes. and still have opportunities to be front and center in parts.

also, the "thumping" from both chris and dom's play needs to be in the mix significant enough to the point where the undercurrent, so to speak, is pounding in everyone's chest.

leave it up to marc to make it all work, lol.

problems solved.

I think big guitar chords would maybe kill it a bit tbh. It being synth/bass dominant sets it apart imo, it’s just those elements that needs to be beefed up a bit.

Anyone remember if Matt gave some kinda timeline for the Japan tour when he mentioned it a while back? Wondering if it might be timed around that Singapore gig in late September. Would be cool if it was a chunky 4/5 shows, not done one that extensive since BH&R iirc. Would make for a cool experience to potentially go over and experience the whole thing as well.

Edited by Jobby

You know he's used the Kaoss pad a few times since it's installation, and now with a proper song in Break it to Me. But he really stopped with the internal Fuzz Factory didn't he? The last song was Blackout and he even stopped playing guitar at all there. I want more crazy feedback.

That's the problem that a lot of these bands have when they are bigger in Europe and elsewhere than they are in the US. They get it in their head that they are worth a certain price, and ticket prices have to reflect that price. The fact of the matter is that Muse are NOT a big band in the US. They had some success on alternative formats, and rode a wave of popularity for awhile due to their involvement in the Twilight Movies. But their last "hit" in the US was "Madness". That's not so much Muse's fault, as I think "Pressure" would've been a hit 5 years ago. Rock music is just not popular now. Muse are definitely one of the most popular rock bands from the 00's.

Muse need to be charging MUCH less for these tickets. Wouldn't it be better to charge $30 and fill the arena up?

That's the problem that a lot of these bands have when they are bigger in Europe and elsewhere than they are in the US. They get it in their head that they are worth a certain price, and ticket prices have to reflect that price. The fact of the matter is that Muse are NOT a big band in the US. They had some success on alternative formats, and rode a wave of popularity for awhile due to their involvement in the Twilight Movies. But their last "hit" in the US was "Madness". That's not so much Muse's fault, as I think "Pressure" would've been a hit 5 years ago. Rock music is just not popular now. Muse are definitely one of the most popular rock bands from the 00's.

Muse need to be charging MUCH less for these tickets. Wouldn't it be better to charge $30 and fill the arena up?

Problem is if you charge $30 a ticket for an arena show, the band makes ZERO money. It's super expensive to do an arena tour.

Problem is if you charge $30 a ticket for an arena show, the band makes ZERO money. It's super expensive to do an arena tour.

The band makes $0 off an unsold seat.

I meant charge $30 for upper levels, so that people might actually buy them.

I don't understand the logic behind charging those high prices for the upper level when they KNOW they won't sell them. I guess they don't really care about filling the venues. It pisses me off because they don't come to Ohio anymore, because they can't fill an arena there at those prices.

Yeah, honestly it should be pretty clear that $125 tickets to see Muse just aren't going to sell well in the US. They're even less popular now than they were during T2L, for which I think I paid $70-something for a GA ticket.

A nice theatre show with an orchestra behing them is a dream show for me! One day this will happen i guess, and i will be there!

Man, the US gigs aren't selling well at all. Muse playing to half empty arenas? WTF?

Doesn't help that the new album is...well, it is what it is.

I'm a fan and I have tickets but I can't say that I'm massively stoked for it or anything. Just going because it's Muse and I'm hopeful that they'll pull off something cool.

Casual fans willing to wait will likely be able to score half price tickets on Groupon as the dates approach.

But has it though? Aside from some of the base that posts on message boards.

Simulation Theory opened on the Billboard 200 at #12 (Drones debuted at #1) and has already dropped out of the Top 200 after a month. By comparison, Imagine Dragons' new album was released the same day and still sits at #25. ID's last 2 albums are both still in the Top 200 as well.

On the rock chart, ST dropped from #10 to #45 in the past week.

I'm not sure how much relevance album charts have these days. They certainly shouldn't affect anyone's enjoyment of the music. But they must catch the attention of someone trying to promote an arena tour. The album might not have the legs to hold up until the tour even begins.

I think his point is this album seems to have been more well-received by the fans than the previous two.

Yeah, this. Anecdotal, but I know several people that lost interest during the Drones era because they didn't like the album and the tour production (360 stage) did not appeal to them. They went from being the type of fan to do multiple shows (3+) to doing one or zero. All of those people have jumped back on the bandwagon with this album. :happy:

Except that those chart positions (or no position at all on the current Top 200) are not anecdotal. I don't usually pay attention to the album charts but I looked this one up because I wanted to see if I was "projecting" or not. Take the charts for what they are but it seems pretty dreadful for a supposedly major release to disappear in 3-4 weeks.

Chart success dwindling as a band gets on is pretty natural though, ticket sales usually stay strong through name and reputation. That’s my impression at least.

As for Muse’s situation, I haven’t checked the numbers but I remember the Drones tour not selling amazingly in the US either so I’m not sure much has changed tbh. Like others have mentioned, they’ve never really cemented themselves over there and haven’t had much of a gap since the amphitheatre tour. They could move to smaller venues but they like the bigger productions and crowds. Don’t think it’s a big deal, personally.